6.5 Prc vs 7mm-08

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don’t have a 20” barreled Creed. It’s 2019, so I haven’t shot a partition out of any of the creeds I have owned. I’m getting 2820 out of a 22” barreled Creedmoor with 140 Berger’s.

Let’s break down some ballistics real quick. I’m not going to say the Partition is a good long range bullet but I’ll use your loads to compare. The op is interested in shooting to 700 yards.

So at 700 your saum pushing a 160 partition is going 1903 FPS with 106.6” of drop.

Your 7-08 with the 140 partition is going 1743 FPS and dropping -121.8”

A 6.5 prc with a 147 eldm is going 2249 started out at 3k with -96.3” of drop.

My 6.5 Creed load is going 2026 with -97.3 “ of drop.

This is all off 100 yard zeros. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don't you compare apples to apples. Picking different bullets to try to prove your point doesn't prove anything. What barrel lengths are you using for your ballistics?

ckleeves

WKR
Why don't you compare apples to apples. Picking different bullets to try to prove your point doesn't prove anything. What barrel lengths are you using for your ballistics?

I’m using YOUR numbers and generic PRC numbers. 3k is a reasonable speed for a prc. In the Creed I’m using a load with a 22” barrel over a Labrador.

Nothing wrong with the 7-08 or the 7saum. I’m not picking on them all. BC plays a huge function in comparing and the partition isn’t a high bc bullet at all. You keep referencing them so I did too.

If you MUST shoot Elk, out to 700 yards, go with the .270 WSM and 140 AccuBonds or, Berger Classic Hunters starting at around,.. 3,200 FPS ! Especially if , 24" and Braked ! IMO the 7mm-08 is great for Ladies/ Kids even, UN braked !
But I wouldn't try a 700 Yard shot on, an Elk with it. You might also look at the 7 SAUM.

My .270 WSM w/ 140 AB's is still going OVER, 2,000 FPS at, 750 Yards
The "NeedMore",.. is a "POP Gun" compared, to that ! LOL !
Maybe, I'll look into, the lil' needmore for,.. chits and giggles !

Why does a 7-08 running a 180 ELD? I’ve seen reports of factory field craft pushing them to 2600. With the BC they have, that seems like it hangs pretty well with a CM running 147s.

I would imagine you can build a 7-08 around a 162 or 180 ELD that would perform VERY well

mtmuley

WKR
Sorry. That was about 6.5's only. There is some guys on LRH wringing out the .277 though. Kirby Allen for one. Special gear though. mtmuley

Thread jack continued.. .277 is a really nice bore diameter but it’s sandwiched between two others that have much better bullet options so I don’t see why a guy would ever go with one with intentions to shoot long. Feel the same way about quarter bores. Listened to a couple tundra talk podcasts where Freel talks about his 270-280ai, talk about an inconvenient way to get 270wsm like performance in a heavier action..

As for the OP, ballistics favor the PRC but you can shoot bigger bullets for elk in the 7 if that matters.

mtmuley

WKR
luke, I don't use either. My kids used .270's to kill elk. I'm a RUM guy, have been since 2000. Compensating I guess. Just giving info. mtmuley

ckleeves

WKR
People get way to attached to a certain cartridge and turn a blind eye to the cold hard facts.

I like the 6.5 Creed, but I take it for what it is and realize what it’s not. It’s not a legit 700 yard elk cartridge as much as everyone wants it to be. It is an easy cartridge to load for and shoot. I would be just as happy with a .260 or a 6.5x47.

I like the 300 wm but I realize there are faster options out there. The 300 PRC, 30 Nos and 300 RUM will walk all over it but in the end I’m happy with it and don’t feel like rechambering and buying dies and brass to start with a new cartridge, although I would be happy with any one of them.

I like both the 270 win and 270 WSM but bullet selection comes into play with them. My current 270 WSM is pushing 140 accubonds at 3330 but it falls off quick. I can’t imagine the barrel has much life left it in and and not sure what I’ll rechamber to. Might even do another 270 wsm because even though I realize it’s faults it kills elk like lightning inside 500 yards.

So pick what makes you happy but don’t preach it non stop when every cartridge has a few faults whether it’s short barrel life, hard to get brass, poor ballistics, recoil, doesn’t fit in a certain action length well, bullet selection etc.

I wasn't "pushing", the .270 WSM on anybody, I was just suggesting that, it was better than what he was choosing to shoot 700 yards, with. Trust me, I do realize, the .277 dia Bullet's "limitation's" ! I'm NOT interested, in Long Range "hunting" with it, anyway ! I would have kept my custom .338 Win Mag if I wanted, to shoot "long range".
Out to 600-700 yards, the .270 WSM does, what I 'need' and it is fairly, pleasant, to shoot, even as, UN Braked ! I only paid, $620.00 for my New Tikka T3, SS Lite, L-H, "closeout" priced, in .270 WSM and she easily shoots, Sub MOA ( got several, 1.25 inch, ctr to ctr, 200 yard groups ) When, I wear out the ole' girls Barrel, I will build a 7mm-.270 WSM out of the action. Til' then,.. I'm pretty happy "as is". My Elk this year, jumped twice, then,.. DEAD !

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m using YOUR numbers and generic PRC numbers. 3k is a reasonable speed for a prc. In the Creed I’m using a load with a 22” barrel over a Labrador.

Nothing wrong with the 7-08 or the 7saum. I’m not picking on them all. BC plays a huge function in comparing and the partition isn’t a high bc bullet at all. You keep referencing them so I did too.

You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me. Lol

ckleeves

WKR
You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me. Lol

Yes, it is faster at the muzzle. At 100 yards the Creed is passing it though.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You mentioned that my 7-08 velocities were in the CM range. That's why I asked what your velocities were with that load. Even with my "old" bullets and shorter barrel it appears to be a little faster. There's a pile of different cartridges that aren't that different. That's why the prc doesn't impress me much. Not enough difference to buy another rifle for me.
Yes, it is faster at the muzzle. At 100 yards the Creed is passing it though.

What would your velocity be with 140 grain Partitions at 100 yds?

Your posts in this thread seem to be focused on being satisfied with your rifles and not so much what rifle the OP should build.