6.5 PRC - 6.5 Creedmoor - life of a Carbon Barrel

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I (like many others) am in the market for a 6.5 creedmoor/PRC. I like the savage 110 ultralight with a proof research barrel.

Essentially I need a rifle for deer/elk that can shoot well with factory ammo. To me, 1/2 - 3/4 MOA is my target accuracy. I am comfortable shooting elk out to 800 with my 300 Winnie, so I think with the right setup I could push 600 or less for elk and smaller game.

Reasoning: I’ve been reloading for almost 10 years (7 mag/300 win mag) and simply don’t have the time for it anymore with kiddos activities, etc.

I talked to the sportsman’s warehouse experts(?) yesterday and I explained all of that to em. They tried real hard to steer my away from a savage and into a Christensen arms ridge line. I’ve already got a Mesa 300 win mag and while it shoots well with handloads, that thing is HEAVY, hence the carbon barrel. Then another expert(?) Says the carbon barrels are only good for 1,000 rounds!?! Is that true? They really pushed a tikka which I wouldn’t be opposed to - just don’t know much about them.

What say the WKR’s out there? TIA.

BBob

WKR
Carbon wrapped barrels don’t last any more or less than a non carbon just because they are carbon. The cartridge will still determine the approximate lifespan of the barrel. Your question should be “what is a barrels life expectancy of a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC”. That info has been talked to death and should be easily searchable for an answer.

Carbons are nice (I own them) but for a simple practical rifle you really can’t go wrong with a Tikka with a sporter all steel barrel.

OP
F

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Understood. Leaning on your expertise, BBob, what is a barrels life expectancy of a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC in aforementioned rifles?

6.5 PRC barrel life is reported to be around 1k rounds of peak accuracy, similar to the 6.5-284 that it basically duplicates.

I was just doing some reading on another forum, I wouldn't take a CA right now if it was given to me. So, of those options: tikka in whichever caliber you choose, Creed will handle out to 600 without issue, even if you cut the barrel for a suppressor. PRC will do the same things, just faster. Ammo availability is a real concern if you're not going to load, in my area creed is easy to find and PRC is only carried at 1 shop.

BBob

WKR
6.5 PRC. I’d say 1200-1500 max, very possibly less depending on powder. Don’t try to compare the original 6.5 SAUM/GAP w/H1000 to the PRC. They are a different beast.
6.5 Creedmoor. Probably double the PRC.

MThuntr

WKR
Creedmoor will likely be 50% more than of the PRC. That's a lot of shooting for the average person either way.

Personally I'd go buy a Christensen Arms over a Savage. Currently there is a $350 rebate on the CA Mesa and Ridgeline until Sept 30. Sportsmans warehouse has several on sale so the prices are very similar even possibly edging out the Savage in price.

gtriple

WKR
What about a Springfield Waypoint in either caliber? Much better rifle than the Christensen for about the same cost.

I love my Tikkas though.

eltaco

WKR
6.5 PRC barrel life is reported to be around 1k rounds of peak accuracy, similar to the 6.5-284 that it basically duplicates.

I was just doing some reading on another forum, I wouldn't take a CA right now if it was given to me. So, of those options: tikka in whichever caliber you choose, Creed will handle out to 600 without issue, even if you cut the barrel for a suppressor. PRC will do the same things, just faster. Ammo availability is a real concern if you're not going to load, in my area creed is easy to find and PRC is only carried at 1 shop.

Do you mind posting the forum you’re referencing. I see some similar comments in a few threads, but also haven’t seen much first hand experience of issues. It’s difficult to discern if there’s a widespread issue, or a bunch of folks who have “heard” of a problem.

I’m in a very similar position as the OP, and Christensen is still on my short list. Especially with the rebate, I end up quite a bit lower cost than some others I’m considering. I have quite a few friends with Christensen rifles and all say they’re incredible… except one guy, and he wouldn’t touch another with a 10’ pole.

I’m not personally too worried about 1000-1300 rounds for barrel life, but that figure above for 500-800 would concern me quite a bit more with a PRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
If you aren't going to reload, the PRC is a terrible choice IMHO. I rarely see factory ammo available. In contrast, I can drive to Cabelas and pick from approximately 10 loads.

In addition to lower barrel wear and better availability, the 6.5 CM offers minimal recoil.

sndmn11

WKR
Personally I'd go buy a Christensen Arms over a Savage. Currently there is a $350 rebate on the CA Mesa and Ridgeline until Sept 30. Sportsmans warehouse has several on sale so the prices are very similar even possibly edging out the Savage in price.

Just a head's up; Sportsman's, among others, is excluded from the rebate. They also have exclusions for discounted purchases.

"*Cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount, promotional offer, or manufacturer rebate. Specifically excludes all purchases from Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels, and Carolina Caliber."

eltaco

WKR
Just a head's up; Sportsman's, among others, is excluded from the rebate. They also have exclusions for discounted purchases.

"*Cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount, promotional offer, or manufacturer rebate. Specifically excludes all purchases from Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels, and Carolina Caliber."

Scheels is offering a $350 gift card with a purchase, I suppose to counter that restriction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if it was 1350 off, why would one buy a ca right now? There are multiple recent reports of guns that can't even safely fire factory ammo. Bore scope shots of new chambers and bores that look like a lunar surface. Their qc has had issues for over a decade and the recent examples look to be their worst efforts ever.

axeforce6

WKR
I’d go PRC every time. No question. Not even in the same ballpark. I get ammo notifications from midsouth shooters supply everyday for available ammo so that should be a worry either. I have several Christensen rifles. I also have savage rifles. If your set on the savage ultra lite buy it. I bet it shoots great.

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Not to detract from the OP but, I am in search of a new lightweight 6.5 prc rifle. I’ve shot Bergara exclusively for the last 2-3 years and absolutely love them.

I am torn between a Bergara Premier Canyon or Christensen Ridgeline FFT (carbon barrel). Price is the same. CA is nearly a full Lb. lighter than Bergara. The biggest concerns I have is QC and break-in on the CA. I’ve never had any issues with either on the bergaras I’ve owned and handled.

Any input from this thread? Barrel life was an initial point of interest/ concern on the PRC for me that lead me here.

Duckboy23

FNG
As far as the Christensen QC problems I can vouch for them personally. Took a lot of work and money at a gunsmith to get them to shoot. Enough so that they'll probably end up as safe queens.

eltaco

WKR
I ended up purchasing a Seekins Element in 6.5 PRC and I’m quite happy with the outcome so far. OP, I think you’ll find they’ll exceed your accuracy requirements even with box ammo and at an extremely low weight despite not having a carbon barrel.

As silly as it sounds, I don’t like the looks of the giant diameter of CF barrel on the CA Ridgeline, and the Seekins Element grew on me the more I looked at it. I really couldn’t find a negative word against Seekins quality and there was plenty to deter me from a CA.

I can’t speak to barrel life, but I doubt I’ll shoot enough box ammo for it to be a concern for me as a hunting rifle, either.

Mine is all setup and ready for my 11yo to fill his tag before this season comes to an end!