6.5 PRC velocity and barrel length?

mcseal2

WKR
Just curious what people are seeing for real world speeds.

What brand gun or barrel?
What bullet and powder or factory load?
Barrel length?

Thanks. I'm interested in getting one but want to see how much real world speed I gain over the 6.5 Creedmoor.

deadwolf

WKR
I’m also curious about this, my creedmoor does 2775 from a 24” with 147 so I’d have to see substantially more to make it worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Well damn 125 FPS, hardly sounds worth the difference. You guys using the same loads ? What you using deadwolf ?

mt100gr.

WKR
I’m also curious about this, my creedmoor does 2775 from a 24” with 147 so I’d have to see substantially more to make it worthwhile

I'm interested in the PRC some as well but I am pumping the 147s out of a 24 inch Creedmoor at 2795. The velocity gain doesn't interest me enough.

Tikka
Alliant RL26

deadwolf

WKR
I can see that it would be feasible to get better velocity than the factory hornady though pretty easily. I think 3000 FPS is likely attainable, but at the cost of more powder, recoil, and barrel life. Not worth it to me I don’t think.

My dad and I have twin 6.5prc's. Both almost identical speeds. Factory 147's about 3040 and factory 143's about 3080. 24" proof barrels

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I am only getting 2525fps from my 22" Browning with factory 6.5 Creed Hornady ELD-X ammo. It is shooting really well for a light gun with factory ammo in my opinion, and it keeps getting a little better as I go longer between cleanings. It is almost new, I still have less than 2 boxes of ammo through it. I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it to get a PRC. If I change I will stick with the Browning but go to the Tungsten Pro in a 24" 6.5 PRC. I really don't like more barrel length than that in a hunting rifle. The rifle fits me and I'm really happy with the accuracy. It already got to finish off another hunter's buck at 330 yards and drop a coyote at 150 yards.

My favorite big game guns have always run a bullet of a .480 or better BC at around 2900-3000fps. In more recent years the BC's have been much better as bullets have changed. I am good at quick shots with those ballistics. The other night when the wounded buck came by I was quickly checking my drop chart, dialing MOA, and preparing for the shot before the buck got into the thick timber and was lost. With my old rifles I'd have been able to shoot 330 without needing to check anything. I'm just wondering if I should stick with what I know after that experience rather than changing. I really like shooting the little Creed with it's lack of recoil, but I'm not sure I should be learning new tricks as an old dog after that experience.

I tend to over think things at times.....

Thanks for the answers so far, I'd like to hear all I can.

mt100gr.

WKR
I am only getting 2525fps from my 22" Browning with factory 6.5 Creed Hornady ELD-X ammo. It is shooting really well for a light gun with factory ammo in my opinion, and it keeps getting a little better as I go longer between cleanings. It is almost new, I still have less than 2 boxes of ammo through it. I'm just trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it to get a PRC. If I change I will stick with the Browning but go to the Tungsten Pro in a 24" 6.5 PRC. I really don't like more barrel length than that in a hunting rifle. The rifle fits me and I'm really happy with the accuracy. It already got to finish off another hunter's buck at 330 yards and drop a coyote at 150 yards.

My favorite big game guns have always run a bullet of a .480 or better BC at around 2900-3000fps. In more recent years the BC's have been much better as bullets have changed. I am good at quick shots with those ballistics. The other night when the wounded buck came by I was quickly checking my drop chart, dialing MOA, and preparing for the shot before the buck got into the thick timber and was lost. With my old rifles I'd have been able to shoot 330 without needing to check anything. I'm just wondering if I should stick with what I know after that experience rather than changing. I really like shooting the little Creed with it's lack of recoil, but I'm not sure I should be learning new tricks as an old dog after that experience.

I tend to over think things at times.....

Thanks for the answers so far, I'd like to hear all I can.
For some comparison, and not to deviate from your quest for PRC info - a friend of mine has a 20" Creedmoor with a proof barrel and the factory 143 ammo averages 2560 thru his rifle. I have a 20" Tikka CTR Creedmoor that I handload 143s for and with RL26 I have a very accurate load right at 2700fps.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Gunbroker has some Brownings listed with 22” barrels I saw. Thats pretty tempting to me now.

I can load if I cant get a factory load to do what I want but I really would prefer not to. I load for several rifles and don’t have a ton of time to load more. Being able to just buy factory and practice more is a better fit for me now. I have to load when everyone else is asleep or gone, anyone moving upstairs throws off my powder scale. Kids playing really screws with it. Honestly I’d rather play with them than load, they grow up fast!

My velocity with the factory hornady ammunition is a little low, but I’ve only got 1 box of ammo through it so far. It should speed up over the next few boxes.

HuntnPack

WKR
For me the real draw to the PRC is to have a shorter barrel length and still get good speeds. I like short rifles :)

I’m gonna test out a 5.5# Seekins Element 6.5PRC 21”bbl. Element bbl is .700 at muzzle, so maybe a bit Stiffer than those pencil bbls.
talked to a guy who’s getting 2793 with factory 143. His buddy’s at 2845.
Both Elements. Good accuracy also.
Hand loads would improve that.
I’m gonna try some 124 Hammer’s
3000+ should be no problem
Should make a nice Deer/Antelope rifle .

deadwolf

WKR

My Creedmoor is a Seekins Havak, and it is very nice, I imagine the Element would be too! Curious about those actions, waiting to hear some input on them!

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 18” Proof barrel in a Tikka action chambered in 6.5 PRC. Getting 2960-2990 FPS out of the factory Hornady 143s.

running a Hybrid 46 on it and the gun kicks like a .223 and is about as loud as a 22 mag. Here’s 5 shots at 100.

Attachments

• FC82CFE4-1ED5-4084-AB4C-9D0970CE1DEE.jpeg
    FC82CFE4-1ED5-4084-AB4C-9D0970CE1DEE.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 85