6.5 PRC - Browning HC or Bergara Wilderness Ridge

TygerJ

FNG
Looking into factory 6.5 PRC hunting rifles and at a crossroads. Use would be antelope/mule deer/general range shooting and the occasional use on elk. Seeking inputs on these options.

Browning Hells Canyon Speed vs. Bergara Wilderness Ridge.

Chose these two options as they both offer: 6.5 PRC caliber, cerakoted, and threaded with radial muzzle brakes. 24” barrels. Both retail around $1k.

Hells Canyon Speed specs indicate it’s lighter weight (~1lb); fluted barrel, has +1 mag capacity advantage (3 in mag), is modestly more expensive, and has the arid/bronze coloration of stock/barrel. Don’t love the coloration, but appreciate the other specs.

Bergara Wilderness Ridge is heavier barreled (non-fluted), internal mag only holds 2 rounds, but have heard/read a lot of people have had great experiences with Bergara rifles; nice stock and supposedly very accurate.

Anyone have any experiences between these options to help advise?

Thanks!

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Should note, I’m mostly seeking information on their build quality, accuracy, dependability, durability, etc.

Forest

WKR
The hells canyon long range would be a better comparison to the ridge. The speed is more like the hunter model.
Other than that I'm curious as to what others think. FitnFinish seems better on the browning than the bergaras that I've looked at (not the new wilderness series.) But both should shoot well. And the bergara has a plethora of aftermarket goodies if ever wanted

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Another candidate seeming to fit into my requirements is the CA Mesa. More expensive than either the HC Speed or Bergara Wilderness Ridge, but specs looks solid.

LightFoot

WKR
I agree with the above about the better comparison being the Hells Canyon Long Range.

I have two xbolts and the fit and finish are very good. The only downside to my Brownings is the trigger. However $13 for a MCARBO spring solves that problem.

Bergara are shooters. My Brownings are shooters, too.

I like the tang safety on the Browning.

Neither choice is wrong.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Agree the HC LR probably compares better to the Ridge from a heavier barrel perspective, and the HC Speed is probably more similar to the Hunter. Reason for me picking the HC Speed vs Ridge here is that the Ridge has a threaded barrel, but the Hunter does not; have to jump up to the Ridge in their lineup to get that feature.

LightFoot

WKR
Agree the HC LR probably compares better to the Ridge from a heavier barrel perspective, and the HC Speed is probably more similar to the Hunter. Reason for me picking the HC Speed vs Ridge here is that the Ridge has a threaded barrel, but the Hunter does not; have to jump up to the Ridge in their lineup to get that feature.
Then the choice is clear: Browning.

You clearly want the lighter barrel, sporter rifle with cerakote and threaded barrel/brake. Bergara does not offer that.

The CA Mesa may be a good alternative.

>>>----JAKE----->

Dcrafton

WKR
My neighbor and shooting/hunting buddy is Brownings product manager and we have compared at the range those two rifles.
Browning hands down. No question about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I’m big into the browning Xbolts. They fit good. Shoulder good. Shoot good. I like the tang safety. Quick and easy to use without taking an eye off the scope to look for it. Mine all drive tacks which is great. Upgrade the trigger spring for $13 from mcarbo and then adjust it and I don’t think you can beat that set up. I like the thread muzzle. I left the break on but if I want to change it or so something else I can. Great guns. But like I read before in another post can’t wrong with any of them no wrong choice.

Forest

WKR
My neighbor and shooting/hunting buddy is Brownings product manager and we have compared at the range those two rifles.
Browning hands down. No question about it.

I'm guessing he is good at his job lol. Care to elaborate?? Don't get me wrong I own a love multiple brownings. But a Chevy dealer's job is to convince you they are better than Ford

Dcrafton

WKR
I'm guessing he is good at his job lol. Care to elaborate?? Don't get me wrong I own a love multiple brownings. But a Chevy dealer's job is to convince you they are better than Ford

Well, when I get to shoot what he has, Browning and other brands (they buy all brands ) and compare to Browning at the range.
Browning x-bolts just flat out shoot. I love their short throw bolts as well.
Now that being said, I own one Bergara HMR in a 6.5cm and zero Browning rifles. Most of all my rifles are customs.
I just have the opportunity to see and shoot all the new stuff, even before it is released to the public.
Some cool things coming soon.

Michael17

FNG
I just bought the Bergara Wilderness Ridge in .300 win mag. The fit and finish is very good. The stock is stiff and tacky, but not too tacky. The cerakote is very nice. The muzzle break works very good. The recoil was less than a 30-06. I can’t really speak to the accuracy yet as I have only shot 4 rounds.

My only complaint is that it is just a tad heavy, but I think that is probably not the worst thing in a .300. I plan on shooting some handloads today and will be speak more on the accuracy after.

UBear

FNG
I do not have any input on the Browning or Bergara but, my brother has a Sauer 100 Atacama w/24" threaded barrel in 6.5 PRC, just over 7 lbs. Very nice bolt throw & good quality build. He's getting sub .5 moa groups.
Priced right at $1000 (might be worth checking out...if you can stomach the desert camo theme)