6.5CM and .223 Barrel Lengths

TX_Diver

WKR
Need to have 2 barrels threaded for a can sometime in the next year and am unsure how I want to establish a new length for them. The 6.5CM is new and I haven't loaded anything up for it yet so I was thinking of getting it cut/threaded soon so that it's done before I start loading/establishing dope, etc. I'm in no rush to chop the 223 down but may just get them done at the same time to be done with it.

Rifle is a T3x Superlite (fluted). As-is the barrel is just over 24". I think I'm limited to cutting like 3" off or so max before I get into the flutes. Would y'all just recommend cutting it as short as possible? Will be using H4350 w/ 147ELD-Ms.

Other rifle is a standard T3x lite in .223. Standard length is 22". I shoot this one at the house a bit just for plinking. Would love for it to still fit in my closet w/ the can on there but that would mean cutting it to like 16-17". Any downside other than velocity loss for that? Loading 77gr SMKs over N140 for this one and already have a load I like for the 22" barrel.

I have zero experience w/ shorter barrels and suppressors so figured I'd check in here first. Will likely put an Area 419 universal adapter on each and don't really anticipate using a muzzle brake on either ever.

Thanks

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Don’t have much experience with shorter barrel rifles either but I dropped off both my t3x’s 6.5 and 223 to be chopped for use with a can at some point. I opted to have them both cut to 20” just to keep the feel similar more than anything.

WKR
Cut a 223 down to 16.5 and suppressed it works great. Been stopping at 18" on smallish 6.5 stuff. Depending on depth of flutes, a guy can still chop into them and thread for a suppressor.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Rifle is a T3x Superlite (fluted). As-is the barrel is just over 24". I think I'm limited to cutting like 3" off or so max before I get into the flutes. Would y'all just recommend cutting it as short as possible? Will be using H4350 w/ 147ELD-Ms.

The superlite can be threaded into the flutes. @Shooter71

How far are you wanting to kill animals with the 6.5 and 223? It’s just a MV and impact velocity thing. I shoot a significant amount of animals beyond 600 with the Creedmoor therefore generally use 20”, same for the 223 which gets the 77gr TMK to 500+/- for terminal velocity. When I am not worried about terminal effects much beyond 600/500 for the 6.5/223 18” is better.

Shorter is better, and length is determined by terminal range required.

B23

WKR
I have a new super lite and they're a relatively small diameter barrel at the muzzle. All my cans are DT I'm not sure those skinny barrels will leave enough shoulder.

Screwing a can on those skinny barrels, shorter would likely be better but I've always been told you want to leave at least an inch of none fluted at the muzzle although I've seen some people cut them back well in to the flutes.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The superlite can be threaded into the flutes. @Shooter71

How far are you wanting to kill animals with the 6.5 and 223? It’s just a MV and impact velocity thing. I shoot a significant amount of animals beyond 600 with the Creedmoor therefore generally use 20”, same for the 223 which gets the 77gr TMK to 500+/- for terminal velocity. When I am not worried about terminal effects much beyond 600/500 for the 6.5/223 18” is better.

Shorter is better, and length is determined by terminal range required.

The .223 just gets used for coyotes at the house. Tuesdays was at 150. Farthest would be 400 ish... I'm guessing 16-18" would get me there fine?

The 6.5 would be used for deer and everything up to elk (and maybe even elk eventually). Distances unknown for now. I'm not generally a "long range hunter" but also don't want to needlessly handicap myself by chopping 10" off the barrel...

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I have a new super lite and they're a relatively small diameter barrel at the muzzle. All my cans are DT I'm not sure those skinny barrels will leave enough shoulder.

Screwing a can on those skinny barrels, shorter would likely be better but I've always been told you want to leave at least an inch of none fluted at the muzzle although I've seen some people cut them back well in to the flutes.

I'll measure mine this weekend and double check. Thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The .223 just gets used for coyotes at the house. Tuesdays was at 150. Farthest would be 400 ish... I'm guessing 16-18" would get me there fine?

The 6.5 would be used for deer and everything up to elk (and maybe even elk eventually). Distances unknown for now. I'm not generally a "long range hunter" but also don't want to needlessly handicap myself by chopping 10" off the barrel...

I’d go 18” on 223 and 20” on 6.5cm.

B23

WKR
Just measured my Tikka SuperLite it's .618 at the muzzle and 3/4 inch above the flutes it's .633 and it doesn't really gain much diameter until it's quite a ways back.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just measured my Tikka SuperLite it's .618 at the muzzle and 3/4 inch above the flutes it's .633 and it doesn't really gain much diameter until it's quite a ways back.

They thread fine. Most like to use and adaptor for a shoulder, I have them both ways and they both work.

This might help make your decision easier. My 18.5" T3X 6.5 CM with the area 419 system and Omega gets the following at 1,184' elevation:

147 ELD-M: avg 2,445 fps

143 ELD-X: avg 2,382 fps

Using an impact speed of greater than or equal to 1,800 fps (for both bullets) as my limit, at 1,184' those bullets reliably upset out to 575 yards and 500 yards, respectively.

At 8,000 feet those ranges extend to 775 yards and 625 yards, respectively.

I'd be interested in @Formidilosus poking holes in this. I'm pretty sure my numbers are sound but would like to know if they aren't.

Need to have 2 barrels threaded for a can sometime in the next year and am unsure how I want to establish a new length for them. The 6.5CM is new and I haven't loaded anything up for it yet so I was thinking of getting it cut/threaded soon so that it's done before I start loading/establishing dope, etc. I'm in no rush to chop the 223 down but may just get them done at the same time to be done with it.

Other rifle is a standard T3x lite in .223. Standard length is 22". I shoot this one at the house a bit just for plinking. Would love for it to still fit in my closet w/ the can on there but that would mean cutting it to like 16-17". Any downside other than velocity loss for that? Loading 77gr SMKs over N140 for this one and already have a load I like for the 22" barrel.

I have zero experience w/ shorter barrels and suppressors so figured I'd check in here first. Will likely put an Area 419 universal adapter on each and don't really anticipate using a muzzle brake on either ever.

Thanks
I wouldn't try chopping anything off your fluted barrel, there's a reason the fluting stops 2-3" from the muzzle.
Mess with that and you're going to have a negative effect on the barrels harmonics

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I wouldn't try chopping anything off your fluted barrel, there's a reason the fluting stops 2-3" from the muzzle.
Mess with that and you're going to have a negative effect on the barrels harmonics

Can you share personal experience examples. Thank you.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
This might help make your decision easier. My 18.5" T3X 6.5 CM with the area 419 system and Omega gets the following at 1,184' elevation:

147 ELD-M: avg 2,445 fps

143 ELD-X: avg 2,382 fps

Using an impact speed of greater than or equal to 1,800 fps (for both bullets) as my limit, at 1,184' those bullets reliably upset out to 575 yards and 500 yards, respectively.

At 8,000 feet those ranges extend to 775 yards and 625 yards, respectively.

I'd be interested in @Formidilosus poking holes in this. I'm pretty sure my numbers are sound but would like to know if they aren't.

Can you let me know the overall length that's added by the Area 419 system and the omega?

I have the area 419 adapters, but the smith hasn't got to my stuff yet. Wanting to make sure my .223 still fits in the closet I keep it in. I should be able to right around 18" but I'd hate to be 1/4" long so if you can get that measurement easily that'd be super helpful.

Can you let me know the overall length that's added by the Area 419 system and the omega?

I have the area 419 adapters, but the smith hasn't got to my stuff yet. Wanting to make sure my .223 still fits in the closet I keep it in. I should be able to right around 18" but I'd hate to be 1/4" long so if you can get that measurement easily that'd be super helpful.
I texted TX_Diver earlier but I'll throw it out there in case anyone else can benefit from the info. From the shoulder of the Area 419 mount to the tip of the Omega (with brake) is 7 5/16".