6.5 PRC Revisited

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Lately I have been enjoying reading the 6.5 PRC threads. Do any of you guys have experience with both the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5-06AI?

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
eamyrick

Looking for a custom long range stick after a recent desert Muley hunt where shots were 4-700 yards. I’ve been reading everything I can and 6.5 prc seems to be the long range hunting ticket but since I don’t reload what are the chances of it fading away for some new cartridge.

eamyrick,
I just compiled this list last night for a couple friends.
Customs and semi customs:
Christensen Arms
Montana rifles
Seekins precision
Fierce firearms
GA Precision-George Gardner
Gunwerks
Hill country rifles
Proof research
Stuteville precision
Trident armory
Horizon firearms
McRee precision

All offering 6.5 PRC's

Factory:
Savage
Ruger's new hawkeye
Sauer's are on gun broker
Mauser

Hornady factory ammo is fairly plentiful.
Bertram brass will be here shortly.
A number of boutique ammo manufacturers out there as well who will make all the custom ammunition you want.

This caliber is not going to die quickly.

Sent from my iPhone

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Lately I have been enjoying reading the 6.5 PRC threads. Do any of you guys have experience with both the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5-06AI?

The PRC will not match a 06AI ballistically, but damn I hate fireforming cases for any AI.

I agree, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Look how long it to for them to chamber the 6.5 Creed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair they already had 260 and 6.5x55 but I’m sure they are glad they started making creeds!

PRC is an odd one, isn’t the factory ammo longer than most factory mag boxes? That would cause problems.

ckleeves

WKR
To be fair they already had 260 and 6.5x55 but I’m sure they are glad they started making creeds!

PRC is an odd one, isn’t the factory ammo longer than most factory mag boxes? That would cause problems.

I think you would have to feed it from a long action tikka Magazine (I realize they only have one action length) or they would have to manufacture a special magazine with a blockout in it. I think it would feed fine in the long 3.4 tikka magazines but I’m not sure. WSM’s and Saums feed pretty well in long action.

I agree on the factory Ammo length. Kinda weird that they didn’t nip it back just a little bit for a better short action fit. I would give up a few grains of capacity for better fit.

I’m really curious how some of these company’s are going to chamber it. I saw the other day that HS-precision list it as a option and their SA magazines are 2.860. So I’m not sure how they are doing it?

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Magazines.

Top down view.
Tikka long action on the right,short mag
on the left.
Cartridge is 3.067 oa.

b0f3b604b4900ca30811385cba14e43c.jpg
0d1da03f8f1ed7dc9ba1d6769fa4930a.jpg

From the rear.WSM mag is on the right. LA on the left.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
In a kimber WSM action
The long 3.067 round will fit in the box and cycle but will not eject a live round.

The shorter 2.888 test round with the Lrx bullet has plenty of room to go longer.

Creedmoor in for scale.
38511a09c1b6ba61bfb1af365ed320d4.jpg

ckleeves

WKR
Sodbuster, thanks for the pics and measurements. Do you happen to know what the freebore was on the reamer that was used on your build? I think there have been some changes on reamer specs since the birth of the PRC.

davsco

WKR
Looking for a custom long range stick after a recent desert Muley hunt where shots were 4-700 yards. I’ve been reading everything I can and 6.5 prc seems to be the long range hunting ticket but since I don’t reload what are the chances of it fading away for some new cartridge.

yep that's the big risk with a new caliber. i bought a 7stw way back and ammo is def harder to find now, and certainly not at your local walmart. good/great news is hornady has a load coming out shortly with their eld-x bullet.

personally if i bought another rifle, it'd be 300 win mag or wsm. gets everything needed done and reaches out, prevalent ammo at reasonable prices.

Factory ammo availability, less recoil, inherently better feeding without a rebated rim.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Factory ammo availability, less recoil, inherently better feeding without a rebated rim.

Factory ammo has not been an issue for me, but I reload as well. Before I started reloading, I didn't have a problem finding ammo. I don't notice the recoil of my 7 SAUM, and I've never had any feeding issues nor any issues from mag length.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I just had a 6.5 PRC built by GAP and have only shot paper. I have about 40 rounds down the tube and it is crazy accurate. I’m having the same exact rifle built in a 300 PRC.

Factory ammo has not been an issue for me, but I reload as well. Before I started reloading, I didn't have a problem finding ammo. I don't notice the recoil of my 7 SAUM, and I've never had any feeding issues nor any issues from mag length.

Those things definitely don't have to be problems with a 7 SAUM but figured I'd point out some areas where the PRC is a slight design improvement. I have a 6.5 SAUM and a 7 SAUM build in the works so I definitely think they have a place.

The 300 PRC seems like a really nice case! Hornady is killing it with these cartridge designs. Creedmoor improved on the 260, PRC addresses SAUM shortcomings, and 300 PRC is a nice update in the 300 WM case capacity realm. The new ones just need Peterson, Alpha, Lapua, etc to come out with brass. I have no desire to build anything to be fed primarily with Hornady brass.

Last edited:
OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
28 degrees.
Rained yesterday then turned to snow on top of frozen ground.
Slimy on top.

This was to look at the stability of 150 grain bullets through an 8 twist barrel.
I don’t think there will be an issue.
I shot these as fast as I could settle on the target at 643yards.
I dialed 650. Velocity is good.
Waiting on the Bergers now.
d12782cd67ec7dcd7119a0bf87a5722f.jpg

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Loaded up some Barnes 127LRX with same charge amount and gained 100 FPS.
Averaged 3150. Accuracy was not what I wanted. At least not yet.
70 plus rounds down, it and the Creedmoor are due for a barrel soaking.