6.5s for Elk

dotman

WKR
There's a very high likelihood a 6.5 Hipster is going to find its way into my gun cabinet very soon. I plan on shooting the 127 grain LRX out of it, and won't hesitate a second to shoot elk with it. Even at 500 yards it's still over 1900 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning to rechamber my Forbes 270win to a 6.5x284. Just something about having a 6.5 :)

EastMT

WKR
6.5 is a great round but if you are not shooting 400+ yards use a solid bullet, partition 140, Barnes etc. I used Long range accubond on a Kodiak goat last year and performance at 400 was horrible and explosive, almost zero penetration, I was very lucky to get a second chance. There is a thread on here somewhere of 2 dall sheep with same experience at 150, 430 yards out of kimber 6.5 MA. There is a huge difference in accubond and long range accubond, I didn't realize that when I bought the bullets. Now load partitions as BC really isn't important to me as 400 is my personal max at an animal.

You got that right shooter. Don't worry about the diamond encrusted bullets and just shoot them where it counts and about any will do.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

OP
Hornseeker
kimber .260......

IMG_1296.jpg

DRT? How was penetration and such? Close range?

You have to have a good bullet and bullet technology has come along ways. I like partitions, but to each his own. Your bullet needs to match your game and velocity. One size does not fit all. Long range bullets explode at short range and tsx just punch through and
Don't expand at short range. Pick the right bullet and place it where it needs to be. People place too much faith in magnums and the magic they have.....great marketing. They think the magnum makes up for their crap shooting skills.

OP
Hornseeker
I forgot all about Karamojo Bell!! That's it, 6.5 all the way!!

I will say it is a hard choice for me, still. Been going back and forth, back and forth.... 6.5 CM? 7-08? 308...!?

All three do fine for any game at the ranges I'll be shooting. Can I reload the 6.5 cheaper than the 308? The recoil will be less, which doesn't hurt my feelings.

Fun stuff!

308 is the cheapest option by far. I've had all 3 and recoil is negligible in all of them. Sooo much goes into felt recoil.....stock dimensions, cartridge, bullet weight, powder burn rate and the list goes on. As far as hunting goes recoil is a non issue. How many rounds to you use? It isn't competition where you shoot hundreds in a session.....atleast I hope not. 6.5 has the best sd and there are more and better bullets available all the time. If you want one....get one....no shame in that. Don't be roped into the magnum guilt trip.....you will be just fine. So you might have to aim a few inches higher.....big deal.

The only big drawback to the 6.5s is the lack of brass. Only 3 people make brass for the cm that I know of. Remember it is a competition cartridge and price will reflect it. Unlike the 308 where you can buy surplus components and shoot dirt cheap.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
was it drt?

Nope. We watched her stand there for a bit and didn't think she was hit. Then she started walking off and could see her stumble a bit, then she finally went down but we had to search for her. And we're talking about a whitetail doe that I could throw over my shoulders and carry out. This was the first hunting shot from this gun, so impressions matter. I'm used to having two holes from a rifle shot.

I also shot a small buck at the same time and distance with my 7mag and for the first time tried the Berger bullets. Not a fan of fragmenting bullets now. At least the ELD-X didn't fragment.....it just separated, which I also don't care for.

OP
Hornseeker
I'm not a magnum junkie and will never fall into that ditch. I've shot 30-06 since I was 14. 34 years now... ugh. It's what my dad shot and you couldn't have convinced me there was anything better! And, there really isn't, but I'm craving a short action and even though 06' recoil doesn't bother me, i feel like the 6.5 is probably much much less. Whatever.

As far as components, I was thinking mostly about using less powder and smaller bullets being less expensive, very marginally of course. If I bought the CM, I'd likely buy 10-15 boxes of good factory ammo, then start reloading as brass became available from that lot!

Yeah, I should just get one and start shooting elk and deer with it!!

Thanks again for all the discussion!

The only big drawback to the 6.5s is the lack of brass. Only 3 people make brass for the cm that I know of. Remember it is a competition cartridge and price will reflect it. Unlike the 308 where you can buy surplus components and shoot dirt cheap.

Off the top of my head, you can buy 6.5 Creedmoor ammo from Winchester, hornady, prime, norma, nosler, federal (and American Eagle). And brass from LAPUA, hornady, norma, nosler, and alpha munitions. It's not a 308 or 30/06 but nothing is, cost and availability are no enemy of the creedmoor.

Off the top of my head, you can buy 6.5 Creedmoor ammo from Winchester, hornady, prime, norma, nosler, federal (and American Eagle). And brass from LAPUA, hornady, norma, nosler, and alpha munitions. It's not a 308 or 30/06 but nothing is, cost and availability are no enemy of the creedmoor.

100% agree.

I bought a .260 because I could get Lapua brass. Now that the same is an option for the 6.5 Creedmoor, that'll likely be my next chambering when this barrel starts to go.

jm1607

WKR
It's also nice that Lapua CM brass isn't hard to find. I preordered some a few weeks ago and it's already showed up. Thought it would take alot longer!

cowboy300

WKR
260 and the 6.5 Creede will kill elk just fine out to your 450yd limit. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference on game out to 400yds between 260, 7-08, 308, 270, 280, 30-06 etc. Just dont get caught up in thinking elk are armored tanks and you have to use ultra premium bullets (especially in the slower rounds) to kill them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm craving a short action and even though 06' recoil doesn't bother me, i feel like the 6.5 is probably much much less.

Actually, I was surprised when I first shot my 6.5 CM. It has more recoil than I expected, and it even has a brake. It feels more like what I would have expected without a brake.

GKPrice

Banned
I forgot all about Karamojo Bell!! That's it, 6.5 all the way!!

I will say it is a hard choice for me, still. Been going back and forth, back and forth.... 6.5 CM? 7-08? 308...!?

All three do fine for any game at the ranges I'll be shooting. Can I reload the 6.5 cheaper than the 308? The recoil will be less, which doesn't hurt my feelings.

Fun stuff!

it IS all fun ! nothing at all wrong with the 6.5 CM, I'd bet that the design of the case will give a slight edge to barrel life since it came to life as a match round, probably not a lot of added life but THAT matters to some - for the amount I personally shoot I would have taken either 260 or CM if/when either showed up in a Tikka SL, it appears that the CM will be my next SL and I'm very anxious to have it in hand to shoot/hunt -
IMPO comparing a 260 or CM to a 6.5/'06 or 6.5 / 284 or any of the other "fast" 6.5's is kinda like comparing a 308 to a 300 Win Mag -
As far as "premium" bullets go, TTsx / Accubond / Partition / GMX / Etip / would be considered that and they'll have pretty good close vs. far terminal performance - there's a buttload of R&D that is expended on that by bullet companies in this day and age

GKPrice

Banned
Actually, I was surprised when I first shot my 6.5 CM. It has more recoil than I expected, and it even has a brake. It feels more like what I would have expected without a brake.

did you change out the recoil pad for a good one too ? who's design is your brake ? in Kimber Hunter (out of box) I recently shot 30.06 and CM in the same range session and there was a marked difference for me (no brakes involved)

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Felt recoil will have a lot to do with the weight of the gun. I don't like using a break and lightweight guns beat the crap out of you. Also, it is much harder to hold a light weight gun steady and for me I am unable to consistently maintain the precision the gun is capable of with an ultralight gun unless it is in a lead sled on a bench. Not a big deal if I was only shooting 200 yards. I would much rather carry the extra weight to be able to extend my lethal range by 5x and not having it beat the snot out of me every time I pull the trigger. This is why I personally will never own any of the ultra light weight guns I see a lot of the guys on this sight talking about. I cut weight on everything but my rifle. The few pounds of extra weight gives me piece of mind that I can confidently take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself.