6.5. With a 156 grain Berger

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
8 twist wasn't fast enough for the 156 for me. Berger's stability calculator said it would be sacrificing bc at lower elevation and colder temps. That was exactly what I experienced. It made calculating my drop accurately too difficult. If I was only shooting in warmer temperatures and or higher elevation I probably could have went with it but practicing at lower elevation and hunting in the mountains didn't work out well. First round impacts were a guessing game. Going back to 140 hvld.

8 twist wasn't fast enough for the 156 for me. Berger's stability calculator said it would be sacrificing bc at lower elevation and colder temps. That was exactly what I experienced. It made calculating my drop accurately too difficult. If I was only shooting in warmer temperatures and or higher elevation I probably could have went with it but practicing at lower elevation and hunting in the mountains didn't work out well. First round impacts were a guessing game. Going back to 140 hvld.
What was your muzzle velocity?

tdhanses

WKR
Worked these up in my 6.5 Creedmoor fieldcraft 22 inch barrel, Reloader 26 Hornady brass federal 210M very accurate! 2700fps seated .010 from the lands..

I’m getting 2720ft/s with RL16 in a 20” barrel, primers are just starting to flatten, very interested in your load as now that I have more RL26 coming I want to see what it does. Have you tried seating further off the lands, around .09? I’ve found they like a big jump.

Savagenut

WKR
I shot two bull elk (Wyoming and Colorado) this year wit my 6.5 GAP and 156 Berger EOL at 2850 fps, absolutely flattened both elk. The Wyoming elk was standing at 250 yards with a high shoulder shot, complete pass thru. The Colorado bull was flat out running at 150 yards and he turned towards me where I hit him above the right shoulder low in the neck. Wrecked the lungs, shrapnel hole in liver, rode the spine down to where it meets the pelvis, DRT. The bullet traveled 3 feet, I'm sold!

Are you running these in a short action ? What’s your oal?

Sako76

WKR
The rifle is a Long Range Rifles Inc. Mountain Rifle with a Pierce Titanium action. It is not a short action, the mag reads "300 Win". The ammo is from Copper Creek, the COAL is on their website.

Cajun Guy

FNG
156 grain Berger in a PRC.
This is the second due with these bullets. First was a fast ten yard facial
Dead but not much of a test.
Sausage meat is secure so now can stretch her out.
I will take any shoulder shot on a big buck with this bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even under 100 yards?

Are you still liking this bullet?

cowboy300

WKR
Had no issues killing my shiras moose last year with 6.5 PRC 156 Berger combo. 200 ydish shot bull was slight quartering to me shot just behind front leg bone and found base of bullet on far side skin. Just killed an aoudad ram at 708yds complete pass through entered behind front leg exited off side neck and DRT

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Glad this thread was brought up again. I'm done with load work up and running the 156 gr at 3035 fps in a 6.5 PRC 26" barrel at .020" off, Gunwerks/ADG brass and N565. And they shoot amazing.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
262 yards. Last half of the last day of Missouri firearms season.I spotted him bedded down on the side of a levee and then saw that he had a hot doe tucked into the brush behind him. There were four smaller bucks harassing him but he would not give her up.
He would jump up, spin around, then lay back down.
When I finally shot, he was quartering to me. Bullet went in just in front of the shoulder and out in front of his back hip. Two hops and he was down. Bullet worked on this deer just like like the other.

I may get to try this same load thru a different rifle and a 20 inch Proof barrel on Monday.

I finally found a good load with these in my 26 Nosler. I've been accurately ringing steel with them at 3180 FPS. Looking forward to testing them out in my 6.5 PRC as well but haven't had the time yet.

OP
Sodbuster

Sodbuster

WKR
I found some Reloader 26 and was going to redo this load. Looking for a little more velocity.
90 humid Missouri degrees with a 5 mph cross.
I had the swarm X5i on another gun, mounted back on the Tikka and shot a group for the heck of it.
The off hole was a 22 rimfire at a 100 yards. The other three are my original N565 load. Going to keep this one for this gun and start on the proof barrel with the R26.