6.5 PRC Tikka or Sako questions

I'm looking to get a 6.5 prc and will probably go Tikka or Sako to extend my hunting range out to 6-700 yards but have some questions.

I have been looking at the Sako S20 with the internal chassis, weighing 7.4 lbs but don't know if I can get replacement barrels for it down the road. Asked Berreta what the thread pitch was on the S20, thinking it might be the same as a Tikka and could use Tikka pre-fit barrels but they said they couldn't give out that information. So right now I'm looking at building a Tikka instead.

Currently I can get a Tikka T3X lite 7mm Rem,
buy a KRG bravo stick and get a pre-fit carbon barrel and come in around the same weight as a S20. Not sure if I need any work done to the 7mm Rem bolt to shoot the 6.5 prc.

Another option is buy a Tikka T3X lite in 6.5 creedmoor and have it rechambered for the prc and the have bolt reamed but not sure about using the shorter action. Would also get a KRG bravo stock but this would make the rifle the heaviest choice.

I've always just bought factory bolt guns and maybe changed the stock so this is a little more involved for me.. From what I've read I think these are my options for a Tikka/Sako rifle in 6.5 prc.

Anyone have input on which option would be possibly the best route to go.

cgasner1

WKR
Are you stuck on those 2 I bought a savage ultralight shoots lights out and browning makes it in a hells canyon that has a 1-7 twist that would be awesome for shooting the 156 elites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
I have several savage rifles already and am looking for something with like an internal chassis. Handled the hells canyon, pretty nice but I think I will go Tikka/Sako for this rifle.

ID_Matt

WKR
It is not that easy to modify the bolt face on a tikka to a magnum. Changing from a short action to a long action is about $20 and takes 5 minutes with a new bolt stop. I would go with the 7 mag. It will be ready to go for a PRC. Would just need a new barrel. My tikka pre fit shoots great. I would stay away from Sako. They don't have near the aftermarket support as tikka so if you want to change things it can be a pain.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Changing the bolt face is no big deal, I’ve done a ton of them no issues. To OP the action lengths are all the same, you can use the 7 mag or a Creed donor. Lots of ways to get there.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
it sounds like you are stuck on TIkka/Sako, but also check out the Sauer 100. very similar to tikka's, but a couple improved features in my opinion.

Apollo117

WKR
I have several savage rifles already and am looking for something with like an internal chassis. Handled the hells canyon, pretty nice but I think I will go Tikka/Sako for this rifle.
What do you mean by internal chassis? Can you explain please?

Do you mean an internal chassis like the mini chassis that Manners offer for their rifle stocks?

OP
T
What do you mean by internal chassis? Can you explain please?

Do you mean an internal chassis like the mini chassis that Manners offer for their rifle stocks?
The Sako S20 has an aluminum chassis inside the stock even in the buttstock and overmolded with plastic. The KRG has something similar but it doesn't extend into the buttstock. I'm looking for something rigid like a regular chassis but inside the stock for hunting and lightweight for hiking.

it sounds like you are stuck on TIkka/Sako, but also check out the Sauer 100. very similar to tikka's, but a couple improved features in my opinion.

Not to hijack, but what features?

7mm/300w mag would be easier - already get the mag bolt face, longer bolt stop, AND a longer magnum magazine. Then order custom contour, length and twist ( go 1:7.5 for the 156 eol!) prefit barrel. It will definitely look more custom.

The creed route you would have to machine bolt face, adjust bolt stop, buy new magazine, rechamber factory barrel stuck with 1:8 twist. And have to restamp barrel to PRC. And it will look just like a factory gun.

Last edited:

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack, but what features?

Flush 4+1 magazine (I personally don't like an exposed magazine for hunting, since I carry my rifle in my hand a lot), a nicer stiffer stock, and an adjustable trigger that's pretty nice. I would put accuracy equal or better than a tikka.

OP
T
7mm/300w mag would be easier - already get the mag bolt face, longer bolt stop, AND a longer magnum magazine. Then order custom contour, length and twist ( go 1:7.5 for the 156 eol!) prefit barrel. It will definitely look more custom.

The creed route you would have to machine bolt face, adjust bolt stop, buy new magazine, rechamber factory barrel stuck with 1:8 twist. And have to restamp barrel to PRC. And it will look just like a factory gun.
This sounds like the best route for me, could get a stainless Tikka 7mm rem for $605, a Proof research pre-fit carbon 24" barrel for $760 and a KRG stock for $350, then just have it assembled without having to machine the bolt, adjust the stop or restamp the barrel. As long as the 7mm rem bolt works without modification then I believe I would be good to go. If I could resale the barrel from it then it would cost about the same as the S20 and be a good, accurate hunting setup.

Thanks, for your insight.

XR357

FNG
I put a proof prefit in 6.5 PRC on a Tikka 300 WSM. Install was simple, no issues pulling the old barrel. New barrel shoots awesome and love the feel. As others have said the long bolt stop and 7mag magazine is perfect and makes the switch less costly. I have a KRG on a T1x and they are great for the $$

OP
T
I missed the deal for the 7mm Rem, ended up buying a Tikka 300 winmag, should be here tomorrow. The proof barrel and KRG bravo stock are already here but still waiting on the barrel vise and action wrenchs (one external for barrel removal and one internal for new barrel install) and PTG go/no go gauges.

Only issue I see so far is the KRG bravo limits me to SA magazines 2.950, don't know if I will load longer than that but you never know.

Eric_F

FNG
Easiest route if you want the 6.5 PRC in a factory barrel would be either buy a 6.5 CM and trade bolts with someone (Tikka wtt mag/standard ads pop out once in a while) or buy a 270/300 WSM and buy a barrel.

OP
T
Used a .300 winmag T3X for the build but the bolt hits the check riser, may have to go with another stock that is designed for a long action.
uJVkeJvh.jpg

9C6gPFLh.jpg

khuber84

WKR
Krg only makes a short action bravo, and the longest mags you'll find are 2.95, that barely holds factory ammo. 156 bergers seated 25k off in saami chamber are about 3.048" long. The Tikka is excellent for short mags, I have 3 semi customs in Tikka, prc being one of them. If youre set on a chassis, you should get a long action chassis. Mdt/xlr make them. I run the element 3.0 magnesium chassis from xlr on one rifle with 3.45" mdt Mags, but the other two are stocked. Right now Mesa Precision is offering 15% off their stocks. Xlr is offering discounts and MDT is as well for thr holiday shopping season.

OP
T
The Mesa precision looks nice, not sure about the monte carlo stock, will probably replace the bravo with a AG alpine hunter or an Alterra carbon hunter, whichever I can find the best deal on.
Kinda of leaning towards the alpine hunter as Alterra is proud of their color options whereas AG is only a small cost for color.

OP
T
Quick update, discovered that KRG bravo has a different riser insert for the longer throw of some Tikkas, $10 on their website but after further investigation the extra insert was in the shipping box and I had overlooked it. Bolt doesn't hit now but still may change the stock due to weight, will carry it the rest of this season and see how much it bothers me. Rifle weights 10lbs 1oz (11lbs with suppressor).
15RhkZwh.jpg

khuber84

WKR
The Mesa precision looks nice, not sure about the monte carlo stock, will probably replace the bravo with a AG alpine hunter or an Alterra carbon hunter, whichever I can find the best deal on.
Kinda of leaning towards the alpine hunter as Alterra is proud of their color options whereas AG is only a small cost for color.
Alterra stocks have a negative comb, decent design for hunting but better options for all around performance. The Mesa has a drop heel from the comb, but no Monte Carlo. I like the fat vertical grip on the Mesa vs the thin swept grip on the Alterra. The alpine hunter is great as well, pretty much all the best features of them combined. Alterra charges a lot for a stock that you have to bed in the recoil lug, pillars and glass bed. You'll be a G deep by the time you're done unless you complete it yourself. The ag/mesa stocks come with a lug and pillars installed. I'd go that route 7 days a week and 2x on Sunday. I personally own 1 or multiple of all the prior mentioned stocks.

Last edited: