6.5 PRC and 280ai

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I took my bull this year at 940 with my 6.5 SAUM, it killed him but I'll be honest terminal results were really poor,and I'd never do it again past 600 yards with a 6.5
I would go 7mm and shoot 180's, give the 7 Saum a hard look, and check out the newly released ADG brass.
Pretty much perfect for what you're wanting to do. Good luck

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I took my bull this year at 940 with my 6.5 SAUM, it killed him but I'll be honest terminal results were really poor,and I'd never do it again past 600 yards with a 6.5
I would go 7mm and shoot 180's, give the 7 Saum a hard look, and check out the newly released ADG brass.
Pretty much perfect for what you're wanting to do. Good luck

The 7 saum and the 280 AI are ballistic twins. If you own a short action the saum is the obvious choice, if its a long action the 280 AI.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

What bullet, and why was performance “poor”?

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
What bullet, and why was performance “poor”?
I used a 147 ELD M, the bullet performed well. The shot was a tad high, in the rear of the shoulder. It blew through and caught the top of the lungs, luckily it was a steep upward shooting angle and the bullet shattered the spine.
I thought he was dead but upon getting closer I had to shoot him again, the lung shot should have killed him quick but there was very little damage to the lungs. Just not enough retained energy for a quick kill, and I won't do it again beyond 600 maybe 700 yards.
I've taken 3 bulls with that combo, the 147 is a killer but don't use it up close, I always carry partitions in the chamber.

nagibson1

FNG
I used a 147 ELD M, the bullet performed well. The shot was a tad high, in the rear of the shoulder. It blew through and caught the top of the lungs, luckily it was a steep upward shooting angle and the bullet shattered the spine.
I thought he was dead but upon getting closer I had to shoot him again, the lung shot should have killed him quick but there was very little damage to the lungs. Just not enough retained energy for a quick kill, and I won't do it again beyond 600 maybe 700 yards.
I've taken 3 bulls with that combo, the 147 is a killer but don't use it up close, I always carry partitions in the chamber.
I think that's really interesting that you have an up close round that I'm assuming is very close in point of aim to your other round, out to say 200 yards with a more strongly constructed bullet, and then you have another round on hand for longer shots. That's a really neat way to handle the expansion conundrum for overhot loads in close if you also shoot beyond say 300yds.