6.5 x 47 or more mainstream caliber?

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a buddy who will sell me a custom built 6.5 x 47 lapua. Gun shoots .5 moa and is exactly what in looking for in barrel length, stock, weight, ect.. He would give me 100 rounds of his loaded ammo aswell.
I'm a reloader but havnt been super into it the past few years as work has kept me pretty busy. I'm been wanting to get back into it and this would obviously give me a push.
So do I buy this or do I buy a little more mainstream catrgide such as 6.5 creed.

This would be for whitetail, mule deer, and antelope at medium range(600 or less).

Rob5589

WKR
If it has the specs you want, snatch it up. The 6.5x47 and Creed are basically twins ballistically. I would think that the CM would take less brass work and be easier to find. Lots of load data for both but the 6.5x47 leans more toward paper than hunting.

Mojave

WKR
There is some factory ammo from Lapua. Not much of it is imported with hunting bullets.

I'd buy it, In my area lapua brass is always available for it and you have the option of srp or lrp brass. Depending on your primer situation or your hunting temperatures. Tons of bullet and powder options for that thing which is a plus to me, I'm not happy unless I'm tinkering with something.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Great cartridge, but if factory ammo availability is a concern, wait on a Creedmoor. I had a 6.5x47 and loved it, but was going to AK for Caribou and wanted to be able to walk in a store and get factory ammo in case my hand loads got lost by the airlines, so I went with a Creedmoor.

John

Last edited:

Fire_9

WKR
No I would pass , a cm , PCR , 6.5-284 , 6.5x55 at least have ammo and brass to purchase, wildcat isn’t my cup of tea
Since when is the 6.5x47 a wildcat?

I always hear the argument or needing to be able to walk into any box store and find ammo. How many times has this actually happened? You can fly your rifle and ammo in the same case so are you magically going to lose one and not the other?

If it’s what you want, snag it. The 47 is a sweet little round.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're willing to reload and want to get back into it, I would buy it. Sounds like a cool rifle and the 6.5x47 is a known shooter. I want to do a 25x47 someday.

Plus, think of all the money you'll save in 5.11 tactical pants not buying a Creedmoor! Lol

woods89

WKR
I've got a buddy who will sell me a custom built 6.5 x 47 lapua. Gun shoots .5 moa and is exactly what in looking for in barrel length, stock, weight, ect.. He would give me 100 rounds of his loaded ammo aswell.
I'm a reloader but havnt been super into it the past few years as work has kept me pretty busy. I'm been wanting to get back into it and this would obviously give me a push.
So do I buy this or do I buy a little more mainstream catrgide such as 6.5 creed.

This would be for whitetail, mule deer, and antelope at medium range(600 or less).
If you reload I don't see why not, just pick up enough brass to burn out the barrel.

That’s a sweet round that’s well regarded in competition circles. You could buy it, and then get a 6.5 creed to keep it company. Rifles are herd animals a need company to be happy.

OP
D

Damartin95

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a sweet round that’s well regarded in competition circles. You could buy it, and then get a 6.5 creed to keep it company. Rifles are herd animals a need company to be happy.
I agree. I already have quite a herd but I'm slowly upgrading to a more expensive herd. Lol I already have a cheap 6.5 just wanting to upragde. My buddy was a competition shooter which is why he has this caliber.

Tex_F15

FNG
The only real advantage over the CM is lapua brass. But that's a pretty big advantage. 100 pieces of brass should last the life of a barrel.

sacox31s

FNG
A gunsmith should be able to convert the 6.5x47L to a 6.5 Creedmore if needed. Creedmore chamber is slightly larger.

I'm a big fan of the cartridge, have had two rifles in the chambering and both bughole anything i put through them but they were also heavier rifles so easier to shoot. I'm on the fence about building a hunting weight one vs creedmoor. Factory ammo is a nice option and if I didn't already have all the dies/brass for x47 it would probably be easy to choose the creedmoor.

The only real advantage over the CM is lapua brass. But that's a pretty big advantage. 100 pieces of brass should last the life of a barrel.

Curious why that is an advantage since lapua started making creedmoor brass?