6” vs 9” boots

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at the schnee’s kestrel and timberline boots but am having trouble deciding on if I want a 6 or a 9 inch boot. I’ve never owned/worn tall boots like the timberlines so I figured I would ask about them here. What are the pros and cons of wearing such a tall boot? Do they get in the way, make walking more difficult, etc? Are they super hot? Thanks!

Tall boots are no problem walking. I wear the Timberlines as my early season boot. The annoying thing about lower boots is stuff getting down in them. Pine needles and such. Also it helps for stream crossings as they’ll be waterproof nearly all the way up. The protection and support is nice. Like monster trucking all over the mountain.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go 9" and never look back. I've worn 10" (Kenetrek) boots the last 4 seasons and will never get a 6" in a serious mountain boot again, with the extra support being the biggest reason.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^
Same as above... it's like a straight jacket for your ankle and lower leg. More peace of mind when crawling around in loose/large rock or shale.

I do have an 8” Crispi Nevada as well and would absolutely not go shorter. I almost feel naked that short. And I’m someone that doesn’t need ankle support. I can hike fine in trail runners. Never roll ankles. But 8” is my minimum just due to the protection, keeping out debris, and stream crossings.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have the Timberlines, which, by the way, are a phenomenal boot, and am also looking for a 6" boot. All my life, I've used trail runners and locking my ankles up in tall boots like the Timberlines is not comfortable for me.

Over decades, I've contorted my ankles stepping on downed branches, or loose rocks, but never strained or sprained them. As soon as I started locking up my ankles in the Timberlines, I think the energy involved in twisting my foot in an odd manner gets transferred to or absorbed by my knee. They've been hurting lately and I've never had a problem until I wore tall boots. I don't want to have knee problems.

I'll continue to use my Timberlines but will only lace them up part way. Meanwhile, I'm on the hunt for a 6" version of the Timberline. I tried the Schnee Divide Mid but they fit tighter than the Timberline. I am definitely going to try the Schnee Kestrel.

A short answer to your original question about whether a tall boot gets in the way or makes walking more difficult is....Yes and Yes...at least for me. A significant difference and I haven't found any benefit to make up for the downsides of a tall boot. They're not for me.

Last edited:
OP
tpicou

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I’m leaning towards the timberlines but wiiawiwb makes a good point about the potential for knee injuries so that definitely sounds like something to keep in mind.

Tsal

FNG
Tall boots are sure nice in the snow. I still wear gaiters in snowy conditions, but like the double protection of both gaiters and taller boots to keep socks dry(-ier).

JRMiller

WKR
For me needs to be pretty cold/wet to wear 9+ just too hot for me early season.
6 when its hot and 9 when its cold

Taller boots are better if there are a lot of pokies where you hunt. Most gaiters provide little to no protection against them.

Following. Trying to decide this myself. I’d like to use mine for hiking, treestand hunting here in the east and hopefully going out west for a hunt. That’s probably asking too much out of one boot but dang they’re so durn expensive! I’m leaning towards a 6” boot since that’s what I wear now including my steel toes for work.

I have both the timberline and kestrel. I have always used 6” boots for work (Southwest Asia, Africa and the Middle East) and they’ve worked great. So far, the kestrels are new for me but offer amazing comfort and stability. I wear them every day and for work. However, I will be wearing the 9” timberlines when I head out to CO in sept for early elk archery. The timberlines wear like a stout 6” not a traditional leg hugging 9-10” boot. I’m 6’3 230lbs and they are amazingly comfortable. I truly don’t think you can go wrong with either. However, heavy weight down scree or steep hills, I’d stick to the timberlines.

Following. Trying to decide this myself. I’d like to use mine for hiking, treestand hunting here in the east and hopefully going out west for a hunt. That’s probably asking too much out of one boot but dang they’re so durn expensive! I’m leaning towards a 6” boot since that’s what I wear now including my steel toes for work.
You can order 200g thinsulate inserts from Schnees. I did this for the exact reason you’re talking about. I stand hunt here in NC quite often and those inserts are Money.