6.5 PRC

Can a 6.5 PRC ethically takedown an elk? From the research I have done it seems debatable and varies from person to person.

Rsearch should only bring about facts. The facts dictate a threshold of X fps to expand bullet Y reliably. The energy is the product that ensures this. Most will say different numbers. Some as low as 1000 ft lbs at the desired distance as long as fps are still high. It is a balancing act that many game animals have already lost to the PRC. Run some ballistics and determine your comfort level. A .223 can kill an elk out to a distance, but the PRC should prove a little better.

woods89

WKR
I'd read the 223 for Deer, Bear, Elk, and Moose thread. I think it will inform your research!

I've carried a 6.5 Creedmoor on one elk trip (didn't ever get a chance to shoot it at an elk) and hopefully will again next fall. If a PRC is marginal for elk I'm sunk, lol.

So much knockdown power it knocks em right off their feet. DRT. Like a lazer beam with tons of hydrostatic shock.

EmperorMA

WKR
Energy doesn't kill. Impact velocity and bullet construction combine with placement to do the deed. The elk isn't going to know the difference between a properly-constructed 6.5mm bullet impacting at 1900 fps passing through its lungs or the same properly constructed .338 bullet, also impacting at 1900 fps.

Same goes for 2900 fps, or anything in between.

My biggest bull ever, a massive 6x6 that weighed close to 900 lbs on the hoof, fell to a single 125gr NPT fired from a 6.5x284 at a lasered 435 yards. It was a broadside shot, with the bullet entering right smack in the middle of the left shoulder, blowing apart the entire joint, plowing through the vitals (along with bone fragments) then destroying the off shoulder, leaving a 2" exit. The big bull dropped straight down into his last hoof prints as if hit by lightning, and never twitched. The 6.5x284 is a very similar round to the 6.5 PRC.

The 6.5 prc is more than capable. Just like what most say here, it all depends on shot placement, along with distance.sub 600 yards with a properly sighted in rifle should leave you no doubt that the elk with be killed.

As the devout 308 Win followers will tell you, its diameter is an astounding 0.044" larger than the 6.5 PRC. If you show up in the elk woods with a 308 Win, the elk will be trembling in fear. Likewise if you show up in the elk woods with a 6.5 PRC, those same elk will laugh at you since the 6.5's diameter is staggeringly small in comparison. Ignore those folks. Using commercial ammo for both rounds, the 6.5 PRC beats the snot out the 308 Win across the board the moment you squeeze the trigger.

In all seriousness, the 308 Win is a great choice and has served a ton of folks very well. If it can slay elk, and others such as the 270 Win, then the 6.5 PRC can do it as well. The shoot has a large impact on "success" than the the actual cartridge being used.

The main thing is to know your ballistics, know the best application of your bullet (ex: lungs v. shoulder), take a shot that you are comfortable with and hit the animal where the bullet will perform best. Especially for elk, you should shoot the most powerful round that you can as long as you can do so accurately and consistently.

wyosam

WKR
The 6.5 prc is more than capable. Just like what most say here, it all depends on shot placement, along with distance.sub 600 yards with a properly sighted in rifle should leave you no doubt that the elk with be killed.

The 338 Lapua is also capable, still depends on shot placement though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffstes

FNG
Barnes’ 6.5PRC LRX looks like it has some really great mass retention on impact. Speed and energy are there in spades within 300 yards (beyond that people can debate all they want, that’s where I’m comfortable shooting for now). But as long as you have a good controlled expansion bullet at a reasonable distance you should be fine.

I'm building a 6.5 PRC for mule deer and elk. I'm hoping to run 142-156 at 2950-3050. If that won't work for elk under 600 yards, I don't know what will.

brushape

WKR
91FD8EAE-2188-4D14-A369-D8AD6D70655A.jpegIt is hands down the best caliber I’ve ever shot. The 147 ELDM is the bullet I’d choose over anything. When it hits its like a freight train.