6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM

brockel

WKR
Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I’m thinking I’d run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC

LightFoot

WKR
I like the 6.5 PRC because I think ammo/brass will have more staying power where the 7mm SAUM is all but obsolete (don't stone me for that). You obviously reload so that may not be an issue.

However, since you say elk, while the 6.5 is adequate, it is not optimal. If elk is more than a one every few years kind of adventure, of the 2, the 7mm would be my choice.

>>>----JAKE----->

JoeDirt

WKR
I wish there was more 7SAUM options, I feel there's a gap in the market. I like off the shelf ammo and its 7 mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm-08 and the 280.

For that reason I build a 6.5 PRC, then grabbed a box of 143 ELD-Xs

I will probably end up building a 28 Nosler but the 3.340" COL doesn't leave much room for really high BC stuff in the TIkka

You say it's long action. How bout building a 280AI. It will shoot as fast as a 7mm SAUM and brass is easy to find. The 280AI is a great cartridge, as is the plain old 280 Remington.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I went 7SAUM. It made sense for me. I already have a few 264 caliber rifles. I wanted an every day backpacking Coues rifle that could do sheep, bears, caribou, goats and the occasional backpacking elk hunt if needed. I was tired of lugging the heavy, long, and heavy recoiling 30s around, but wanted more punch than my lighter 6.5CM. My hunting partner just bought a CA Ridgeline TI in 6.5PRC. We're doing break in on it tomorrow. My Saum is on a med length action and was a full tilt everything I wanted build. I think the 7saum is here to stay. It will never be as popular as a 6.5PRC or 28nosler, but it has a purpose. Many find them, like the 280ai, to be a great compromise between ballistics and recoil. I also kicked around the idea of 7max, but can always go that route later. The factory offerings for ammo hold no weight with me, but that probably plays a role in many people's decisions.

So I’m going through this same thing... Are you wanting to run a shorter barrel? I’m going to run a tikka action/stock trigger with spring upgrade with a 22in carbon barrel and a light weight scope. Should be 7.5lbs scoped or so. I’m going to run the 7 Saum I’m thinking. Was tempted to do a 270 WSM with 170 EOL’s. Just can’t decide what billets and powder to run. These bullets are super tempting to run at 3200+. Amazing bc too for the weight. Recoil with a brake should be not bad at all even with the light rifle. I’d suggest a similar plan. Or just step up to the 7 SAUM and run 180’s if you want more weight. Either way a shorter fat case will be better With a shorter barrel.

Attachments

• 9099EE10-CF16-4EF6-89C5-2FB1C8A7006F.png
    9099EE10-CF16-4EF6-89C5-2FB1C8A7006F.png
    738.9 KB · Views: 259
OP
B

brockel

WKR
So I’m going through this same thing... Are you wanting to run a shorter barrel? I’m going to run a tikka action/stock trigger with spring upgrade with a 22in carbon barrel and a light weight scope. Should be 7.5lbs scoped or so. I’m going to run the 7 Saum I’m thinking. Was tempted to do a 270 WSM with 170 EOL’s. Just can’t decide what billets and powder to run. These bullets are super tempting to run at 3200+. Amazing bc too for the weight. Recoil with a brake should be not bad at all even with the light rifle. I’d suggest a similar plan. Or just step up to the 7 SAUM and run 180’s if you want more weight. Either way a shorter fat case will be better With a shorter barrel.
Planning to run a 22-24” barrel. I’m going to run the tikka factory stock for now so I doubt I will go proof barrel as I don’t think i can hog out enough from the stock to make it work

fatbacks

WKR
Have a 6.5 PRC and currently building a 7 SAUM. Dies, brass etc are way easier to find for the PRC. Actually just today finally found a Redding type s die seton stock. Been looking for a while. Now waiting on ADG to do another run of 7 SAUM brass.

Scarcity is probably exacerbated by living in Alaska and a pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I have a 6.5 saum that is my go to long range coues rifle and it is my favorite rifle but not my first choice for an elk cartridge. Will the 156 take down an elk, sure but I would prefer to have a .284 caliber in a biased opinion.
You ruled out the 7 wsm because of limited quality brass but I run Hornady brass in my saum with no issues. If you want ADG brass you could do a sherman 7 max but its the same as a 7 wsm without the fire forming.
The 7 wsm is on my build list to run 177 hammers for elk.

Trev93

FNG
Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I’m thinking I’d run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC
PRC FOR SURE

Shrek

WKR
Anyone looking for really good dies call Whiddon and have them made. John Whiddon’s dies are the nicest I’ve ever used. John makes custom dies not just what is listed.

fatbacks

WKR
Anyone looking for really good dies call Whiddon and have them made. John Whiddon’s dies are the nicest I’ve ever used. John makes custom dies not just what is listed.

I was looking at those hard until I found that Redding set I just bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
My vote would be for the 7 saum. Great case design, great bc bullets available, more efficient powder burn than most 7mm cartridges, low recoil, and very very accurate. Just have the barrel throated so you can load those big pills way out there, to make room for more powder. I'm pushing the 175 eldx at 3005 fps, with excellent case life (10+ reloads).
saum.jpg