6 Elk points in Wyoming, solo, 53 years old, archery

So by the time I am able to get back to Wyoming I should have 8 points and I will be 55. I have the equipment to do a back pack hunt but as much as I hate to admit it at my age I would probably be better off hiring an outfitter. Most outfitters I have looked up are at least 5K and some are up to 9K+.

Looking for some recommendations on a good Wyoming outfitter for the 2021 or 2022 season with an honest opportunity to kill a mature Bull with archery equipment for 5K-6K.

If you have elk hunting experience, any archery specific hunt with that many points would probably give you a shot at a decent 6 point in Wyoming. Don’t need a guide, unless you don’t have any experience hunting elk. Just my opinion.

You might reach out to these folks.....I contacted them and they said they wont book you until you pull a tag for their unit. Takes alot of points apparently

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jrnorton4

FNG
We had a great hunt with Tangle Ridge Outfitters in Greybull, hunting Unit 40. You may have to put in for the Special Draw, we did.

OP
razorsharptokill
If you have elk hunting experience, any archery specific hunt with that many points would probably give you a shot at a decent 6 point in Wyoming. Don’t need a guide, unless you don’t have any experience hunting elk. Just my opinion.
I have bow hunted them twice once in Wyoming in a general area and once in Colorado. Not very experience at calling. I have the gear to do it. Access and location are my two biggest hurdles. I have a few years to zero in on a few areas and research it more.

I agree with this. One of the benefits (while I wish this werent the case) of hiring a guide though in Wyoming is access to wilderness and or private. Opens up a lot more units in that sense

Zeeman

FNG
So by the time I am able to get back to Wyoming I should have 8 points and I will be 55. I have the equipment to do a back pack hunt but as much as I hate to admit it at my age I would probably be better off hiring an outfitter. Most outfitters I have looked up are at least 5K and some are up to 9K+.

Looking for some recommendations on a good Wyoming outfitter for the 2021 or 2022 season with an honest opportunity to kill a mature Bull with archery equipment for 5K-6K.
Been hunting in Wyoming since the early 1990's. Bighorn Mountains area 37 ,38 41. Mostly archery but some rifle.. Have hunted with Ross Adney and his father "Beaver Trap Outfitters" Dayton Wyoming. Have had much success on quality bulls from 280 to 365!! They are excellent hunters and have a comfortable traditional elk camp in the Bighorns. Fair prices Also. Only problem is tags now. In the old days we hunted every year in 38 or 37 but now I have 6 points and cannot get a tag!! Probably going to burn them on a rifle tag before I get too old!! Check his website Those are some really nice bulls and those pics are not staged!!

Marble

WKR
Hunt as soon as you can. The isn't always a next time. I say this after battling cancer and losing friends to the same and other issues life deals up. I was only 37. Find a way, enjoy the journey. The animal isn't the trophy.

wapitibob

WKR
You have less than half the available points and it won't be any better in two years. Look at what you can draw now, research some outfits, then keep an eye on things till you can draw.

wytx

WKR
There is some dang good elk hunting in general areas, find an outfitter with private land in a general area and go hunt.