6.8 Western?

Comerade

FNG
It is just marketing, nobody must have a Fury, Westerner etc.
Life these days have us being assaulted by all this new, useless information, imo.
Hunting is ridiculously simple for me, pick up an old , mountain beaten rifle, shoulder a pack and head up the mountain. The more simple things are- the better. My little old opinion, folks

WKR
It is just marketing, nobody must have a Fury, Westerner etc.
Life these days have us being assaulted by all this new, useless information, imo.
Hunting is ridiculously simple for me, pick up an old , mountain beaten rifle, shoulder a pack and head up the mountain. The more simple things are- the better. My little old opinion, folks
Then why are you on Rokslide.com?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't get why the "marketing" always gets brought up...

The 6.8 Western cartridge does something new for people looking at factory options to shoit long range. Look at the numbers and options. There is nothing like it, and it is marginally bigger than the 6.5 prc, shoots high bc bullets, fast twist factory barrels, etc.

At one time, the 30-06, .308, .243, .270, etc. were all new and marginal improvements over what existed at the time. We would be shooting 30-30, 300 Savage, etc without marginally new designs, marketing and/or the military. Its also a big reason why the 6mm rem, .260, .222 rem, etc are beat out by their similar cousins.

As if the 6.5 creedmoor was all about marketing by Hornady and the Creedmoor boys...

By their nature, new factory "long range" options are a tweak of existing to make cases and barrels that shoot the high bc bullets.

Whether the round is adopted widely or not is another animal. But, good marketing is one component of making a cartridge go mainstream.

Billinsd

WKR
Everything is driven by marketing and profit to a certain degree. It's overwhelming at times. I embrace it remembering what was available in the 70s and 90s. However, I'm glancing down at all the new innovations from 5,000 feet, infrequently flying down to the ground for a closer look. Balance is everything. I'm intrigued by the 6.8, because it's a short action and a bit lighter than a long action, like my 7mm Rem Mag. Cheers Bill

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Everything is driven by marketing and profit to a certain degree. It's overwhelming at times. I embrace it remembering what was available in the 70s and 90s. However, I'm glancing down at all the new innovations from 5,000 feet, infrequently flying down to the ground for a closer look. Balance is everything. I'm intrigued by the 6.8, because it's a short action and a bit lighter than a long action, like my 7mm Rem Mag. Cheers Bill
I'm a newb, at first i was super excited about the 6.8w, but then as i looked closer, the 7mm rem mag had very similar velocity, drop, bullet weight.
But the 7mm rem mag has a bit more powder/recoil, larger bore, but WAY MORE AMMO OPTIONS.

Then i compared 6.8w with the 280AI. the 280AI has similar BC, velocity, drop, bullet grains but 14 grain less powder and more factory loadings, and is a larger bore.

So if I wanted a new rifle, I would also be looking at 280AI and 7rem mag, I know I am.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a newb, at first i was super excited about the 6.8w, but then as i looked closer, the 7mm rem mag had very similar velocity, drop, bullet weight.
But the 7mm rem mag has a bit more powder/recoil, larger bore, but WAY MORE AMMO OPTIONS.

Then i compared 6.8w with the 280AI. the 280AI has similar BC, velocity, drop, bullet grains but 14 grain less powder and more factory loadings, and is a larger bore.

So if I wanted a new rifle, I would also be looking at 280AI and 7rem mag, I know I am.
Look at the 7 saum as well, if you are looking at the 280 ai. If a guy handloads, the 6.8 Western is not a bad choice with new bullets coming out. If it dies, guys buying loaded ammo will be stuck with it. But, I think it will probably have support and be like the Weatherby stuff, never huge, but supported.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the 7 saum as well, if you are looking at the 280 ai. If a guy handloads, the 6.8 Western is not a bad choice with new bullets coming out. If it dies, guys buying loaded ammo will be stuck with it. But, I think it will probably have support and be like the Weatherby stuff, never huge, but supported.
Cool, I'll look at the 7 saum too.

drchesler

FNG
You’ve got me curious. Why the SAUM over the WSM?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider

FWIW, the 280AI only has about 4 grains less powder at max charges than the 6.8 Western. Though a great cartridge, the 280 AI is not going to match the 6.8 with the bullet weights its designed around, it just doesn't have the case capacity of the Western. The 280AI's wheelhouse is the 140 to 160 grains, just like the 7 SAUM or a 280 Remington unless you have a custom gun chambered for longer throats. Since your just getting into the sport, and if your only going to be using factory ammunition, in 7 mag, there are many more bullet weight & style offerings. You won't notice a difference in recoil between a 7 mag and 6.8 Western in factory offerings, there essentially using the same powder charge & bullet weights. The 6.8 Western's factory options may be just a little better than a 7 mags. Manufacturers tend to load the 7 mag in its lower range, hence the reason the marketing for the 6.8 is advertising that its 'better' than a 7 mag. That all goes away with reloading the 7 mag for your rifle. I'm loading a 160 accubond at 3050, that delivers more energy than the 6.8 does with the 165 at 500 yds with its factory offering, with 64 grains of powder, the same charge that's in the 6.8 Western. Toma'toe'....Toma'tah'....pick a gun you like and go have fun.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You’ve got me curious. Why the SAUM over the WSM?
WSM too.

You can run the 168 vld in a short action and get them at or over 3000 if you reload. Great brass is now available. Uses less powder than a 7 mag for the same thing. The 280ai is nice, but it isn't fonna stretch its legs past 500 like a 7 mag will.

The WSM is more over bore, and IMO you get diminishing returns as you get the crazy overbore cartridges.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FWIW, the 280AI only has about 4 grains less powder at max charges than the 6.8 Western. Though a great cartridge, the 280 AI is not going to match the 6.8 with the bullet weights its designed around, it just doesn't have the case capacity of the Western. The 280AI's wheelhouse is the 140 to 160 grains, just like the 7 SAUM or a 280 Remington unless you have a custom gun chambered for longer throats. Since your just getting into the sport, and if your only going to be using factory ammunition, in 7 mag, there are many more bullet weight & style offerings. You won't notice a difference in recoil between a 7 mag and 6.8 Western in factory offerings, there essentially using the same powder charge & bullet weights. The 6.8 Western's factory options may be just a little better than a 7 mags. Manufacturers tend to load the 7 mag in its lower range, hence the reason the marketing for the 6.8 is advertising that its 'better' than a 7 mag. That all goes away with reloading the 7 mag for your rifle. I'm loading a 160 accubond at 3050, that delivers more energy than the 6.8 does with the 165 at 500 yds with its factory offering, with 64 grains of powder, the same charge that's in the 6.8 Western. Toma'toe'....Toma'tah'....pick a gun you like and go have fun.
Right on all points...

Gotta distinguish between factory and custom, both ammo and chambers.

I am loading a 180 vld in a 7 Sherman Short Mag at 3050, in a true short action, with only 60.5 grains of powder.

I can load the same 180 vld in my buddy's 7 rem mag at 3000 fps with 68.5ish grains of powder.

Apples to oranges between factory 7 rem mag and 7 rem custom.

Inside 500, with modern ballistic solvers, the 7-08 and .308 are plenty. The 6.8 western does is better from the factory, and reaches further. It also increases the danger space, so errors in ranging, wind, elevation etc. are less exaggerated.

The thing with the 6.8 Western is in FACTORY ammo it puts a very good long range bullet into a big case AND the FACTORY rifle is throated for the long bullet and has the right twist rate.

Other than 6.5 cm, 6.5 prc, 300 prc-- there aren't really any SAMMI spec factory supported cartridges designed for long range out of the box that are widely known. Nosler kinda did it, but it will never be a widely adopted, its kinda niche, but Weatherby has some new stuff I think.

I just wish the 7mm wsm was more widely adopted and had more (any?) factory rifles chambered for it. I’m just getting into reloading and keep floating back to the 7mm family of cartridges. The thought of starting reloading with a belted magnum isn’t totally desirable, but finding a good factory rifle in the wsm or saum family is damned near impossible.

I decided a while ago that I didn’t want to go the 6.5 PRC route simply because I could hunt elk with the new rifle and I never want to be in a situation where I needed more gun, but the 6.8 western has moved into the discussion simply due to its improvements over the 270 wsm design and being closer to a 7mm diameter.

I think I need to just buy multiple rifles...

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Once the bullets they're using in the 6.8 factory loads are available, will handloaders just throw these in 270wsm cases with faster twist barrels?

Ratbeetle

WKR
It's certainly not earth shattering, but I'm going to give it serious look. I'd like to add another rifle to the stable and I'm not already invested in something too similar. I reload but I'm not really interested in a custom or semi custom rifle with an oddball chambering. This seems to fill an interesting niche for me in a factory rifle. At this point, it's either a 280AI or the new 6.8 for me.

Granted both are completely unnecessary for me as I like to keep shots under 400 yards and my 308 works just fine for that, but new rifles are cool.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I just wish the 7mm wsm was more widely adopted and had more (any?) factory rifles chambered for it. I’m just getting into reloading and keep floating back to the 7mm family of cartridges. The thought of starting reloading with a belted magnum isn’t totally desirable, but finding a good factory rifle in the wsm or saum family is damned near impossible.

I decided a while ago that I didn’t want to go the 6.5 PRC route simply because I could hunt elk with the new rifle and I never want to be in a situation where I needed more gun, but the 6.8 western has moved into the discussion simply due to its improvements over the 270 wsm design and being closer to a 7mm diameter.

I think I need to just buy multiple rifles...
Did they make the 270wsm case shorter to make it better, or to make it just different enough that people wouldn't use the 6.8w cartridges in a 270wsm, with slower twist barrels?

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
poop, you are right. i was looking at the case capacity. lots more rifles chambered in 7mm rem mag than 280ai. i'll add that to my list to research. Thanks!

1611423169030.png

1611423203385.png

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
If anyone is thinking about this round here is your chance to buy ammo. Too rich out the gates for my blood.