6.8 western load development

Hey y’all,
I’ve decided I’m going to load the 148g Hammer Hunter, I just need to figure out which powder I’m going to use now. Looking on Hogdon reloading, The powders that would give me the most velocity are
- Accurate MAGPRO
- Hogdon H1000
- Hogdon Hybrid100V
- Ramshot Magnum
- Hogdon Superform
- Hogdon Retumbo
- Hogdon H4831
- IMR 8133
- IMR 4350
- IMR 4995
- WIN StaBALL 6.5

I’m pretty new to reloading so I don’t necessarily know which would be the best. Of these powders, which are temperature stable? Just looking for thoughts/opinions on the best powder to use.
Thanks!

A382DWDZQ

WKR
The IMR endurons are temp insensitive, 8133 & 4995. StaBALL6.5 is temp insensitive, so is H1000. Superformance should be ok. Retumbo is an extreme, so should be good. H4831 I think is a little sensitive, on a scale of 1-10, maybe 3 or 4.

IMR4350 and MagPro are sensitive to temp.

Latest Hammertime load data for the 6.8 has one entry using H4350, and that handles temp well.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Couple other thought…the article in the 2022 Hodgdon manual on the 6.8 has the best results with MagPro. I think with the HH, powder density might be a consideration too.

Termite

FNG
I have emailed all the major top brass manufacturers asking if they plan to start making 6.8 Western brass. I have gotten a hard no from everyone except Lapua. They said if there is enough interest that they would possibly start manufacturing it. If this interests would you mind sending them an email at the below link? Thanks!!

Termite

FNG
I bought some of the Winchester brass. I just found that they vary in weight and case neck thickness. Nothing too crazy but the brass I have bought in the past from Lapua is pretty dang consistent.

Undeg01

FNG
You can check out my thread here, but Ramshot Magnum has given me the greatest success. High velocity and extreme accuracy. Magpro comes in second.

Termite

FNG
So I finally loaded some rounds with H4831sc. I used 165gr ABLR with Federal gold magnum primers. At max charge of 55.8 I only achieved 2756 fps. That’s with a 24” barrel 1:8.4 twist and Hellfire brake. I’m working on a YouTube video to give more info but wanted to post here first to get info out. I didn’t focus on accuracy. I was able to order some Magpro. Couldn’t find Ramshot Magnum in stock. But if anyone is in DFW Texas area. I have some H4831SC to trade for RS Magnum. Lol.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I recently was told by Hornady they will not ever support the 6.8 Western, Federal has said they might if the market calls for it. As of right now, Winchester/Browning is the only supplier of brass.