6.5x284 barrel preferences

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the process of putting together a custom 6.5 Norma, was thinking about putting a Hart 8” twist 26” pipe on it to shoot pretty much exclusively 140 VLD’s. I saw the option for 6 or 5 grooves for rifling, and was wondering what would be the best option here? I was thinking the 5, since I have a .308 with a 20” 5r barrel that can go sub moa, but I wasn’t sure if the 6.5 would behave the same
or not at distance.
Also, was thinking about doing the Remington varmint contour, but just curious to see what other 6.5 Norma guys are running.

26" Rem Varmint won't be light-- you aiming for a hunting rifle or more towards target and static hunting?

Love the cartridge, had two, both were 24", one was 1-8 and the other was a gain twist up to 8- both shot 130s and 140s very well (Amax and NABs). Their profiles were a good bit smaller than a Rem Varmint but they were hunting guns.

OP
Hmr

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Weight really isn’t a factor for me, used to humping heavy stuff around. Also I’d rather deal with the little extra weight to be better off at extended ranges, and for a follow up if needed. Did you have 5 or 6 groove rifling?

I’d ask the gunsmith.

There is a lot more to grooves than just the number. One thing to consider is that even number grooves can be harder on bullet jackets than odd #s because the lands directly oppose each other on evens.

I’d go with the gunsmiths recommendation but initial thought is probably the 5 groove.