6.5prc

Thomas11

WKR
What r the thoughts on this 6.5 prc for elk? And let’s use 800 yds as the furthest range. Does the caliber have what it takes to get the job done “efficiently and cleanly”? I’ve also looked at the 280ai or possibly the 7mm. But I like the idea of having a smaller caliber if it gets the job done. I’m most interested in the Bergara Highlander in either caliber or the seekins havak? The havak isn’t chambered in 280 or 7mm but is in the 6.5 prc. Thanks

FURMAN

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is an awesome cartridge with great factory ammo. It’s super easy to tune and smokes deer sized game. Will it kill elk? Absolutely. However there are much better elk cartridges. Unless you like tracking game in nasty elk country I recommend doing yourself a favor and using a larger caliber. The 30 or 338 are better suited for elk period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is an awesome cartridge with great factory ammo. It’s super easy to tune and smokes deer sized game. Will it kill elk? Absolutely. However there are much better elk cartridges. Unless you like tracking game in nasty elk country I recommend doing yourself a favor and using a larger caliber. The 30 or 338 are better suited for elk period.

I don’t argue with that but I’d like to stay away from the bigger magnum calibers. I know I could be limiting myself here. I would consider the 7mm but don’t really want to get any bigger. Maybe I’m crazy!

FURMAN

WKR
It sounds like you’ve made the decision before posting. In the end only you can decide. I can guarantee if I have an elk tag in my pocket I’ll be carrying a 30 loaded with 215 Bergers until a better bullet comes along.

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
It sounds like you’ve made the decision before posting. In the end only you can decide. I can guarantee if I have an elk tag in my pocket I’ll be carrying a 30 loaded with 215 Bergers until a better bullet comes along.

Well no I haven’t made the decision other than I don’t think I’m going that big, but 7mm isn’t off the table. I would like to deer hunt as well with it. But I do think I’ve narrowed it 6.5prc, 280ai, or 7mm

FURMAN

WKR
Of the choices for elk I’d run a 180 in a 7.

elkguide

WKR
Of those three, I'd settle on the .280AI, just because I like the caliber and don't care for a 7Mag. The 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge and will kill elk but I have a lot more respect for an elk and I do not like long tracking jobs. For me, I hunt elk with a .30 caliber rifle.

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
Of those three, I'd settle on the .280AI, just because I like the caliber and don't care for a 7Mag. The 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge and will kill elk but I have a lot more respect for an elk and I do not like long tracking jobs. For me, I hunt elk with a .30 caliber rifle.
Prolly a lot of truth in that! So the 6.5 prc carries 1300lb of energy w the 143gr elds at 700 yds vs the 300 win mag having 1565lb of energy w 200 gr elds at 700 yds. That doesn’t seem substantial but maybe I’m off, especially considering the weight diff in the gun, barrel length, recoil etc? The 280ai is very comparable to the 6.5 prc w same numbers at that distance

Prolly a lot of truth in that! So the 6.5 prc carries 1300lb of energy w the 143gr elds at 700 yds vs the 300 win mag having 1565lb of energy w 200 gr elds at 700 yds. That doesn’t seem substantial but maybe I’m off, especially considering the weight diff in the gun, barrel length, recoil etc? The 280ai is very comparable to the 6.5 prc w same numbers at that distance

Last winmag I built using 215’s @ 2950fps is pushing 2212ft lbs at 700 yards. A 6.5PRC pushing 147’s at 3000fps is at 1557 ft lbs same conditions. Both are loaded hot with 26” barrels and good brass.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
Last winmag I built using 215’s @ 2950fps is pushing 2212ft lbs at 700 yards. A 6.5PRC pushing 147’s at 3000fps is at 1557 ft lbs same conditions. Both are loaded hot with 26” barrels and good brass.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike, Yes. This is assuming 24” bbl and Hornady’s ballistics from their tables. I don’t reload. But more importantly what r your thoughts on this PRC at that distance w that type of energy in the 1300-1500 range? For elk. Idk I really just don’t want a bigger magnum gun like a 300 but I also understand I need enough gun for the job! So I’m just thinkin thru it all. But I do value all the diff opinions and thoughts. Thanks guys!

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
Also I see u can get the 143 x or 147m in this 6.5 prc from Hornady. Is there a big diff in why one shouldn’t use the 147’s because I guess they r match and/or have a diff core vs the eldx

Tahr

FNG
Killing is not just about foot pounds of energy. The expanded frontal area of the projectile and the resulting wound channel and trauma counts for a lot. It makes the .30 cal very effective.

Mike, Yes. This is assuming 24” bbl and Hornady’s ballistics from their tables. I don’t reload. But more importantly what r your thoughts on this PRC at that distance w that type of energy in the 1300-1500 range? For elk. Idk I really just don’t want a bigger magnum gun like a 300 but I also understand I need enough gun for the job! So I’m just thinkin thru it all. But I do value all the diff opinions and thoughts. Thanks guys!

Ah Gotcha. For an elk hunt, it wouldn't be an option for me at 700 yards... But you're also talking to a guy that hunts pretty much everything with 300 grain bullets....

Mike

OP
T

Thomas11

WKR
Killing is not just about foot pounds of energy. The expanded frontal area of the projectile and the resulting wound channel and trauma counts for a lot. It makes the .30 cal very effective.
True
Ah Gotcha. For an elk hunt, it wouldn't be an option for me at 700 yards... But you're also talking to a guy that hunts pretty much everything with 300 grain bullets....

Mike
yea lol not sure we are going to find a happy medium on this one! Dear lord that’s a big bullet!

yea lol not sure we are going to find a happy medium on this one! Dear lord that’s a big bullet!

A 7 Mag pushing 180 bergers is something I'd consider for you... not near the recoil of a 300 Win pushing 215's and it'll kill elk at 700 yards all day long.

Killing animals with 300 grain bullets is severely underrated, I suggest everyone try it as much as possible :)

Mike