6 points, CO Archery Elk

GoChiefs

FNG
Hey public land owners: I’ve got 6 points and and hoping for some advice. Thinking I’m going to spend the points on unit 49. I like burn areas and have windshield scouted it a bit. I’m going to take my son opening week for his first hunt. We’ve camped together a fair bit and he does surprisingly well given his short legs. He’s beyond excited and I’m pretty anxious myself..

Has anyone hunted 49 after the Weston Pass burn?
Any other units to consider with 6 points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With 6 points you have three options.......draw 49, hold out for 76, or dump your points on a fewer point unit. Given everything I know.......I'd say it's a toss up between the first two options.

11boo

WKR
I did a second rifle cow hunt just 30 miles from there this year. I have never seen so many elk in a single week. I mean everywhere, from the bottom to 12k’. I’ve never hunted that weston pass unit though.

i turned down shots at yearlings every day, just knowing I would soon be dropping a fat mature cow. My freezer is empty,lol.

11boo

WKR
I forgot, found a really nice public range across the highway from Como. The Rifle pits should be open this year.

FED64928-9C86-4CAF-A8C2-8C046BCD78AC.jpeg

Yep, 49 and 76 are your primary options. Either of those units are going to require some serious hiking during archery season to get up to where the elk are. The Weston fire burned fairly low, and I would think you’d find most bulls above the burn during archery.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 12. Can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting a bull in that unit. Most of the bulls are under 325" but there are a few around.

OP
GoChiefs

GoChiefs

FNG
Thanks for the tips. I'm not really looking for a big bull, per se. Would I love to get a monster? Heck yeah. But more importantly I just want some decent action where we're not stepping on other hunters every 30 minutes.

Moreso i'm hoping my son gets addicted. I remember the first bugle I heard in the woods. Almost messed my pants with excitement.

Riplip

WKR
I don't think you have the points for 76, I haven't hunted in 49 but have spent some time there, beautiful area. I do know a guy that hunted there a few years ago and he had good things to say. Good luck, sounds like a fun time with your son.

In 2015, 2016, 2017 you had a chance with 6 points to draw 76 archery. In 2018 it went up to 7 points. In 2019 you had a 29% chance with 7pp. So this year 2020 you likely will still have a chance with 7pp. 2021 will likely be 8pp for a chance, so 9pp will probably guarantee a tag.

The OP might be able to draw 76 archery within 4 years. Could be longer though.

Draw this year if the timing is right for your son. If you try to wait for 76 there are two possibly bad outcomes: the point creep gets worse, or your son has lost interest by the time you can go.

So go this year with your son. And try not to set his expectations too high. This way he'll be truly surprised if you get into bugling bulls.

Unit 12. Can't hardly swing a dead cat without hitting a bull in that unit. Most of the bulls are under 325" but there are a few around.
Good feedback on unit 12 but that would be a waste of all those points wouldn't it? Looks like 12 was drawn out at 0 PP's last year (resident) and 2 PP's for NR's.

Ucsdryder

WKR
People crack me up. Do you really think someone is going to tell you the truth on a unit that you can’t swing a stick and not hit a bull? If I find a spot to hunt where I can’t swing a stick without hitting a bull I’m not broadcasting it on the internet and nobody else is either.

Oh yeah, and Idaho has 325” bulls behind every tree. It’s a no brainer. Colorado suck.

milesm12

FNG
I drew unit ** in 2016, we hunted la garita wilderness area. It was an incredible week of hunting, did everything but kill an elk...i can't imagine there being a better place to hunt elk than where we were. zero other people, multiple close encounters every single day with bulls, big and small. Yes, there are units where you'll have chances at bigger bulls if you wanted, but as far as opportunity goes, that place was literally unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted in both 76 and 49... just be sure you guys get in shape. The best elk I saw were in the roughest parts of the units.

Elk101

FNG
Hi Elktaco, I hunted Unit 12 first rifle in 2013. There was a ton of pressure and I was staying in a cabin, big mistake, so I couldn't get that deep into the unit each day. There was a ton of sign though and I could tell the elk were there in the summer and archery season in certain spots. Anyway, i drew the archery tag and am going next week. I am backpacking in and plan to keep moving until I'm in elk. This will be my second time out to CO. I've been escouting with the goHunt maps and marked some areas that look promising. Would love some feedback if you're willing. Not looking for any honey holes, just some general advice for a newb. Thanks!