6.5 PRC On Elk

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I got my wife a 260AI this year from RBros and the thing shoots lights out, she killed a 183 inch mule deer in Wyoming with it last week at 996. This really makes me feel good that its an elk capable cartridge, which I was a little unsure of. Thanks for the write up

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to you both, that is awesome. Funny how you say she wasn't comfortable with the 80 yard shot but then the 700+ yards was nothing. Good shooting! Have you been able to get an estimate on what the impact velocity would have been? Pretty cool that at that range the ELDM performed like that.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Congrats to you both, that is awesome. Funny how you say she wasn't comfortable with the 80 yard shot but then the 700+ yards was nothing. Good shooting! Have you been able to get an estimate on what the impact velocity would have been? Pretty cool that at that range the ELDM performed like that.

We need to practice more off hand shooting:) The elk were moving through the tree fast. She is very proficient in the prone or off of shooting sticks. The impact velocity was 2000 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan, I know you know your way around many calibers so my question to you is would you consider this 6.5 as a one and only deer/elk caliber or would you be uncomfortable with that?

Jon Boy

WKR
Had very similar results with the 162 eldm in 7mm08 on a bull at 600. Ill post my findings on a different thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Congrats Avery's. Very nice shooting Tanya!

That is a sweet little rifle, i want one.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, I know you know your way around many calibers so my question to you is would you consider this 6.5 as a one and only deer/elk caliber or would you be uncomfortable with that?

I don't think I am educated enough to say yet on the 6.5 PRC. It worked better than I expected at 80 yards. I would have liked to see what that first shot would have done on Tanya elk without the follow-up shot. The rifle is wickedly accurate and damn nice to shoot over the big 30 cals especially for Tanya.

We have three deer tags and two more elk tags, so I will probably have a better Idea on the PRC in a couple of months.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, what BC are you using to get your dope to line up with the 147?

I'm pushing them at 2850 out of a 6.5x55 wildcat and had to bump it up to .715 G1 to get it to line up.

Pretty impressive bullet for sure.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan, what BC are you using to get your dope to line up with the 147?

I'm pushing them at 2850 out of a 6.5x55 wildcat and had to bump it up to .715 G1 to get it to line up.

Pretty impressive bullet for sure.

I had issues with this as well. I used Applied Ballistics custom curve and it’s been perfect out to 1400 yards.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The only issues i know of are guys shooting them out of 28s..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Haha, he is shooting them out of a 28. His daughter crushed this bull with my Redrock 28 Nosler using 180 ELD-Ms
51336480020844ff49d4aadb64279095.jpg

WRO

WKR
Haha, he is shooting them out of a 28. His daughter crushed this bull with my Redrock 28 Nosler using 180 ELD-Ms
51336480020844ff49d4aadb64279095.jpg

My buddies killed 2 bulls with them, but it took the 13 total shots. But to be fair, shooting them squarely in the shoulder at under a 100 isn't probably the best choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DEW0341

WKR
We have three deer tags and two more elk tags, so I will probably have a better Idea on the PRC in a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

Ryan will you be posting the after actions on the 6.5 PRC for these tags on this thread??

Thanks

Jon Boy

WKR
Looking for that thread. What twist?
Factory tikka which i believe is 9.5. Hoping to have some more tags punched with it before i write a review. One of the bullets recovered from the elk was 108 grains on the hide of the exit. Shot a mule deer the same day at 250. Baseball size exit out of shoulder with some decent size jacket fragments recovered. Enoromous amount of damage that lead to a mostly unsalvagable shoulder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't think I am educated enough to say yet on the 6.5 PRC. It worked better than I expected at 80 yards. I would have liked to see what that first shot would have done on Tanya elk without the follow-up shot. The rifle is wickedly accurate and damn nice to shoot over the big 30 cals especially for Tanya.

We have three deer tags and two more elk tags, so I will probably have a better Idea on the PRC in a couple of months.

I’ve watched and rewatched that video and keep coming back. I completely understand the second shot in the moment-
But his posture in the moment before the second shot or before the impact at least is defintely saying he’s dead on his feet. Prett sure that if he could’ve moved out he would’ve when he spun around. I wouldn’t give him another 2-3 full seconds beyond when the second shot dropped him had y’all waited. Again this is all the benefit of the video- I’d have put another one in as well, not questioning the call. I use 7-08 at evey range for every animal nowadays and especially after a few moose of my own and bunch of my buddies while I lived in AK-
I got more comfortable with seeing them not “register the hit” more decisively. There’s definetly a difference in how they respond to a 30 or 33, but it hasn’t affected the status of my freezer and the feel good factor of the impeccable marksmanship the smaller round contributes to overrides the feel good factor of seeing “a harder hit”

If any of that makes sense. Look forward to your updates. I spent sometime at my gunsmiths flat 100-200 yard range with a 6.5 PRC that he built
Nice Rifle but not Any kind of a session that gives a feel for the cartridge.