6.5 SAUM Bertram brass review

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I had the opportunity to test some 6.5 SAUM Bertram brass recently, here's my review.

Case Weight- I weighed all 100 cases and came up with an average weight of 213.4 grains, SD was 1.5 grains, and the spread was 6.7 grains.

Case Length- I measured the length of the cases and they were very consistent at 2.025"

Neck thickness- I measured the neck thickness on 25 cases and found quite a bit of variation, thickness ranged from .015-.020, these cases need neck turned for consistency.

Case Volume- I compared case volume with 12 randomly selected cases by zeroing on my scale and filling with H20, case volume ranged from 74.3 grains to 76. volume from case to case was very inconsistent and varied by up to .7 grains or more.
I checked volume on my necked down Norma 7 SAUM cases for comparison, and with 12 cases volume varied from 72-72.5 grains with most cases varying by .1 grain or less.

Flash Holes- I checked flash holes and many were partially blocked by jagged pieces of brass, flash holes definitely need a lot of prep. See picture below for example of flash hole blockage.

I loaded up some rounds with H1000 and wasn't able to get good ES or SD like I do with Norma brass.
I tried Retumbo and was able to get an SD of 4, and an ES of 11, velocity with the first 6 cases averaged 3055 FPS, the next 6 cases also had low SD and ES but velocity averaged 3025 FPS. I attribute the velocity difference to variation in case volume; the first 6 cases averaged 74.4 grains while the other 6 cases had an average volume of 75.2 grains.

In summary the brass seemed tough, and after 4 max loads primer pockets were still very tight.
The downside is that cases need lots of prep, and case volume is inconsistent.
It's great to see head stamped 6.5 SAUM brass, but I found Norma 7 SAUM brass to be a lot higher quality.
IMG_20190120_121354413.jpg

Thanks for the write up. Just curious do you skim necks on your Norma brass? The 12 Norma cases you measured for volume were those new cases or fired?
Those flash holes look like they definitely need some attention.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
How did it shoot?

Did you measure volume once fired?

What did you measure the necks with?

Thanks for the feed back!

Clarktar

WKR
I'm interested in the 6.5 saum brass. Did you check volume after being fired?

I'm contemplating a 6.5 saum and Berger 156......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk