6.5 PRC build with some action/fit questions

I am thinking I will start the process of building a 6.5 prc this fall so I have it back by next summer. I want an action with milled bases like the lone peak Fuzion or the defiance deviant ultralight (have one on another rifle, nice action). It’ll go in a manners eh1, carbon barrel (mulling options right, probably will have mike at Hell Canyon do the build since I’m happy with my 300wsm he did), trigger tech special, Hawkins BDL, likely topped with a mark5 3-18.

My question is will the defiance medium action (which fits a SA footprint) work for the PRC? Or do I need to go to the XM? Same question on lone peak....can I use the short action or do I need to go medium?

I already have a manners EH1 cut for a rem 700 short action and the Hawkins bottom metal. If I had to go with a medium action, could a gunsmith open up my manners and mill it out to make it fit? Or am I just better off getting a new stock?

carter33

WKR
I have a 6.5 PRC built with the lone peak medium action. If you want to use the longer bullets such as the 156 Berger’s I think you would want to go with the medium. I initially loaded and ran the 156s but have since switched to 143 eldxs. If you aren’t reloading short would probably work though. I am sure your gunsmith could give you a definitive answer.

Really loving the lone peak fuzion though. I have a defiance action in another 300 winmag build and I know in my mind and from what I have read they are sorta the “benchmark” and lone peak is every bit as good so far.

OP
B
Thanks, I think you are right on needing the medium or defiance XM length action. The more I read, most custom builds are utilizing those lengths. I was trying to my manners stock to make it a little easier, but I know I would regret not doing the build the proper way

Does anyone knows about milling out a carbon manners stock to fit a longer action, is that even possible? I imagine the actions screws are spaced differently and it’s not, but I am no expert...

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Thanks, I think you are right on needing the medium or defiance XM length action. The more I read, most custom builds are utilizing those lengths. I was trying to my manners stock to make it a little easier, but I know I would regret not doing the build the proper way

Does anyone knows about milling out a carbon manners stock to fit a longer action, is that even possible? I imagine the actions screws are spaced differently and it’s not, but I am no expert...

The XM action has different inlet length and screw spacing than the Defiance medium action. Manners told me I needed to order a different stock to fit mine.

Savagenut

WKR
Mill the mag box and get a Wyatt’s box. You’ll be fine. Use what you have and rock and roll. IMO If you wanted a long action get something with more horsepower.

3” box will work for a lot of good bullets but if you must be at the lands with a 156 or A Tip the xm will give you more breathing room.

Pootros

FNG
You could prob get an Impact Precision 737 with a Proof barrel in a month from Blue Mountain Precision. I have one of theirs in a Manners EH1 with the mini chassis and it is stupid accurate, even with factory loads. I think I was three weeks from the time of order to it being at my door. The smith, Eric, offers two different freebores depending on if you want to shoot factory stuff or not. He could prob tell you if your stock would work.

You could prob get an Impact Precision 737 with a Proof barrel in a month from Blue Mountain Precision. I have one of theirs in a Manners EH1 with the mini chassis and it is stupid accurate, even with factory loads. I think I was three weeks from the time of order to it being at my door. The smith, Eric, offers two different freebores depending on if you want to shoot factory stuff or not. He could prob tell you if your stock would work.

Yeah, they do a lot of lone peaks too if OP wanted medium action. I talked with them a bit recently about a barreled action but elected to go with a smith that had the 6.5x47 reamer I preferred on hand. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from them though!