6.5 PRC barrel length?

DEW0341

WKR
Barrel length 24” or 26” non suppressed??? Looking at a proof carbon in one of those lengths. Wondering what the data is on 143 ELD-x, 147 ELD-m and possibly 156 Berger EOL elite hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR
I have a 24" carbon wrapped 5 groove and it sends 156 Bergers just over 3K. We just built a sheep rifle with the same barrel in 20"

Any numbers yet from the 20in barrel? Also could you share what powder you are using? I am considering a build in either 20 or 22in for the same purpose. Would like to keep at least the 143 eld-x over 2900fps MV.

Broz

WKR
Any numbers yet from the 20in barrel? Also could you share what powder you are using? I am considering a build in either 20 or 22in for the same purpose. Would like to keep at least the 143 eld-x over 2900fps MV.
I will have data soon but first tests will be with 143 ELDX factory ammo. And maybe some 147 ELD M factory.

The 147 factory runs 2950 ish from my 24" after the barrel seated in and settled down.

The 156 load is at max with N-565 in ADG brass and shoots little tiny holes just over 3K

Guys, I strongly recommend using barrels with a minimum groove count of 5. We are already seeing bullets coming apart in 4 grooves from the PRC's. 4 groove barrels have lands much wider then a 5 groove and are damaging thin jacketed cup core bullets.

Last edited:

carter33

WKR
Which of the popular 6.5 bullets are considered thin jacket other than the 147 ELD-M? The Berger VLDs? I was planning on using a proof barrel which seem to all be 4 groove in .264. I could live without shooting the ELD-M if the ELD-X and Berger VLDs are good to go. May have to look at another barrel manufacturer.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
I have a 24" carbon wrapped 5 groove and it sends 156 Bergers just over 3K. We just built a sheep rifle with the same barrel in 20"

Which barrel manufacture are you running on each of these set ups respectively?! Thanks ahead of time for the intel and heads up

Broz

WKR
Which of the popular 6.5 bullets are considered thin jacket other than the 147 ELD-M? The Berger VLDs? I was planning on using a proof barrel which seem to all be 4 groove in .264. I could live without shooting the ELD-M if the ELD-X and Berger VLDs are good to go. May have to look at another barrel manufacturer.

The 147 ELD M is possibly the thinest and are what we are hearing about coming apart in flight in 4 grooves. Its not all of them, but we have seen it in more that a couple cases. The 143 ELD X has a thicker jacket that increases in thickness as you go back towards the boat tail. The 156 Berger is also thin and just a tad thicker than the 147 M. But we havent seen the Bergers come apart yet.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
Broz,

would you say the 143 eldx is then better suited with the 4 groove rifling at higher velocity? I have used the 143 in the past for hunting and I am confident in its ability so that’s mainly what I planned on using in the 6.5 PRC.

Broz

WKR
Broz,

would you say the 143 eldx is then better suited with the 4 groove rifling at higher velocity? I have used the 143 in the past for hunting and I am confident in its ability so that’s mainly what I planned on using in the 6.5 PRC.

Yes I would. But my prediction is even the 143 X could be weakened and initial expansion be an issue from a 4 groove 7 twist with big velocity above 3K.

Here is a cutaway pic for reference. 147 M on the left 143 X on the right

Broz,

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. We built a couple 6.5 prc's for muleys etc with the hopes of running the 147's or maybe 143's in it. They have proof 1-7.5 on them... I havent had any issues as of yet but I'm now pretty nervous. They do have a modified lands profile to hopefully help with the issue according to my buidler. (Working on seeing if I can get more info on that) we aren't much of reloaders but maybe will have to for these...

BadDogPSD

WKR
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. We built a couple 6.5 prc's for muleys etc with the hopes of running the 147's or maybe 143's in it. They have proof 1-7.5 on them... I havent had any issues as of yet but I'm now pretty nervous. They do have a modified lands profile to hopefully help with the issue according to my buidler. (Working on seeing if I can get more info on that) we aren't much of reloaders but maybe will have to for these...
Was in a class last week shooting next to a guy using Hornady Precision Hunter 147 factory ammo in his 6.5 PRC with an 8 twist 26" Proof carbon barrel. He had no bullet issues and the rifle was a laser beam out to 1500.

I will have data soon but first tests will be with 143 ELDX factory ammo. And maybe some 147 ELD M factory.

The 147 factory runs 2950 ish from my 24" after the barrel seated in and settled down.

The 156 load is at max with N-565 in ADG brass and shoots little tiny holes just over 3K

Guys, I strongly recommend using barrels with a minimum groove count of 5. We are already seeing bullets coming apart in 4 grooves from the PRC's. $ groove barrels have lands much wider then a 5 groove and are damaging thin jacketed cup core bullets.
IF those bullets are coming apart that easily imagine the possibilities …….

Kotaman

WKR

22” Proof Gunwerks Clymr with Factory 143 ELD X = 2879

I will add I’ve killed quite a few critters with this combo with excellent results. Bighorn sheep, Stone Sheep, Fannin, Caribou, and several deer. From 110 yards to 485 yards all were bang flop, most had small entrance, with quarter sized exit. The exception was the Caribou at 475. It was a big animal and I shot it three times before it went down. One bullet recovered in off hide and looked great. Other two passed through.

Last edited: