6.5 PRC - 130 gr AB vs 140 gr AB

ChrisAU

WKR
Think I may get my hands on a 6.5 PRC soon and I'm a huge fan of Nosler Accubonds. Is there any reason one would choose a 130 over a 140 or the opposite?

EmperorMA

WKR
Other than the best advice of “use what shoots best in your rifle,” I’d say all things being close in terms of accuracy, it would be quite hard for me not to just roll with the 140. Sure, the 130 will be faster, but the 140 retains velocity better and it will actually catch up and pass the 130 in terms of drop and velocity at about 400 - 500 yards.

So, they are close to the same in trajectory out to 400, then the 140 starts to outshine the 130. Both are going plenty fast out of a 6.5 PRC to kill any game animal out to 600 and even farther for the 140. And the only other worry is about how the bullet might hold up if a big bull only presents you a quartering-to shot through the shoulder knuckle at say, 30 yards. Although the AB is a tough bullet and I would expect both sizes to survive this, the extra weight and slightly lower muzzle velocity of the 140 should make it superior in this scenario, as well.

I do see a very valid conundrum when accessing these two bullets in a 6.5 Creedmoor, with its lower MV. But the 6.5 PRC offers plenty of velocity for hunting at any reasonable range with either bullet, and this gives the 140 almost all the advantages, near and far.

Last edited:
My personal experience is with a 6.5 CM and I found 140s to be exceptional performers.
Stick with the standard AB.
Skip the ABLR as I’ve found them to be too frangible under 300 yards at CM velocities.

EmperorMA

WKR
My personal experience is with a 6.5 CM and I found 140s to be exceptional performers.
Stick with the standard AB.
Skip the ABLR as I’ve found them to be too frangible under 300 yards at CM velocities.
Strange, as I’ve found the ABLR to penetrate deeply and hold together quite well at CM speeds. Had one break the off shoulder of an elk before exiting from a distance of 208 yards.

My kids and I have shot 15 WT with ABLR 140’s From 15 yards to 350 yards and most haven’t exited. All went down quick but I’ve never seen an animal with more meat damage than the ones taken with ABLR’s

Standard AB’s tend to perform more like partitions but with more accuracy.