6.5x284 off 308 action?

CO2130

WKR
I’ve got an extra weatherby vanguard stainless action that just sits around. It’s a factory .308 win. I’ve been trying to figure out what to rechamber it to. For reference I want a lightweight hunting rifle, will have a carbon6 barrel, it will be used mainly for mule deer and antelope with occasional close range elk hunts for people more sensitive to recoil. I already have a lightweight 7 RM and would like a 6.5 of some type and someday will build a .338 also. I’m highly leaning towards the 6.5x284 Norma, and shooting the HSM trophy gold ammo with the Berger 140 VLD’s as they always shoot and perform great in my other rifles. I may go to a custom loader like unknown munitions or something at some point. It’s always been a cartridge that’s interested me. I don’t want a creedmoor as I have one in the safe already among other reasons, and I don’t want to go to PRC due to it being a magnum bolt face. Would I have any issues running a factory loaded ammo with the 140gr VLD’s on this action? Is there any other cartridge I should consider? Thanks for any info or pointers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
I would find out for sure if that ammo will feed in a true short action. Looks like the bullet is stuffed down pretty far, so good chance it will. Only problem is this, VLD's are jump sensitive, and if your rifle doesn't like that factory ammo, your out of luck. Personally, I wouldn't do a 6.5-284 on a short action.

This post has a decent breakdown of common cartridges for the different actions.

If you want 6.5x284 do it. Dont like it, you can always buy a different barrel with a different caliber.

OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
Thanks for the first few quick responses. I’ll try to do some more research into what the COAL of some of the factory offerings are and what max COAL is in that action. I should have also mentioned that I do plan on reloading someday, just not in the foreseeable future. And I should also add that I am considering either this action in the XLR magnesium chassis or building off of a tikka action (which is what my 7rm is built off) and putting that in the same chassis or a McMillan game hunter. I would like to use the vanguard action though if possible as I already have it on hand and have no plans to shoot it in it’s current configuration.

ID_Matt

WKR
c85dbe248d0ac704ddbdf6ce037d3c7e.jpg

Right side is a 6.5-284 built off of what was a tikka 308 action and with a carbon six 20”. As others have said, it all depends on your coal you can fit in that weatherby action. The 6.5-284 really only shines when you can load it longer than what a true short action is limited to.

jonboatjockey

Lil-Rokslider
I have two 6.5X284’s, one custom and one savage. Both long actions, and wouldn’t have it any other way. Short actions do not allow for the cartridge to really shine due to bullet seating depth/mag box issues. I’m not really familiar with the weatherby’s but If you can open up the bolt face to a mag you can go 6.5 PRC