6 ARC Tikka

Antares

WKR
Ever since the 6mm ARC came out I've been stuck on the idea of building one as a bolt gun trainer, specifically on a Tikka action. It would also be used as a deer rifle for new shooters (small deer, sitka blacktails). The ballistics look great.

Is a .223 a better choice here? If so, why?

As far as a Tikka goes, what bolt face would you need to start with if you were rebarreling to 6mm, standard right? I think there are three options, .223, standard, and magnum, correct?

Before anyone brings up the 6.5 Grendel comparison, I don't reload and I'm hoping the 6 ARC gets popular enough to make ammo plentiful and cheap. For the sake of this conversation, let's assume the current ammo hoarding/scalping is over; ammo is once again available and reasonably priced.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else considering something like this?

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
The .473 standard bolt face is too big. It might work most of the time, but you'll more than likely have extraction issues, especially if using hot loads. The Grendel case has a 0.442 rim diameter. I can't imagine it will feed all that great either. You'd be better off with a 6 Creedmoor IMO.

-- Scott

Spoonbill

WKR
Ever since the 6mm ARC came out I've been stuck on the idea of building one as a bolt gun trainer, specifically on a Tikka action. It would also be used as a deer rifle for new shooters (small deer, sitka blacktails). The ballistics look great.

As far as a Tikka goes, what bolt face would you need to start with if you were rebarreling to 6mm, standard right? I think there are three options, .223, standard, and magnum, correct?

Before anyone brings up the 6.5 Grendel comparison, I don't reload and I'm hoping the 6 ARC gets popular enough to make ammo plentiful and cheap. For the sake of this conversation, let's assume the current ammo hoarding/scalping is over; ammo is once again available and reasonably priced.

I think in order to build on a tikka, you would need to start with a 223 bolt and open it up for the arc. Then i imagine there might be a magazine issue. This is all speculation.
You can rebarrel/ use an action meant for the 7.62x39. Howa, CZ and Ruger are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.
I think the idea is great btw, I wouldn’t he surprised to see a production bolt gun come out soon.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I think in order to build on a tikka, you would need to start with a 223 bolt and open it up for the arc. Then i imagine there might be a magazine issue. This is all speculation.
You can rebarrel/ use an action meant for the 7.62x39. Howa, CZ and Ruger are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.
I think the idea is great btw, I wouldn’t he surprised to see a production bolt gun come out soon.

I had thought of starting with a CZ 527. To be honest, I don't know much about modifying bolt faces, bolt stops, mags, etc. I'm real good at swapping stocks and mounting rails...complicated stuff like that.

Do you think a 7.62x39 CZ 527 rebarreled to 6 ARC would feed out of the mag ok? Would you need to modify the bolt face? I was hoping to do a Tikka because I have others and a lot of compatible accessories, but I have a few CZs too. If rebarreling something in 7.62x39 is simpler (and will work better) I could be swayed away from a Tikka.

Why not just build a 6br? No messing with bolt faces or mags.

I should have clarified. Most of my enthusiasm for this hypothetical project is based on the assumption that 6 ARC will become wildly popular, as a result of Hornady's marketing and the DOD contracts, making factory ammo cheap and readily available (like .223).

Spoonbill

WKR
I had thought of starting with a CZ 527. To be honest, I don't know much about modifying bolt faces, bolt stops, mags, etc. I'm real good at swapping stocks and mounting rails...complicated stuff like that.

Do you think a 7.62x39 CZ 527 rebarreled to 6 ARC would feed out of the mag ok? Would you need to modify the bolt face? I was hoping to do a Tikka because I have others and a lot of compatible accessories, but I have a few CZs too. If rebarreling something in 7.62x39 is simpler (and will work better) I could be swayed away from a Tikka.

I should have clarified. Most of my enthusiasm for this hypothetical project is based on the assumption that 6 ARC will become wildly popular, as a result of Hornady's marketing and the DOD contracts, making factory ammo cheap and readily available (like .223).
It is my understanding that it should work since the 6.5 grendel is technically the parent case.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

As a trainer, yes the 1-8” twist 223 is better. In normal times, half the ammo cost, longer barrel life

I would choose the 1-8” twist 223 T3. However, if 6 ARC is what you want, send it to Shaen (shooter71) and let him do it. Should have no issue with mags either.

Spoonbill

WKR
As a trainer, yes the 1-8” twist 223 is better. In normal times, half the ammo cost, longer barrel life

I would choose the 1-8” twist 223 T3. However, if 6 ARC is what you want, send it to Shaen (shooter71) and let him do it. Should have no issue with mags either.
Not to hijack the thread too much but Form have you shot the 6mm arc yet? Curious how it compares to the grendel.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not to hijack the thread too much but Form have you shot the 6mm arc yet? Curious how it compares to the grendel.

Yes indeed. It’s better in every way. Personally, I think it’s what the Grendel should have been from the start (and a .224 version). It’s a factory loaded 6mm BR in use.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Thanks for the input @Formidilosus, really appreciate it. I know a 1:8 .223 Tikka is my answer, but the 6 ARC has an allure I can't explain. You describing it as a factory 6 BR certainly doesn't do much to dampen my enthusiasm!

I'd be building a .223 Tikka trainer right now if the world wasn't upside down. With so little ammo available, I'm just holding tight to see where we end up in the next few months.

In the meantime, I'll just waste time with hypotheticals. For example, if .223 and 6 ARC were readily available and similarly priced...which would you chose for a trainer?

Firth

FNG
Yes indeed. It’s better in every way. Personally, I think it’s what the Grendel should have been from the start (and a .224 version). It’s a factory loaded 6mm BR in use.
Recently finished a 224 Grendel in an AR. Still waiting on backordered 88 ELDs but the 75 ELDs work fine. For me, the 22s are just more fun to shoot. I considered 6 ARC in contemplating my build, but for my uses (mostly predators and targets) I though the 224 was better. But you have the hassles of dealing with a wildcat. Not too bad but still there. The way I look at it:

223 - Simple answer, best logistics under normal conditions, cheapest option
224 Grendel - dealing with a wildcat, least drop and drift, 22 caliber bullets are a little cheaper than 243
6 ARC - factory round, better performance than 223, similar to 224 Grendel

Lawnboi

WKR
They joy of 223 is you can load it dirt cheap. I wouldn’t count on finding cheap ammo again for a while, and even then I could load 77tmk ammo with Lapua brass cheaper than I could buy any factory 77tmk load.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
They joy of 223 is you can load it dirt cheap. I wouldn’t count on finding cheap ammo again for a while, and even then I could load 77tmk ammo with Lapua brass cheaper than I could buy any factory 77tmk load.
Thanks, I appreciate the input, but I don't reload so I'm just looking at factory offerings.

Wapiti1

WKR
As long as the .223/5.56 is the military round of choice, there is no scenario where the 6 ARC will be cheaper in the short or long term. You are making a giant assumption that the 6 ARC will catch on and someone other than Hornady will offer it.

While it is a well thought out cartridge, it's got a long way to go.

That said, if you want one, just get one. It will do all the stuff you want as a training rifle and as a hunting rifle. It just won't be as cheap to shoot. That said, the cost isn't going to be that different for premium .223 ammo.

Jeremy

Honestly not trying to hijack a thread but I think a 6.5 grendel tikka would be slicker than a minnow pecker.

Axlrod

WKR
A rifle that started as a 6.5 Grendel or 7.62 x 39 would be the easiest conversion. Ruger, CZ and Howa mini are a few. Preferred Barrels makes pre fits in 6Arc for the Ruger American and the Howa mini for under $400.
Here is a guy on 6.5Grendel forum that built a Tikka in 6.5 Grendel:

I Have several gas guns in each .223, 6 Arc, and 6.5 Grendel and bolt guns in .223 and 6.5 Grendel. My wolf/coyote gun is a gas gun in 6.5 Grendel.
As for factory ammo there are more 6.5 Grendel choices than 6Arc. Hornady is the only option for 6Arc ammo and brass.
All that being said the Tikka in .223 is hard to beat for what you want I would have that first, then "branch out"! LOL

Last edited:

Fivex475

FNG
Recently finished a 224 Grendel in an AR. Still waiting on backordered 88 ELDs but the 75 ELDs work fine. For me, the 22s are just more fun to shoot. I considered 6 ARC in contemplating my build, but for my uses (mostly predators and targets) I though the 224 was better. But you have the hassles of dealing with a wildcat. Not too bad but still there. The way I look at it:

223 - Simple answer, best logistics under normal conditions, cheapest option
224 Grendel - dealing with a wildcat, least drop and drift, 22 caliber bullets are a little cheaper than 243
6 ARC - factory round, better performance than 223, similar to 224 Grendel
Without looking at other threads I am curious , how does the 224 Grendel compare to the 224 Valkyrie ? Throat dimensions ? I am guessing the Grendel neck down with shorter case makes a bit longer throat for the long bullets ? Powder capacity ?

Last edited: