6.5 PRC Questions

tboltz34

FNG
Hey, Everyone!

This is my first post here but have been reading the forums on and off. I'm looking to buy a new rifle for the upcoming hunting season. I will be using it mainly for deer hunting, elk hunting, and fun at the range. The caliber that has drawn my attention is the 6.5 PRC.

The only thing holding me back is that I've read the short action doesn't reach the full potential of the round, if reloading. The extra long bullets (150 grain) will sit too far into the casing interfering with powder capacity. I have never reloaded before but that is something I would like to do in the future. With more heavy for caliber bullets coming out, I don't want the short action limiting the potential of the rifle.

My question is, how would I get around the short action in the 6.5 PRC? I haven't found any factory rifles that offer the 6.5 PRC is a standard (or medium action), is there one out there? Should I consider building a rifle? Or maybe a conversion? I've never had a rifle built for me but it would be something I would consider; however, I would like to keep it under $2,500. Additionally, I'd like is if the barrel had a 1:7.5 or greater twist to handle the heavy for caliber bullets that are or will be coming out.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome as I'm relatively new to all of this!

Next time you see a magnum Tikka for sale cheap buy it. Then send it off for a new barrel. Easily under your price point, even with a new stock.
Absolutely. I just did this and sent mine to HCA but went with a .300wsm. I might do the same next year with a tikka for a 6.5prc build. I will say their is alot of companies releasing 6.5prc caliber rifles now. Ya got sig sauer, savage, and now weatherby. Those weatherby vanguards looks decent and the savage lightweight 110 storm has had very good reviews so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

But none beat a tikka action (which is why i used it for my custom build)

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
Absolutely. I just did this and sent mine to HCA but went with a .300wsm. I might do the same next year with a tikka for a 6.5prc build. I will say their is alot of companies releasing 6.5prc caliber rifles now. Ya got sig sauer, savage, and now weatherby. Those weatherby vanguards looks decent and the savage lightweight 110 storm has had very good reviews so far.

Thanks for the help! I will keep an eye out for a magnum tikka. Do the sig sauer, savage, and weatherby come with a standard action?

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
If you decide to build your own rifle, look into the 6.5 Sherman Short it beats the PRC balletically and fits in a true short action (assuming you reload) I had my heart set on a PRC until I found out the limitations of the magazine length and had a 6.5SS built,

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider

How do you like that HCA .300wsm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
If you decide to build your own rifle, look into the 6.5 Sherman Short it beats the PRC balletically and fits in a true short action (assuming you reload) I had my heart set on a PRC until I found out the limitations of the magazine length and had a 6.5SS built,
I have read a little bit about the 6.5SS but I might be a little overwhelmed building my first rifle and getting started into reloading. However, I'm not scared to do some research. Would building a 6.5SS be considerably more expensive than buying a magnum tikka and rebarreling for 6.5PRC?

HuntnPack

WKR
Take a look at Seekins Precision. Either the PH2 or Element. No need to modify or swap stuff out. Quality components. Their short action is more of a medium length & magazine length is plenty long enough to run the longer heavies. I run my Element with 156 Berger seated long, & still have mag room. Run factory ammo or have Unknown Munitions load a custom load.
mine shoots custom load 156’s well, as well, as factory 143 & 147.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I have read a little bit about the 6.5SS but I might be a little overwhelmed building my first rifle and getting started into reloading. However, I'm not scared to do some research. Would building a 6.5SS be considerably more expensive than buying a magnum tikka and rebarreling for 6.5PRC?
It all depends on components. You could rebarrel any short, XM or long action to 6.5SS as long as it has the same magnum bolt face. that would put the price the same except you would likely have to have your smith rent a SS reamer if he doesnt have one which might pass down $50 in cost to you.

The dies are slightly more expensive. Rich Sherman now sells brass which doesn't need fireforming which is a huge plus the brass is ADG which is also a huge plus.

Overall it would be apples to apples for build cost either way if you use the same donor parts and barrel. if you want to do a full blown custom it could easily exceed 3 or 4 grand but it doesn't have to.

I'll second that tikka makes beautiful factory actions, I've got a couple T3 superlites that I really like, But for me, I wanted a true short action to reduce weight and overall length, I ended up having mine built on a Lone Peak Razor Titanium, but again there is absolutely nothing wrong with building on a tikka action if the extra length and weight and smaller aftermarket options for chassis, stocks, triggers etc doesn't bother you (there is still plenty of options).

PredatorX

WKR
Keep in mind with the prc you are only going to get about 1500 rounds before the barrel needs replacement. Accuracy may diminish well before that too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
It all depends on components. You could rebarrel any short, XM or long action to 6.5SS as long as it has the same magnum bolt face. that would put the price the same except you would likely have to have your smith rent a SS reamer if he doesnt have one which might pass down $50 in cost to you.

The dies are slightly more expensive. Rich Sherman now sells brass which doesn't need fireforming which is a huge plus the brass is ADG which is also a huge plus.

Overall it would be apples to apples for build cost either way if you use the same donor parts and barrel. if you want to do a full blown custom it could easily exceed 3 or 4 grand but it doesn't have to.

I'll second that tikka makes beautiful factory actions, I've got a couple T3 superlites that I really like, But for me, I wanted a true short action to reduce weight and overall length, I ended up having mine built on a Lone Peak Razor Titanium, but again there is absolutely nothing wrong with building on a tikka action if the extra length and weight and smaller aftermarket options for chassis, stocks, triggers etc doesn't bother you (there is still plenty of options).
I've done a little more research on the sherman shorts. Do you have any insight on the on the 7SS? It looks like it could be a little better option for a light elk rifle.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a little more research on the sherman shorts. Do you have any insight on the on the 7SS? It looks like it could be a little better option for a light elk rifle.
They’re awesome too, I considered one when I did mine and have no real reason why I didn’t go with one, pushing the 195s it’s pretty dang impressive.

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
After doing some research I think I’ve decided on the 7mm Sherman max. I just ordered a T3x in 7mm rem mag for $579. Is the rebated rim of the 7mm rem mag going to cause a problem for the rechambering?

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
I was just going to say, if elk hunting is in your plans I would bump up to at least something in the 7mm class if not 30 cal. Can a 6.5 prc kill an elk? Sure, but 7s and 30 cals did better

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
Sorry, I meant belted for 7 rem mag. I agree, that is why I decided to go with a 7 and because I’m using a tikka action I figured go with something more than just a short action caliber.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're looking to run a short action 6.5 PRC for weight, or that's just what you have, we have a solution. SA Hunter DBM with our Hunter Magazine. It allows for a 2.980" COAL.

We have been jumping our bullets a little more than normal as well, so no worries about COAL and there's still case capacity if you want to press the gas on your load. Our 6.5 PRCs have taken a lot of game in the last 3 years!

Attachments

• P1010466-L.jpg
    P1010466-L.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 40

BBob

WKR
If you're looking to run a short action 6.5 PRC for weight, or that's just what you have, we have a solution. SA Hunter DBM with our Hunter Magazine. It allows for a 2.980" COAL.

We have been jumping our bullets a little more than normal as well, so no worries about COAL and there's still case capacity if you want to press the gas on your load. Our 6.5 PRCs have taken a lot of game in the last 3 years!

Good on you guys for picking up the ball where Curtis left off and getting your short mag mags out!!!

PRC_GUY

WKR
Hey, Everyone!

This is my first post here but have been reading the forums on and off. I'm looking to buy a new rifle for the upcoming hunting season. I will be using it mainly for deer hunting, elk hunting, and fun at the range. The caliber that has drawn my attention is the 6.5 PRC.

The only thing holding me back is that I've read the short action doesn't reach the full potential of the round, if reloading. The extra long bullets (150 grain) will sit too far into the casing interfering with powder capacity. I have never reloaded before but that is something I would like to do in the future. With more heavy for caliber bullets coming out, I don't want the short action limiting the potential of the rifle.

My question is, how would I get around the short action in the 6.5 PRC? I haven't found any factory rifles that offer the 6.5 PRC is a standard (or medium action), is there one out there? Should I consider building a rifle? Or maybe a conversion? I've never had a rifle built for me but it would be something I would consider; however, I would like to keep it under $2,500. Additionally, I'd like is if the barrel had a 1:7.5 or greater twist to handle the heavy for caliber bullets that are or will be coming out.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome as I'm relatively new to all of this!
Bergara ridge 6.5 PRC

SDHNTR

WKR
Just build your short action with a Wyatts box. Or better yet, build the whole thing on a Defiance XM length. Easy peezy.