6.5 Prc vs 7mm-08

ckleeves

WKR
What would your velocity be with 140 grain Partitions at 100 yds?

I really have no idea without working up a load. If they were started at the same velocity as a Berger (doubtful with bearing surface) then at 100 yards it would be going 2662 according to shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
Your posts in this thread seem to be focused on being satisfied with your rifles and not so much what rifle the OP should build.

X2. I’m done arguing about a completely different topic. Sorry to the OP for sidetracking this thread so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
Thanks again everyone for your info/input. It has all helped. I enjoyed it all and don't mind the debating. Keeps it entertaining haha

Dusty2426

WKR
6.5 prc is not doing anything that the 6.5-284 can’t do from what I can read. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
While my ass is a bit hanging out here but I can’t see how any cartridges handily beat a case full of rl26 behind a 180gr eld-m in a 7mm-08 for 700 and in, that doesn’t burn at least 60gr of powder.

I was a died in the wool 300 win mag fan and killed quite a few 1000+ pound animals with one and saw a whole bunch fall.. Fact is my buddies kill hundreds of very large deer yearly with a measly 7mm-08 slinging 162gr eld-ms at 2750 or so.

Reloder 17 and 26 helps ‘08 based cartridges achieve basically -06 cartridge level ballistics.

The real question: is the juice worth the squeeze?

Ur call. I will say that I know a few guys that have shot heaps, literal heaps of stags and hate 270’s and it’s pretty hard to argue otherwise.

6.5 is for euro fags, 270 is just gay, 300 win mag is for compensators and So all you got left is the 7mm-08. For real men.

Oh wait this is for a female.

Shut this thread down.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Real men tote a 7-08... I’m gonna go bang my dick with a hammer now.

Make sure it’s your own hammer and not someone else’s. That ain’t right.

To be fair if you sit on your left hand for a bit it’ll go numb and feel like strange stuff once put in use.

The beauty of miss Michigan is she never says no.

While my ass is a bit hanging out here but I can’t see how any cartridges handily beat a case full of rl26 behind a 180gr eld-m in a 7mm-08 for 700 and in, that doesn’t burn at least 60gr of powder.

I was a died in the wool 300 win mag fan and killed quite a few 1000+ pound animals with one and saw a whole bunch fall.. Fact is my buddies kill hundreds of very large deer yearly with a measly 7mm-08 slinging 162gr eld-ms at 2750 or so.

Reloder 17 and 26 helps ‘08 based cartridges achieve basically -06 cartridge level ballistics.

7-08 and a 162 is a sweet combo but ballistically a 147 @ 3000 is notably better than a 162 @ 2750 or a 180 @ 2625 (WAG)?

Reloader 17 and 26 help ‘06 based cartridges achieve basically short mag level ballistics; and helps short mags reach bigger magnum level ballistics..

The 180 at 2625 drifts .6 inches more then The 147 at 3000.... at 700 yards in my atmosphere.

The 180 is a monster.

I bought a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a factory 20" barrel last year and love it. 140 grain Partitions @2860fps and 120 grain NBTs @3000fps. It's very accurate and about as handy of a rifle that I've ever owned. The 6.5 PRC numbers hasn't impressed me. I'm getting better numbers out of what I already have.
If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the 7-08 again without hesitation.

What are your loads? All I use is the 7-08, 20” bartlien 2b and hodgedon book max loads for me with h4350 are going 2700 for the 140 partition and 2860 for the 120 ballistic tip. I keep meaning to switch to varget, but never get around to it. Those number depress me, but i love that rifle the most and have stacked bodies with it from ak to ga and many points in between, and while I’d like the numbers you’re getting, it doesn’t change anything inside 600, which is why I never get around to new loads

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
What are your loads? All I use is the 7-08, 20” bartlien 2b and hodgedon book max loads for me with h4350 are going 2700 for the 140 partition and 2860 for the 120 ballistic tip. I keep meaning to switch to varget, but never get around to it. Those number depress me, but i love that rifle the most and have stacked bodies with it from ak to ga and many points in between

My 120 grain NBT load is a book max of Varget and my accuracy really dialed in when I switched to magnum primers(WLRM). My 140 grain Partition load is with Big Game powder and a WLRM primer.
I could probably wring more out of the 120 grain load with Big Game powder, but am happy where it is.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Get that performance in a true short action and improved barrel life.

I've read that folks are saying that factory 6.5 PRC loads won't fit in all short actions. Are you having any issues in yours, if not, what action do you have?

Thanks in advance for the info.

OP
O
I've read that folks are saying that factory 6.5 PRC loads won't fit in all short actions. Are you having any issues in yours, if not, what action do you have?

Thanks in advance for the info.

You are correct. They aren't fitting in a lot without modifications.... I'm actually going to have mine built in a long action because of this.

N2TRKYS

WKR
You are correct. They aren't fitting in a lot without modifications.... I'm actually going to have mine built in a long action because of this.
A guy I know built one on a 300 WSM M70 action. He likes to seat his bullets long and said he didn't have any issues.
I don't know, may be something else to look at.

I messed with a magazine fed 6.5 PRC model 7 from Collier Rifles that functioned well and stacked hornady factory and whatever handloads we were using- but I have no particulars on the build. I know Joe has built 4 or 5 of them now, on both Long and short actions. Like the 65-284 and 6.5 257ai it may be too much of a tweener for me in the end.

OP
O
A guy I know built one on a 300 WSM M70 action. He likes to seat his bullets long and said he didn't have any issues.
I don't know, may be something else to look at.

It's definitely working in some. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a 1/2 in. and a few ounces and know it will feed really smooth. Also lots of options down the road if I ever shoot out the barrel, etc. This gun is all 700 based. I could use an extended mag box but this gun is controlled round feed and the mechanical ejector doesn't really lend itself to modification. Is possible but not the most reliable option. I could go with detachable bottom metal in the SA and it would barely fit but I'm not a fan of those in a hunting rifle.

N2TRKYS

WKR
It's definitely working in some. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a 1/2 in. and a few ounces and know it will feed really smooth. Also lots of options down the road if I ever shoot out the barrel, etc. This gun is all 700 based. I could use an extended mag box but this gun is controlled round feed and the mechanical ejector doesn't really lend itself to modification. Is possible but not the most reliable option. I could go with detachable bottom metal in the SA and it would barely fit but I'm not a fan of those in a hunting rifle.

Did I miss read it or do you have a M700 action that's controll round fed?