6.8 Western?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SAMMI max coal is 2.955”, so not compatible with rem mag box.

I not aware of current factory rifles in 7 SAUM so the canibalizing would be in custom rifles. The availability of factory ammo definitely helps the 6.8s case, if it ever comes back in stock at least.
Accurate SAUM mags are 2.95 long. Custom rifles with factory ammo will be a possible draw to it.

We all know marketing plays a huge role to really push a good cartridge. Because it fills a new niche for long range hunting cartridge. It can succeed if done right. Hornady makes it big but also gets detractors... the Western can be marketed successfully to the "anti-creedmoor" crowd.

WKR
Accurate SAUM mags are 2.95 long. Custom rifles with factory ammo will be a possible draw to it.

We all know marketing plays a huge role to really push a good cartridge. Because it fills a new niche for long range hunting cartridge. It can succeed if done right. Hornady makes it big but also gets detractors... the Western can be marketed successfully to the "anti-creedmoor" crowd.
But isn't it actually just a bigger creedmoor built along the same principles but 30% bigger?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But isn't it actually just a bigger creedmoor built along the same principles but 30% bigger?
But, its not a "creedmoor" or "prc". That's my point at least. There is nothing wrong with creedmoor at all, except the "fanboi" that make some people hate it for that reason alone. The cartridge is actually just a tool...

tdhanses

WKR
My 270wsm was slinging 170gr Berger’s at 3,040ft/s, don’t see how this will change anything in the .277 world.

Comerade

FNG
I don't really get this either.
The .270 WCF cannot be equalled and marketing people have been trying for nearly 100 years. It is just marketing.
I clock 3040 fps / 150 grain bullet/ 22" barrel....just go to the Alliant powders.
It might be interesting to fast twist the WCF, WSM or the Weatherby to see what you get. For me, it is just reading material though

WKR
But, its not a "creedmoor" or "prc". That's my point at least. There is nothing wrong with creedmoor at all, except the "fanboi" that make some people hate it for that reason alone. The cartridge is actually just a tool...
My point is that the Western has the same qualities that made the cm successful, just with 30% (or some amount) more power. Heavier, high bc bullets, faster twist in factory rifles, less powder burned and subsequent recoil. Those characteristics are consistent between the 6.8 Western and 6.5 Creedmoor, correct?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My point is that the Western has the same qualities that made the cm successful, just with 30% (or some amount) more power. Heavier, high bc bullets, faster twist in factory rifles, less powder burned and subsequent recoil. Those characteristics are consistent between the 6.8 Western and 6.5 Creedmoor, correct?
We don't disagree. My point was about design and the effect of successful marketing.

It is designed out of the box for high bc bullets, like the 6.5 cm, 6 cm, 6.4 prc, and 300 prc.

The 6.5 prc and the 6.8 Western are more alike in case size, and yes western and 6.5 prc are basically proportionally longer.

Reactions: 307

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I like my 270 WSM and so far has killed everything that I have shot. I see an answer to a question that nobody ask. If someone wants to use the heavier bullets spin a new barrel on the WSM and speed the twist up.
for a non-hand-loader, the 6.8 Western will be easier to get into shooting than a 270wsm rebarreled to faster twist, then start learning how to handload 270wsm brass......I may be in the minority, but i've been looking for this since I started looking 2 months ago to upgrade my 1990s BAR270.

Last edited:

ETtikka

WKR
This round makes perfect sense on paper and has been designed to perform obviously, BUT will I be able to buy ammo? Before COVID it was hard to get decent 6.5cm for less than 1.50$/rd, I would imagine this ammo will be 2-2.50$ per round

WKR
I just looked yesterday at a place that had similar ammo for the 6.5c and the 6.8W, the 6.8W was actually cheaper by a nickel or so per round than the 6.5c.

Whether this is just due to the current climate of ammo or reflects pricing in the future is something I cannot answer.

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked yesterday at a place that had similar ammo for the 6.5c and the 6.8W, the 6.8W was actually cheaper by a nickel or so per round than the 6.5c.

Whether this is just due to the current climate of ammo or reflects pricing in the future is something I cannot answer.
You know of a place that has 6.8W in stock?

WCB

WKR

I would guess it could be an introductory price. Once it gets a little established the price will probably climb a little. Fairly common.

I could be wrong though...