6.5 PRC Once Fired Brass Sizing Trouble

Literally the exact same thing happened with my Redding Die in 6.5 PRC. It was so unreasonably tight. If I put enough lube to not get it stuck, it would dent the shoulders. I just kept cleaning the die and denting shoulders in the process. The die had to kind of break-in and I didn’t mind shooting the dented ones. It was ultra ultra tight. This never happened with my 260 Remington Redding Dies.

Wrench

WKR
When you use the lube, very very little is needed for the neck. The bottom 2/3 of the body is where the work is being done. I've taken 300 clear to .22 and .30 to .375 and the reverse.

You can measure the bottom of the die and ensure it's at diameter, but when a new case goes in....it should say all you need to hear.

Fwiw, I have been through 1.5 bottles of RCBS case lube since 1994. I have over 30 sets of dies. The stuff works great and lasts forever.

I recently tried the lanolin and alcohol to see if it could speed up my progressive time. It's also effective....but messier.

4ester

WKR
Does anyone else notice that 6.5 PRC seems to be the common denominator on these threads?

I think issues on Hornady’s Specs on reamer and brass are snowballing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I've not followed the 6.5 PRC brass issue for a while so I don't know if they have figured out the resizing issues with it? You should not be having any issues at all after the first firing. A stuck case is a lube issue. Redding makes some very nice dies.

The issue usually happens after a few firings on the brass. I was going to build a 6.5 PRC but am glad I held off.

I built a 6.5 PRC on a Tikka action about 3 years ago and haven't had these problems using first Hornady and now ADG brass. It's extremely accurate with RL-25, RL-26 & 156 Bergers. My favorite rifle in my safe.

The Hornady brass I did have issues with loose primer pockets but ADG has solved that problem.

I built a 6.5 PRC on a Tikka action about 3 years ago and haven't had these problems using first Hornady and now ADG brass. It's extremely accurate with RL-25, RL-26 & 156 Bergers. My favorite rifle in my safe.

The Hornady brass I did have issues with loose primer pockets but ADG has solved that problem.
Which dies are you reloading with?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I had the same issue in a FL Redding die resizing once fired Hornady 280ai brass after drill in torch annealing attempt. I was using One Shot lube and stuck like 5 cases out of 100, terrible experience. I have since switched to homemade lanolin lube (which has produced amazing results on other brass) and bought an annealing machine. Haven't resized the 280 brass yet, but my point being I don't think it's exclusively a 6.5 PRC thing. Looking like either a possible Redding issue, or the annealing as mentioned.

OP
Gminobe

Gminobe

FNG
Update on the sizing dilemma. Long story short, it was a lubing issue as many here had mentioned.

Ordered another Redding FL die from Midway and received it a couple of days ago. Went to the range and fired a couple pieces of new brass, cleaned them and did not anneal them.

After cleaning out the manufacturer oils I applied a little bit of imperial sizing wax to the inside of the die and expander ball. Was immediately met with a lot of resistance same as the last time I stuck the case, but kept relubricating and working it just a little bit further each time. Eventually, I got the first piece to size all the way. After that the die worked fine on the non-annealed and annealed brass. The press still had a decent amount of resistance but was MUCH smoother, night and day difference.

Just needed to break in the new die and get it properly lubed. Was definitely afraid of applying to much wax and denting the case, I’ll keep an eye out for that though from now on.

Sent an email to Redding concerning my issue and their response was:

The 6.5 PRC has been a problem child with case sizing here is the method we have found to work the best.
First use Imperial Sizing Die Wax pre treat inside bottom of die with imperial on a swab, lube case with Imperial and size only 1/3 of the case remove and lube again install farther in die then remove and lube again this time inserting all the way into die. Generally after 2 to 3 cases using this method sizing becomes much easier with much better results.
This cartridge has been troublesome since its introduction for sizing we have found that this method using Imperial is the best way to go.

A lot of overthinking the situation here but I learned a lot. Hope this helps as it sounds like some other new 6.5 PRC reloaded might be running into these issues!

Marble

WKR
Well that's good news!

I'm using Hornaday and have only done th inital load. When I go to resize I'll be mindful of any resistance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

10bands

FNG
Anybody have anything to add regarding the sizing die issues?

I was just about to order Redding dies for a 6.5 PRC and randomly saw this thread. I can get Hornady dies locally. Does this seem to be a Redding issue? Saw a youtube video where a guy had this problem with his Redding dies. He sent it to Redding and bought a Lee sizing die while he was waiting. He had no problems with the Lee die but he did pre-lube it.

Strange i get more fireings before primer pockets loosen up with hornady

OP
Gminobe

Gminobe

FNG
Anybody have anything to add regarding the sizing die issues?

I was just about to order Redding dies for a 6.5 PRC and randomly saw this thread. I can get Hornady dies locally. Does this seem to be a Redding issue? Saw a youtube video where a guy had this problem with his Redding dies. He sent it to Redding and bought a Lee sizing die while he was waiting. He had no problems with the Lee die but he did pre-lube it.
We got the Redding die to work. Initially cleaned the new die of all manufacturing oils etc. w/ solvent. After that, applied ample amounts of imperial sizing die wax to the inside of the die, neck to base. Lubed the case and began resizing the case in steps. There was a lot of resistance but kept working the case a little further each time and re applying lube to case until it eventually sized all the way. Once we got that first case to resize, it went much smoother after that with no problems.

Don’t necessarily think it’s an issue with the die but it does take quite a lot of work to get it properly prepped. When I emailed Redding about the issue, they did say that they had been having trouble with with the 6.5PRC and recommended the sequence of steps to get the die working.

Hope this helps.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Don’t necessarily think it’s an issue with the die but it does take quite a lot of work to get it properly prepped. When I emailed Redding about the issue, they did say that they had been having trouble with with the 6.5PRC and recommended the sequence of steps to get the die working.
So weird. Never heard of breaking in a die, I wonder if there's some cross hatching leftover in the body from honing that causes an adhesion until a wax like lube fills them in or something, all I can think of. My cheap ass Hornady die took my normal initial cleaning and bump away with no issues.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
Go to Longerangeonly and research 6.5 PRC sizing die, enough info to make your eyes bleed, I was all in on building a 6.5 PRC until I read all those threads, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze for me, a shame too the PRC has impressive numbers.

I’m having issues reloading with 6.5 PRC Lapua. I have now purchased 3 FL dies from Whidden, Redding and Hornady. My problem persists with each die. I may be grasping at straws, but now I’m wondering if the problem could be related to the brass. Perhaps metallurgy? This is what once fired and resized brass looks like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YGgH9EaSQHPtGEXA8

I’m having issues reloading with 6.5 PRC Lapua. I have now purchased 3 FL dies from Whidden, Redding and Hornady. My problem persists with each die. I may be grasping at straws, but now I’m wondering if the problem could be related to the brass. Perhaps metallurgy? This is what once fired and resized brass looks like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/YGgH9EaSQHPtGEXA8
My Redding die does the exact same thing with My 6.5 PRC lapua brass. I finally just grabbed a cheap Hornady die, put more lube on the body and web and I no longer got those stretch marks.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
I had to ditch my Redding sizer. Not matter what I did, I was getting dents in the cases while sizing.

I bought a set of Hornady dies....problem solved.