6.5x284 127gr LRX Retumbo or H4831sc?

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Relatively new to reloading but worked up a load using the OCW method with 140 gr VLD hunting using 57.5 gr retumbo and CCI BR2’s and Im really happy with it.

I want to work one up using the same method with 127 gr LRX’s. I have more retumbo than 4831sc and with how impossible everything is to get right now I’d love to use the retumbo as well but the lighter weight bullet has me questioning that.. does anyone have any load data for that bullet with retumbo?

Also, the limited info I have found about that combo have most people shooting magnum primers. I’m stuck with CCI BR2 for the foreseeable future. Hell the primers are even harder to find than the powder... would I be handicapping myself with the regular primers vs magnum with that slower powder?

B23

WKR
With that light of a bullet your going to be using a fair bit more powder and Retumbo is some bulky shit so unless you were really stretching those 127's out to where they are just barely in the case I'm not sure you could get enough Retumbo in there and 4831 with those 127's will likely be the better choice. If you could maybe get your hands on some RL26, N565 or N555 those would make your 6.5-284 sizzle but they're not easy to get. Is your 6.5-284 in a shor or long action?

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Well that’s good to know. There was a nice little crunch from what I remember when seating the VLD’s.

I built on a “long action” tikka but the freebore in the barrel must not be all that much. With a .1 jump to the lands Im seating the LRX with both driving bands covered by the case neck. At least that’s my calculation for where the lands are but honestly I get different-ish numbers every time I measure it haha.

WKR
H4831 should be great. Let us know how it goes. I personally have had such universally great luck with 140 vld, I'd have a hard time changing.

TX_Diver

WKR
You could probably trade the retumbo for whatever you want (including a house) if you wanted to use something different.

seems to be one of the extra high demand powders

204guy

WKR
^^^ Yeah I wouldn't burn up retumbo just because. Retumbo is unobtainable, I've seen 4831 variants available in the last couple days.

TX_Diver

WKR
^^^ Yeah I wouldn't burn up retumbo just because. Retumbo is unobtainable, I've seen 4831 variants available in the last couple days.

H4831 was available for almost an hour on Monday on one site

B23

WKR
You could probably trade the retumbo for whatever you want (including a house) if you wanted to use something different.

seems to be one of the extra high demand powders
That's no joke, just look on gunbroker sheesh crazy friggen prices!

OP
M

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you all finding the 4831? I signed up for discord but must not be paying too much attention to it or just flat out missing it...

TX_Diver

WKR
Powdervalley had H4831 a few days ago.

It stayed in stock longer than some of the others.

7wssm

FNG
RL26 is a great versatile powder, you can load a broad range of bullet weights. My go to for variety of cartridges. H4831 is as well for the lighter stuff.