6.8 Western?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Once the bullets they're using in the 6.8 factory loads are available, will handloaders just throw these in 270wsm cases with faster twist barrels?
I'm sure someone will or has already for the 170 Berger. But, if they only have an OEM length short action those bullets will protrude a long ways into the case to fit the magazine and/or throat. To take full advantage of the wsm case length and these long .277 bullets, your most likely going to need to custom build one on a standard length action or other proprietary 'medium' action. You'll be $2500 into it with basic components. Or you can just decide if you like browning x-bolt or winchester M70 better and buy a 7 mag or 6.8 western in that $1200 range.

Did they make the 270wsm case shorter to make it better, or to make it just different enough that people wouldn't use the 6.8w cartridges in a 270wsm, with slower twist barrels?

Shorter overall case length than the 270 wsm- makes it possible to seat long, high bc bullets that require the faster twist barrels

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure someone will or has already for the 170 Berger. But, if they only have an OEM length short action those bullets will protrude a long ways into the case to fit the magazine and/or throat. To take full advantage of the wsm case length and these long .277 bullets, your most likely going to need to custom build one on a standard length action or other proprietary 'medium' action. You'll be $2500 into it with basic components. Or you can just decide if you like browning x-bolt or winchester M70 better and buy a 7 mag or 6.8 western in that $1200 range.
ahh, that's right. Except if you use a Tikka T3x which all use standard length action I believe. I think you just need a standard length magazine and then can use longer catridge in the 270wsm.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
All these “new” and rediscovered Wildcats in the last two years motivates me to build a 7 mag 🤷‍♂️. I don’t need the best mix of recoil and ballistics. I’m just gonna go straight overkill with a muzzle break.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
All these “new” and rediscovered Wildcats in the last two years motivates me to build a 7 mag 🤷‍♂️. I don’t need the best mix of recoil and ballistics. I’m just gonna go straight overkill with a muzzle break.
the 7mag wont have that much more recoil than the 6.8w from what others have pointed out.

djauofd

FNG
What a great idea. Except they did that 50 years ago with s 284 Win. I already have a 284 win . Put it in a long action so I can load the 180 - 190 class bullets long. You could keep it short action and load out 168’s. But 197 SMK 3.4”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk