6.5 PRC Revisited

Sodbuster

WKR
Started Missouri Whitetail season with a Creedmoor and ended it with a PRC.

Two meat deer down.
6.5 caliber 150 grain Sierra Match King
Exit holes.

150 stabilizes just fine in an 8 twist.
Waiting on the Berger.IMG_0120.jpgIMG_1860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
wind gypsy

So you're saying they haven't been penciling through, pointed meplat and all?

I suppose so. I put a rifle together in order to shoot the .264 heavies.Thought the Berger would be out by the time the rifle was finished.
A super slick, accurate bullet, pushed at moderate speeds with nominal recoil sounded like fun.

Chrono testing the factory ELDX PRC ammo was disappointing, with that brass I went to the new Sierra bullet. I can say that at the high end of a Quickload recipe was pressure and velocity equalling my 300 WSM and roasted the brass (waiting on the Bertram). Two rounds were enough but the bullets hit basically the same hole.

I backed off the powder charge and got excellent accuracy, velocity I like, and less recoil than my Creedmoor. The two deer I killed were not long range but just a test for the bullet. My twist rate question has already been answered.High shots in the spine area so that if they did not work a follow up was arriving quickly. Didn't need that.They were knocked off their feet.

I have one more tag for an upcoming antlerless deer season and am trying a different impact angle. Another target bullet that works for hunting?
Maybe, but so far, close range is looking good.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Jon Boy J

What were your chrono test results with the factory 147?

I only chronographed the 143 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter ammunition as it was the only type Bass Pro had in stock when I started this project.

I believe i wrote down the velocity readings in my notebook. I will look tomorrow. If not, I texted the results to a friend in Alaska as he is thinking about a PRC build as well. Factory ammo was slower than advertised in my rifle.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
143 eldx thru the chrono.
Went back and looked at Hornadys website they were using a 24 inch barrel and advertising 2960 for this bullet.

I am using a 24 incher as well.

With this project,I am able to seat further out and at current load, 90 fps over factory 143,(140 fps faster than factory 147) with a slightly heavier bullet(150 grain) ,and have room for more powder if desired.

Perfect deer round? Way too many great cartridges to pick just one.

Last edited:
Have you cut one of those SMKs apart yet? If they had a good size void in the nose, they might be a pretty consistent hunting bullet despite the small meplat.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
PathFinder

Have you cut one of those SMKs apart yet? If they had a good size void in the nose, they might be a pretty consistent hunting bullet despite the small meplat.

I have not, but that seems like a worthwhile project.

Interesting to compare factory load data with a 24 inch barrel vs Hornady's custom load data using a 26 inch barrel.

Escaping the factory COL gives a handloader many more performance options.

What barrel? My smith says he is seeing PRCs speed up pretty good once seasoned but idk if that just pertained to my proof. Mine only has 2 boxes if that of factory 147 through it but things are looking great so far. Pretty exciting if 1:8 will stabilize the 150. So you are pushing the 150 @ 3050?

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
jmcmath
What barrel? My smith says he is seeing PRCs speed up pretty good once seasoned but idk if that just pertained to my proof. Mine only has 2 boxes if that of factory 147 through it but things are looking great so far. Pretty exciting if 1:8 will stabilize the 150. So you are pushing the 150 @ 3050?

The barrel is a Bartlein 5R.
I hope your gunsmith is right on velocity gain.
Yes, my current load is averaging 3050 fps.I have hit the pressure ceiling with the Hornady brass
and I an currently several grains below that. I have some Bertram on order.
Looking pretty good so far
Some groups at 800 are next..

In the process of building a 6.5 for myself. The gunsmith recommended a 1:7 twist over the 1:8 since I plan to shoot 147 and heavier bullets.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems like a good idea on this rifle.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Had bad luck with the new 230 SMK at long range on elk. Doing a write up soon.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Liv2HntBigBullz

In the process of building a 6.5 for myself. The gunsmith recommended a 1:7 twist over the 1:8 since I plan to shoot 147 and heavier bullets.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems like a good idea on this rifle.

That is what I was going to do but the barrel got sold before I could grab it.
The 8 will handle the 147's and back down so I was good.
Just been playing with the 150's at higher velocities.
So far so good. Whitetail Deer and Elk are way different targets.
Ryan Avery's write up will be interesting.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Going to shoot a few 150 groups this week then clock a couple loads with 127 LRX's.
Personally, once I find the sweet spot, Barnes bullets have always worked for me.

I had less than stellar results with 143 eld-x in a Creedmoor on a buck.

eamyrick

WKR
Looking for a custom long range stick after a recent desert Muley hunt where shots were 4-700 yards. I’ve been reading everything I can and 6.5 prc seems to be the long range hunting ticket but since I don’t reload what are the chances of it fading away for some new cartridge.