6.5CM 129gr vs 143gr for Deer

98TJ10

FNG
Self-proclaimed amateur with a Tikka 6.5CM "Rokslide Special" on the way. I've been doing a lot of research on (factory) rounds for whitetail and am unsure if I should be sticking with 129-130 gr rounds or 140-143's. Is the weight spread big enough to impact point of impact out to 300 yards/can I zero with one and use another without an appreciable difference in drop? Thank you in advance.

jofes

WKR
I shoot 143 eld-x because that's what my gun likes. More meat damage than I would like but it drops stuff.

Djacker

WKR
My gun isnt picky, shoots everything great, but ive used 143 eld-x, 140 Berger hybrids and most recently 124 grain Hammer Hunters. To 300 yards I saw very little difference in point of impact.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nope. Shoot whichever is more accurate out of your gun. The heavier bullet will have a better BC, but that’s an irrelevant figure at those ranges.

Vern400

WKR
You got enough gun. 129 or 143 doesn't matter and you don't need expensive stuff. Pick something your rifle likes, set up a 225 or 250 yard point - blank zero. You can dial in at 300 or just use a holdover if you don't have time. Make good shots and the gun will do the job. Buy a stack from the same lot number if you're going to shoot that stuff for a while.

The 143 ELD-X is arguably the best hunting bullet for the 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s never a bad choice for the caliber. It’s just too “vanilla”for tinkerers like myself wanting to try something new.

Depending on your affinity for accuracy the answer may vary. I’m an accuracy snob so I document different zeros between different loads and can correct depending on which one I’m shooting. The point of impact will vary between the two weights (amount will be dictated by your rifle). Most people will shoot both and pick the better shooting one and stay with that. If you are wanting to shoot both, you will need to confirm the zero with both and know what those differences are.

All that said, for some people’s purposes getting a “rough zero” and running with it despite load seems to be common place.