6.5 RPM

What specifically about the RPM drew you to it? What are you wanting to achieve with this cartridge?

Ballistics should be similar to the PRC but not as good as the 6.5-300. Ammo is quite a bit more expensive than the PRC but can be mitigated if you hand-load.

OP
W
I love weatherby rifles. Bought my dad a 6.5 prc and love how it shoots. Looking to get into the 6.5 caliber. I hunt mule deer, elk and antelope primarily. Max range 600 yards

2five7

WKR
I bought one in 2020, Weathermark LT. Love the rifle, and the cartridge. Matches the 264 WM without the belt. Currently shooting 140 TGK at 3100 fps with H1000. Brass is generally available new, and occasionally as once fired direct from Weatherby.

OP
W
Have you killed anything with it yet? Is it good on elk to 600 yards? Looking at purchasing the Weatherby Weathermark in burnt bronze

wyosteve

WKR
I just picked up my Backcountry Ti in 6.5 RPM yesterday so can't give any input on how it shoots. I wanted a mid-caliber rifle and have never owned a Weatherby. So, since they are now made in Wyoming I thought I'd support a 'local' business. Ammo isn't really much more expensive that the others. I've found some $55 to $60 per box.

OP
W
That’s awesome. I’m new to this site. A buddy of mine recommended to it. Said it’s great info for anything and everything hunting. I’m looking to sell my Christensen Arms 28 nosler as well but i did read that you have to post so many times I guess? Is that correct?

BjornF16

WKR
I had a Backcountry 6.5 RPM.

Took a whitetail deer with it using Hammer bullets. Handloads were pretty accurate. Factory 127 LRX was MOA-ish. Factory Hornady soft points had terrible accuracy. Never could find factory Accubonds to try.

I sold it off as not being significantly superior to 6.5 PRC which, at the time, had much better availability of factory ammo and less costly to hand load. Also have a Wby Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI that I liked better than the RPM.

If my birthday gift to myself ever comes in, I may sell that 280AI as well.

rdb83

FNG
I have a backcountry 2.0 ti and I love it. I killed 2 bucks with it last year.

Seeknelk

WKR
T
Have you killed anything with it yet? Is it good on elk to 600 yards? Looking at purchasing the Weatherby Weathermark in burnt bronze
That depends on the bullet choice and shooters ability more than anything else. 140 eldm won't drop below 1800 fps until it's a lot further than most should be shooting at game.

wyosteve

WKR
Just to follow up on an old post. Got the RPM tuned in and took it on an aoudad hunt in Jan. It shoots great with factory ammo. Used Barnes 127 LRX, 375 yds. 1 shot-aoudad down. The more I shoot it, the smoother the titanium action is getting.

I started by wanting a light rifle. Ended getting a Backcountry 1.0, thought I'd try a 6.5 RPM. Glad I did, the rifle shoots very well with a few different bullets. I've been impressed with the cartridge.
I got frowned on when I showed up with a 6.5 creedmoor. But after a 495 yard one shot kill. They was impressed! Aoudad didn’t make it 8 yards.