6.5 PRC bullet selection

Fish2keel

FNG
Pictured is an exit would from a 127gr Barnes LRX. (Hornady new brass, WLRM primers, 58gr. H1000, loaded at 2.910”) This was a relatively close shot but the amount of damage was undeniable. Basically liquified lungs and dropped him on the spot.

I had my doubts about the Barnes but being in CA I didn’t have a choice. After this I will be sticking with the LRX even out of state. Not to mention accuracy is 1/2 MOA at 100yrds and I’m pushing that LRX ≈3119fps with an ES of 4fps across 5 shots. (Rifle is a browning x-bolt pro 24”).

Barnes claims good expansion down to 1500fps on the LRX so looking at a ballistics calculator that gives me expansion out to roughly 900yards. I have 1500 ft-lbs out to about 400yrds and 1000 ft-lbs to 650yrds. I think anything elk sized and down this bullet would serve you well. View attachment 342204

View attachment 342192
Is this from a PRC? That seems slow for a 127 out of a PRC

Timrellis

FNG
That does seem slow. My 147 gr ELD-M go 3050.
Yes it’s out of a PRC. My goal wasn’t to push the velocity limit but rather tight groups. Found a good Velocity node right there (ES of 4fps) and stuck with it. At that velocity it will do everything I need it to. I’m sure I could push it faster (showing absolutely 0 pressure signs). But my goal is consistency not setting the high score on my chrono.

Yes it’s out of a PRC. My goal wasn’t to push the velocity limit but rather tight groups. Found a good Velocity node right there (ES of 4fps) and stuck with it. At that velocity it will do everything I need it to. I’m sure I could push it faster (showing absolutely 0 pressure signs). But my goal is consistency not setting the high score on my chrono.
It’s all good. Accuracy is paramount. My old 6.5-284 used a load that was slow but would do a 3-shot group @ 200 that a dime would cover. Sometimes in life you just have to take “yes” for an answer.

Wrench

WKR
700 yards impact velocities will result in relatively poor, to no, bullet upset with Barnes or Hammers. Monos are a poor choice for extended range terminal effects. The rest that you listed will kill fine at your stated ranges.

That’s not how bullets work. The lower the impact velocity, the less expansion/upset, the deeper (not shallower) the penetration. There is no match bullet mentioned that has any issue at all going through a scapula at 700 yards. The problem at 700 yards is minimal bullet upset causing insufficient tissue damage, not penetration.

100%

Here is on and offside scapula from an elk at 742iirc. Impact velocity around 1800fps 142smk or 140mb...i forget nowScreenshot_2015-02-10-00-17-23.png. This elk fell on its nose and never budged.

Have you personally used mono and had issues?
Hammers are a touch softer copper per Steve but again I wouldn't trust any mono below 2000 pfs even 2200. My kid shot a goat at 280 yards with 120 tots in her 7/08ai leaving the muzzle at 3156 and double lunge and penciled!! I have a bit better luck with my 280ai and 143 Has leaving the barrel at 3180 antelope at 400 and 250 dead but again that's not long range. Im getting the 156 Bergers shooting well out of my 6.5 scum to 3040 fps hoping to be my do all but may go a diff direction for an elk gun which direction I don't know

I have a few hundred of 147eldm's and have been looking for some 143's. THe wife has a Seekins PH2 Havak and I'll have her run factory ammo while I'm building a PRC on a Nucleus and Benchmark barrel. I picked up a couple hundred 127 LRX's at to high of a price but I'll see what those can do.

Stalker69

WKR
Every one talks about pushing the monos fast, does any body use the hammer hunter 117 gr, or the lighter ones 97 gr. ?

JakeSCH

WKR
Every one talks about pushing the monos fast, does any body use the hammer hunter 117 gr, or the lighter ones 97 gr. ?

Guys are using the 85 gr on deer with incredible results. Pushing them near 4k out the barrel with a 6.5 Max and 6.5 WM's, I'm sure you could get near those velocities with the PRC as well.

I'll try it once I use up more of my supply.

Those of you using 156 bergers, any experience running them at SAAMI length? My bergara has basically no extra room in the mag, but I’m still tempted to give them a go.

skeptic

FNG
Another vote for the 124 Hammer for me. I built a pretty non traditional rifle for a "project" gun and a mountain goat hunt. 6.5 PRC, 18" Proof Carbon, TBAC Ultra 7. I wanted a relatively lightweight, softer shooting, rifle. Pretty happy so far. I am getting right at 3000 fps using 4831sc and so far have my goat and a cow elk utilzing it. good combo.

jlpoe

FNG
Berger 156 has done wonders in my experience. We have shot 6 or so deer and a few elk with it over the past 2 years and everything died with 1 shot.
In your humble opinion sir, as I'm "seconds" away from "pulling the trigger" on a weapon - haha, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your actual experience of taking Elk with the 6.5 PRC in done under 500-600 yards with a well chosen broadside shot? Have considered many factors, but recoil and hence muzzle break loudness are pretty concerning for me so magnums aren't really an option in my mind.

I'm soooooo close to being convinced as I want a kind of do-it-all one gun cartridge for ELK on down. :)

Berger 156 has done wonders in my experience. We have shot 6 or so deer and a few elk with it over the past 2 years and everything died with 1 shot.
Been curious about this myself... do you have the load data for your Berger 156 loads?

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had great results with the 147 ELD-M over the last 2 years. I’ve taken 4 deer; and none of them have taken a step. Those were all at relatively close range, though.

Several javelinas have been shot from 400-600 yards as well, and the damage has been good there as well.

I’ve only got 30 rounds of them left unfortunately. I just scored a box of 156 Bergers, but finding brass has still been a problem. I’ll have Hornady brass at least once I shoot through the ELDM. Not ideal, but better than nothing!

Last edited: