6.5 Prc vs 7mm-08

mtmuley

luke, I don't use either. My kids used .270's to kill elk. I'm a RUM guy, have been since 2000. Compensating I guess. Just giving info. mtmuley

ckleeves

People get way to attached to a certain cartridge and turn a blind eye to the cold hard facts.

I like the 6.5 Creed, but I take it for what it is and realize what it’s not. It’s not a legit 700 yard elk cartridge as much as everyone wants it to be. It is an easy cartridge to load for and shoot. I would be just as happy with a .260 or a 6.5x47.

I like the 300 wm but I realize there are faster options out there. The 300 PRC, 30 Nos and 300 RUM will walk all over it but in the end I’m happy with it and don’t feel like rechambering and buying dies and brass to start with a new cartridge, although I would be happy with any one of them.

I like both the 270 win and 270 WSM but bullet selection comes into play with them. My current 270 WSM is pushing 140 accubonds at 3330 but it falls off quick. I can’t imagine the barrel has much life left it in and and not sure what I’ll rechamber to. Might even do another 270 wsm because even though I realize it’s faults it kills elk like lightning inside 500 yards.

So pick what makes you happy but don’t preach it non stop when every cartridge has a few faults whether it’s short barrel life, hard to get brass, poor ballistics, recoil, doesn’t fit in a certain action length well, bullet selection etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Administrator
People get way to attached to a certain cartridge and turn a blind eye to the cold hard facts.

I like the 6.5 Creed, but I take it for what it is and realize what it’s not. It’s not a legit 700 yard elk cartridge as much as everyone wants it to be. It is an easy cartridge to load for and shoot. I would be just as happy with a .260 or a 6.5x47.

I like the 300 wm but I realize there are faster options out there. The 300 PRC, 30 Nos and 300 RUM will walk all over it but in the end I’m happy with it and don’t feel like rechambering and buying dies and brass to start with a new cartridge, although I would be happy with any one of them.

I like both the 270 win and 270 WSM but bullet selection comes into play with them. My current 270 WSM is pushing 140 accubonds at 3330 but it falls off quick. I can’t imagine the barrel has much life left it in and and not sure what I’ll rechamber to. Might even do another 270 wsm because even though I realize it’s faults it kills elk like lightning inside 500 yards.

So pick what makes you happy but don’t preach it non stop when every cartridge has a few faults whether it’s short barrel life, hard to get brass, poor ballistics, recoil, doesn’t fit in a certain action length well, bullet selection etc.

Very well said!!

Idaho Lefty

I wasn't "pushing", the .270 WSM on anybody, I was just suggesting that, it was better than what he was choosing to shoot 700 yards, with. Trust me, I do realize, the .277 dia Bullet's "limitation's" ! I'm NOT interested, in Long Range "hunting" with it, anyway ! I would have kept my custom .338 Win Mag if I wanted, to shoot "long range".
Out to 600-700 yards, the .270 WSM does, what I 'need' and it is fairly, pleasant, to shoot, even as, UN Braked ! I only paid, $620.00 for my New Tikka T3, SS Lite, L-H, "closeout" priced, in .270 WSM and she easily shoots, Sub MOA ( got several, 1.25 inch, ctr to ctr, 200 yard groups ) When, I wear out the ole' girls Barrel, I will build a 7mm-.270 WSM out of the action. Til' then,.. I'm pretty happy "as is". My Elk this year, jumped twice, then,.. DEAD !

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

I’m using YOUR numbers and generic PRC numbers. 3k is a reasonable speed for a prc. In the Creed I’m using a load with a 22” barrel over a Labrador.

Nothing wrong with the 7-08 or the 7saum. I’m not picking on them all. BC plays a huge function in comparing and the partition isn’t a high bc bullet at all. You keep referencing them so I did too.

You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me. Lol

ckleeves

You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me. Lol
Yes, it is faster at the muzzle. At 100 yards the Creed is passing it though.

N2TRKYS

You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me.
Yes, it is faster at the muzzle. At 100 yards the Creed is passing it though.

What would your velocity be with 140 grain Partitions at 100 yds?

wind gypsy

Your posts in this thread seem to be focused on being satisfied with your rifles and not so much what rifle the OP should build.

ckleeves

What would your velocity be with 140 grain Partitions at 100 yds?
I really have no idea without working up a load. If they were started at the same velocity as a Berger (doubtful with bearing surface) then at 100 yards it would be going 2662 according to shooter.

ckleeves

Your posts in this thread seem to be focused on being satisfied with your rifles and not so much what rifle the OP should build.
X2. I’m done arguing about a completely different topic. Sorry to the OP for sidetracking this thread so far.

OP
O

OSU Fisher

Thanks again everyone for your info/input. It has all helped. I enjoyed it all and don't mind the debating. Keeps it entertaining haha

Dusty2426

6.5 prc is not doing anything that the 6.5-284 can’t do from what I can read. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Ndbowhunter

While my ass is a bit hanging out here but I can’t see how any cartridges handily beat a case full of rl26 behind a 180gr eld-m in a 7mm-08 for 700 and in, that doesn’t burn at least 60gr of powder.

I was a died in the wool 300 win mag fan and killed quite a few 1000+ pound animals with one and saw a whole bunch fall.. Fact is my buddies kill hundreds of very large deer yearly with a measly 7mm-08 slinging 162gr eld-ms at 2750 or so.

Reloder 17 and 26 helps ‘08 based cartridges achieve basically -06 cartridge level ballistics.

The real question: is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ur call. I will say that I know a few guys that have shot heaps, literal heaps of stags and hate 270’s and it’s pretty hard to argue otherwise.

6.5 is for euro fags, 270 is just gay, 300 win mag is for compensators and So all you got left is the 7mm-08. For real men.

Oh wait this is for a female.

Shut this thread down.

Ndbowhunter

Make sure it’s your own hammer and not someone else’s. That ain’t right.

To be fair if you sit on your left hand for a bit it’ll go numb and feel like strange stuff once put in use.

The beauty of miss Michigan is she never says no.

wind gypsy

While my ass is a bit hanging out here but I can’t see how any cartridges handily beat a case full of rl26 behind a 180gr eld-m in a 7mm-08 for 700 and in, that doesn’t burn at least 60gr of powder.

I was a died in the wool 300 win mag fan and killed quite a few 1000+ pound animals with one and saw a whole bunch fall.. Fact is my buddies kill hundreds of very large deer yearly with a measly 7mm-08 slinging 162gr eld-ms at 2750 or so.

Reloder 17 and 26 helps ‘08 based cartridges achieve basically -06 cartridge level ballistics.
7-08 and a 162 is a sweet combo but ballistically a 147 @ 3000 is notably better than a 162 @ 2750 or a 180 @ 2625 (WAG)?

Reloader 17 and 26 help ‘06 based cartridges achieve basically short mag level ballistics; and helps short mags reach bigger magnum level ballistics..