6.5 prc loads

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I just purchased a 6.5 prc weatherby vanguard synthetic 24” barrel. I’m gonna be shooting 147gr eldm and Hornady brass, cci 200 primers and h1000 powder. I’m gonna start with around 57 grains and see how it is. Before I start is there anyone that knows this is a recipe for disaster or anyone have some tips for a first time load developer? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
Where did you come up with that recipe? Please do not tell me someone told you it was an awesome load for their gun. I see people ask all the time for a good load with this bullet and this powder. Every gun and chamber is different and want works for one gun may be a recipe for disaster in another. I am willing to help you via pm. While I think you will be ok with that load you are at the top of the range per Hornady. more than likely you will have and swipe and heavy bolt lift.

I will talk you through the process of developing a load for your gun that is safe and shoots awesome.

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you come up with that recipe? Please do not tell me someone told you it was an awesome load for their gun. I see people ask all the time for a good load with this bullet and this powder. Every gun and chamber is different and want works for one gun may be a recipe for disaster in another. I am willing to help you via pm. While I think you will be ok with that load you are at the top of the range per Hornady. more than likely you will have and swipe and heavy bolt lift.

I will talk you through the process of developing a load for your gun that is safe and shoots awesome.

I just found it off the Hornady website. I always try to run the fastest possible because I do lol. I also have 4831 I may try

archp625

WKR
I just found it off the Hornady website. I always try to run the fastest possible because I do lol. I also have 4831 I may try

That's all fine and dandy but your gun might not like the fastest and may not have the best group with the fastest. In my experience every pressure test I have done has three nodes. Once you see those three nodes you can pick roughly what speed you are wanting. For me reloading is paying attention to what your gun is telling you. If you are just going to shoot at 100 yards then none of this matters except for what is safe in your gun.

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
That's all fine and dandy but your gun might not like the fastest and may not have the best group with the fastest. In my experience every pressure test I have done has three nodes. Once you see those three nodes you can pick roughly what speed you are wanting. For me reloading is paying attention to what your gun is telling you. If you are just going to shoot at 100 yards then none of this matters except for what is safe in your gun.

Gonna be shooting 1000 plus. Definitely gonna do lots of testing

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
as stated above i would start low and work up... H1000 pressured out really fast in my prc... i believe my chamber is fairly tight though. your results may vary though. if you can find it though i have had much improved accuracy with rl25 and rl26 in the prc. again this could just be my gun. half the fun for me is tinkering and developing a load... i addition i would look into doing a ladder test and finding velocity nodes that your gun likes. unknown munitions had a great thread on how to do this. if you do not have a magnetospeed or chronograph i would buy one, not sure how i ever developed loads with out one.

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
IM confused by this post. You asked for help and asked a question. Now you are basically telling me you know what you are doing and are going to shoot 1000 yards.

I’ve never loaded for a 6.5, and I don’t have any friends that have one. With all my other guns my dad or my friends have one so I’ve never had to completely start from scratch sorry

archp625

WKR
I’ve never loaded for a 6.5, and I don’t have any friends that have one. With all my other guns my dad or my friends have one so I’ve never had to completely start from scratch sorry

You don't have to be sorry at all. We are just trying to help you.

I will start over an answer your question.

I think starting with 57 grains of H-1000 is not the smartest. As someone else posted. I would do a ladder/pressure test first. a few different ways people do this. Start with one round of 55.0 and working up in 0.2-0.5 grains at a time. Some people shoot through a chronograph and look for nodes. Also some people shoot at a piece of paper at say 500 yards and look for loads that are on the same plane vertically. Do not worry about horizontal.

Once you find a node or a couple holes that are on the same plane. load for groups at different seating depths. that should tighten up the horizontal.

I will also mention that a new barrel tends to speed up and I have had difficulty working up a load during this time. I always have to decrease powder back to the sweet spot.

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
You don't have to be sorry at all. We are just trying to help you.

I will start over an answer your question.

I think starting with 57 grains of H-1000 is not the smartest. As someone else posted. I would do a ladder/pressure test first. a few different ways people do this. Start with one round of 55.0 and working up in 0.2-0.5 grains at a time. Some people shoot through a chronograph and look for nodes. Also some people shoot at a piece of paper at say 500 yards and look for loads that are on the same plane vertically. Do not worry about horizontal.

Once you find a node or a couple holes that are on the same plane. load for groups at different seating depths. that should tighten up the horizontal.

I will also mention that a new barrel tends to speed up and I have had difficulty working up a load during this time. I always have to decrease powder back to the sweet spot.

Thank you! Also seating lengths and lands are foreign to me. I’ve always just loaded as long as my mag is minus a couple thousandths and went with it, any advice?

SDHNTR

WKR

DO NOT start there. Every reloading manual out ther will tell you to start low and work your way up. Never start at the top of the range of published data. You are asking for disaster.

No offense, but not being familiar with "lands" and seating depths tells me you are new at reloading. I'd strongly suggest you do some extensive research and reading before getting behind a press. There are a ton of YouTube series on reloading basics too. Get the basics down before you get too far ahead of yourself. This is risky business to the uninformed.

archp625

WKR
Thank you! Also seating lengths and lands are foreign to me. I’ve always just loaded as long as my mag is minus a couple thousandths and went with it, any advice?

There are a few ways to do this measurement. First you want to measure your magazine length. A general guide I use is back off 0.004" from that number and that is the longest COAL you should go to have your magazine function properly. I always test to make sure once you have some rounds loaded.

To measure headspace you can buy and Hornady (or something similar) Comparator tool and a drilled case or take a once fired piece of brass and dent the neck opening a little. Take the bullet of choice, without powder and put in the neck push into chamber all the way. Them slowly take out and measure CBTO or COAL. CBTO is a much more accurate measurement to make sure your loads are always so far from the lands.

archp625

WKR

A You Tube series that is really awesome is Panhandle Precision. Same walks your through the process so good. I have not seen another video series that's explains it better. Watch all of them, then watch them again.

zwickeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Some great advice here

I am working up some loads for my Xbolt in 6.5 PRC at this time. I only have RL26 so hope thats the powder. Like has been said. Every gun is different. I will be running RL26 and 3 different bullets and hope I can get one to shine

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
New to 6.5 PRC, but not new to reloading. Based on Hornady's manual it appears that IMR 4831 is virtually the same as RL 22. (both of which I happen to have). If you were going to sell your arm and a leg to buy another powder to reload this round, what powder would you buy? Thanks.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
My end load was 58.5 grains H1000. 147eldms, 210 primers Hornady brass. But I ladder tested starting at 54 grains. I wouldnt even think about starting at 57 grains as most have said.