6.5 PRC

OP
D
The 6.5 PRC and 300 win mag are two very different things in my opinion.

I can admit that im not reall familiar with all these calibers. Here was my thought process. They compare the 6.5 cm to a 308. I have heard the 6.5 prc be refered to as the magnum to the 6.5 cm and the 300 wm like the 308 mag. Thats how I was connecting them.

amerimono

FNG
I think she will make it. It’s the only Sammi spec round in that velocity node. The action deal is very screwy but custom rifles sales are at an all-time high.

I am building a short barrel 6.5 PRC using the defiance XM ultralight action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you using detachable bottom metal in this build? If so, who are you getting it from?

Just picked up a Fierce Edge in a 6.5PRC, shooting factory ELDX at .25MOA.

Once this barrel goes, itll be a 20 inch proof.. so I sure hope this isnt a fad cause I plan on shooting it for a long time.

khuber84

WKR
Any updates on your 6.5 PRC's I had a hunter kill a mnt goat with one and It was lights out. Shooting 156 bergers at over 3000. I want one!
156 over 3k fps will definitely kill. Some guys have had hit/miss expansion results on lighter game with the 156, and they've gone back to 140s due to know game performance reliability.

Coley O

FNG
I think she will make it. It’s the only Sammi spec round in that velocity node. The action deal is very screwy but custom rifles sales are at an all-time high.

I am building a short barrel 6.5 PRC using the defiance XM ultralight action.

New to the forum. Found it because of this thread. How's your shorty PRC working for you? I am looking to build a shorter, 18inch barrel, 6.5 rifle to be suppressed capable of taking an Elk at 800 yards. I was leaning towards the 6.5 CM but the PRC is appealing because I theoretically could have a little more power behind it at longer distances. Is the PRC too much for a 18 inch barrel?

Coley O

FNG
Oh
My 22" barrel is shooting @Unknown Munitions new Mayhem series of ammo at 3000 FPS. That's with a 156 Bereger. Think about that:)
Oh its got me thinking. Overthinking Probably. I'm hung up on an 18 inch barrel because my suppressor is almost 8 inches. I'm looking to send that Berger 144 Long Range 2800 FPS. You running a short action or medium?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yeah using ADG. One thing to add my FB is .188 anything less would probably have pressure issues.

Here is a 5 shot group, average velocity was 2995.

f4d0936c569ecac3fa4856169470dab6.jpg

Last edited:

ericF

WKR
Very nice. I got in on the Hells Canyon Armory Tikka build package so I'll have one coming sometime in the next year with a .188 freebore. Are you also running a 1:8 twist. Right now i'm planning on a 1:7 twist for any future monometal improvements, but 1:7.5 seems to be the more recommended twist for the 156 with most people having no issues with 1:8.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have one being built by Mike at Hells Canyon Armory. We spoke a lot about different calibers and we settled on the 6.5 PRC. Factory ammo is from hornady and it shoots lights out. Everything I have read, most ppl are getting 1/2 MOA at 100y. Also ppl have having an easy time reloading it as well.
Hornady is the only manufacturer making ammo. Copper Creek and Ammunition Choice will be selling ammo as well as reloads. Brass you can get from ADG or Bertram.
I believe it’s going to stay. Lots of rifle manufacturers are producing rifles in this caliber. It’s been out for 2yrs I believe. Only time will tell but I fee like it will.

Don't forget Unknown Munitions loading in ADG brass!