6.5CM, 280 AI, and what else

rootacres

WKR
Id probably do one of two things and it all depends how much you like your 280 AI and if you plan to hunt anything outside the lower 48.

If you are happy with your 280 then Id get a 6.5-300 or 257 WBY Mag. The 280 would be your elk rifle with one of those two being your extended range deer rifle. The 6.5 CM would be used when the situation calls for it.

If you aren't super happy with the 280 then id get a 300 WM or 300 WBY Mag. You'd be able to hunt anything on this continent and still have a 6.5 or 280 when the situation situation calls for it.

This is coming from a guy currently using a 7mm SAUM for deer and elk.

*** Just noticed you went 300 WM, congrats!

SpringTom

FNG
Good choice on the 300 win.

I have yet to try thank hammers, but plan to soon.

Good luck and enjoy!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ended up going with the 300 Win Mag for the reloading flexibility. Ordered a few sample packs of the Hammer Hunters in 152, 166, and 180 gr. I'll run a few ladders and see what I come up with for each of them in terms of speed nodes, check ballistics downrange and make a decision. Steve at HammerBullets really likes the 166 out of the 300 WM, so I'm pretty stoked to give that a try. Now I only hope I have the right powders.

I’ve really been enjoying my 300wm with my hammer hand loads. I like the 166g personally.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
At least he didn't ask us which yeti bowl color for the lifetime membership of his dog.

Throw a BC stock on that First Lite Vanguard and it's a lifetime rifle.

My dog has a yeti bowl, he seems to like it. We just went with the bare stainless one, I didn’t want to get into colors on that one.

I’ve got a 257 wby, 280 AI , and a 300 Win about to be popped out of the oven.

To be honest very little difference I feel between the three.

257 IMO is the perfect antelope and mule deer or big whitetail caliber . I hunt my Texas white tail with 220 swift or 22-250. Very very flat. Inch high at a 100 and you are basically hold on at 300. Multiple kills on antelope out to 325 and mule deer out to 300 in the last 5 years with it.

280 AI was devastating on my first mule deer I took with it. Left a baseball size exit on a 250 lb deer at about 150 yards. Was using 162 eld x at about 3000 FPS. Of course an excellent elk caliber as well, I have yet to use for elk though.

I doubt the 300 will be a noticeable performance benefit on elk over the 280. I’m planning on running 200 ELDX or something 190-205 range from Berger or Nosler depending on what shoots. 180s would be great as well but want to differentiate it from my 280. Main reason I had it built is the 280 I have is a wood stock custom build that was a gift, don’t think it will be ideal to be packing around in the high country or in Alaska some day. Wanted something synthetic and lighter and that I could justify using for moose or other bigger game if I ever get that chance.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
Good choice on the 300 win.

I have yet to try thank hammers, but plan to soon.

Good luck and enjoy!
I really suggest trying the Hammers. They are everything they are promised to be. I've never had easier load development, and they have been outstanding on the terminal end. Little bloodshot meat, but lungs turned to jelly. I pay shipping to AK for these things.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I’ve got a 257 wby, 280 AI , and a 300 Win about to be popped out of the oven.

To be honest very little difference I feel between the three.

257 IMO is the perfect antelope and mule deer or big whitetail caliber . I hunt my Texas white tail with 220 swift or 22-250. Very very flat. Inch high at a 100 and you are basically hold on at 300. Multiple kills on antelope out to 325 and mule deer out to 300 in the last 5 years with it.

280 AI was devastating on my first mule deer I took with it. Left a baseball size exit on a 250 lb deer at about 150 yards. Was using 162 eld x at about 3000 FPS. Of course an excellent elk caliber as well, I have yet to use for elk though.

I doubt the 300 will be a noticeable performance benefit on elk over the 280. I’m planning on running 200 ELDX or something 190-205 range from Berger or Nosler depending on what shoots. 180s would be great as well but want to differentiate it from my 280. Main reason I had it built is the 280 I have is a wood stock custom build that was a gift, don’t think it will be ideal to be packing around in the high country or in Alaska some day. Wanted something synthetic and lighter and that I could justify using for moose or other bigger game if I ever get that chance.
I really like my 280AI for elk, the 150 Shock Hammers are studs with H100V. The 300WM was the choice because if I decide it's not really for me, I should have good luck finding it another home here in AK. A good scattergun is also in the works for me.

.257 has been on my radar for awhile, I have a .280 and a .300win myself and if I only had a .280 now I’d go with the .257 I really like my .300win, but really my .280 is plenty for elk which is as big as I need. The .257 is such a cool flat shooting caliber, dammit this is making me start thinking about one I saw at the gun shop the other day again…