6.5. With a 156 grain Berger

Sodbuster

WKR
Put together a load for my prc.
Tested out well and I am ready for deer season.

Then I tried a non scientific penetration test.
7683288d2767b27e06f9e4e8dbfc1ac0.jpg

First shot,adjust then five as fast as I could go. 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I’ll take it off your hands to save you the trouble! I don’t have a fast 6.5, I’m still monitoring the new ones to decide.

Very nice, the penetration is impressive

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
Has anyone killed an animal with these? I am really interested in developing a load for my new 6.5 PRC with the 156, but kinda want to see some real world performance before I take them into the field.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
Plate was at 100 yards, same as the paper target.

Not sure on the steel hardness as I get these at not cost from my dozer operator and they come from various places.
Bring them to the house and shoot them,

This load averaged 2990 fps. N565. I have room to go faster but calling the game right here.
I don't have enough RL 26 on hand to work up something with it.

I had good luck with 150 SMK's last year so these should work well. I will be finding out.

Ein, good to hear a success story on these.

Can’t wait to see the results this year from the 156s. Given how the other EOL bullets I’ve used have performed. I suspect the 156 will be an awesome bullet on game.

1000yrds

FNG
The main issue you have is that most companies 6.5 cal bullets in the 120 to 130 weight class. Other than Matrix I don't know of any other company producing bullets in that weight class. Sierra has a 150 grain but that's about it. Let me correct myself, Hornady makes the 160 Interlock but I personally won't use their products I just don't think the quality is there, especially their brass.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
The main issue you have is that most companies 6.5 cal bullets in the 120 to 130 weight class. Other than Matrix I don't know of any other company producing bullets in that weight class. Sierra has a 150 grain but that's about it. Let me correct myself, Hornady makes the 160 Interlock but I personally won't use their products I just don't think the quality is there, especially their brass.
Hornady ELD's are quality
I hunt with the 147 ELDM in my 6.5 saum and they're awesome.
I've killed two bulls at long range with the 147's, and a bunch of bucks.
I'm liking the looks of the 156, heavier is even more of a good thing.
I might make the switch if they shoot as good as the 147's