6.5G brass -> 22 ARC - 1 step or 2?

Have a decent sized lot of new, starline 6.5 Grendel brass that is going to be my 22 ARC brass.

There are a few YouTube videos where people do it in one step, but if I already have a 6 ARC die, would there be any advantage to going 6.5G to 6ARC (neck only) to 22ARC? Or should I skip the extra step and go straight from 6.5G to 22ARC in one step?

Have done a lot of 7.62x39 to 6.5G in 1 step and generally a crush ~5% of mixed brass doing it this way, so I guess I’m wondering if I should expect the same if using 1 step for new, unfired brass if I choose to do it all in 1 bigger step

Siv

FNG
I think if you take it the expander out, you can go straight to 22 ARC. Then see if you need to neck turn the brass.

OP
W
Still new to this, so please give me a little slack, but why take the expander ball out?

With AK brass I’ve had better luck leaving it in

Firth

FNG
I have a 224 Predator (22 Grendel variation) and I've necked down 100 lapua 6.5 Grendel and 100 starline 6.5 Grendel in one step, without ruining any cases, using hornady dies. Might depend on the dies/lube you use.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 224 Predator (22 Grendel variation) and I've necked down 100 lapua 6.5 Grendel and 100 starline 6.5 Grendel in one step, without ruining any cases, using hornady dies. Might depend on the dies/lube you use.
When you do this do you end up with a little bulge at the base of the neck just before the shoulder?

OP
W
When you do this do you end up with a little bulge at the base of the neck just before the shoulder?

I sized a batch of 6.5G to 22 and I ended up with a bulge. However, I don’t have a barrel, so I was really trying to not over size. Not really sure if I just didn’t size all the way down the neck or if it bulged

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
I sized a batch of 6.5G to 22 and I ended up with a bulge. However, I don’t have a barrel, so I was really trying to not over size. Not really sure if I just didn’t size all the way down the neck or if it bulged
Im assuming they look like this.
If so it has more to do with sizing down too far in one jump so excess brass gets pushed to the bottom of the neck. These were both 6.5grendel sized down to 22 with hornady 22 arc FL die. I dont have a barrel yet either, but used the go gauge to set my die. Hoping they will chamber and that bulge will go away after firing. We’ll see

Attachments

• IMG_8672.jpeg
    IMG_8672.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
W
That’s exactly what mine looks like. I’m not convinced about the one step though, I did just the neck of 2 with a 6arc die and then to 22 (no pics) and they looked exactly the same as the brass done in one step.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
Oh thats interesting; mine came out perfect when I sized down from 6.5 to 6 grendel then to 22arc. Unfortunately I dont have that 6 grendel die anymore and only sized a handful of cases with it when I briefly messed with that cartridge