6.5 SAUM VS 6.5 PRC

khuber84

WKR
I've got a few of both. I run adg brass in both chamberings. Use rcbs matchmaster dies in both. Neither of my prcs like the 156 berger with multiple powders and primers. They do like 140 Bergers though. 26" barrel prc is running 3140fps w/ N565 about 1 grain below pressure @ 3180 fps. My saums run 156 bergers, both cut with long freebore. I run them @ 3090fps w/ N565 powder, 26" barrels. I can run them hotter but the accuracy isn't quite as good and it's hard on brass. These are all built on tikkas cept 1 prc is a CA Mesa LR. Bartlein or hells canyon carbon barrels all 26" long. The adg prc brass starts getting annoying clickers and slight bolt lift on prior no pressure observed loads after 3-4 reloads. The saum adg brass has 7-8 firings on it with no issues. Adg brass is good stuff, however I do skim turn the necks to knock down the high sides. I do like the non rebated rim of the prc for feeding off the lips of and action, but the Tikka is a centerfeed box, and zero issues feeding with either case. I do run then in a long action config with the hells canyon billet short mag magazines.

EmperorMA

WKR
Prc if running factory ammo and Saum if you reload. With quality brass for the Saum being available I see no reason not to go that option and When I had the same debate I went Sarum and don’t regret it. View attachment 234439
Who is producing “quality brass” for the wildcat 6.5 SAUM?

And, is there such a thing? Remington never loaded it that I’m aware of.

I’ve had several PRC’s. My current is a Gunwerks ClymR with a 21” tube. Shoots 127 LRX at 3055. I’m also having Steve Boswell build me an ultra lite Ti with a 23” tube and will probably shoot 143 ELD X out of that one.
What is your load data with the 127lrx?

khuber84

WKR
Who is producing “quality brass” for the wildcat 6.5 SAUM?

And, is there such a thing? Remington never loaded it that I’m aware of.
Adg makes the brass. You can also buy loaded norma/prime ammo from target sports. It pushes 142smk @ 3100 from my 26" barrels. Your freebore needs to be 120 or more, if not you're jammed in the lands.

Danny1788

FNG
@ Ryan Avery
I think it would depend more on the action being used & if its gonna be BDL or DBM than Saum Vs PRC.

I would never build a PRC with .188" factory FB on a Rem Sa, it would only be a medium length or LA.
The Saum works very well with the .120" FB and a wyatts length BDL box.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
@ Ryan Avery
I think it would depend more on the action being used & if its gonna be BDL or DBM than Saum Vs PRC.

I would never build a PRC with .188" factory FB on a Rem Sa, it would only be a medium length or LA.
The Saum works very well with the .120" FB and a wyatts length BDL box.

It’s going to be on a LA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntnPack

WKR
If your considering a SAUM, maybe bump up to a Sherman 6.5 ss, or: if on a med. or long action go
6.5 Max.
ADG headstamped, formed brass, reamers, & bushing dies.

Last edited:

excaliber

WKR
If you have any thought of reloading I'd go with the 6.5 SAUM. There are well known issues with the 6.5 PRC dies(All manufacturers)not sizing the brass properly.

I was going to build a PRC earlier this year but am waiting to see what they work out with the dies. I'd go 26" on the 6.5 PRC but that's me.