60 vs 60A vs 22 Blades

marktole

WKR
Referring to the blades for a standard Havalon or a Tyto knife. The blades that came with the Tyto knife I ordered I thought were kind of flimsy, pretty sure they're the 60 model. Could have also been operator error that I broke a couple taking down a mule deer with them.

I have read the 60A are supposed to be thicker and more durable? Anyone have any first hand experience to share? What about the size 22 blades, I know they're shorter?

I have some Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives that I like a little better, but the blades are expensive compared to the 60/60A blades. Might save money on blades if folks think the 60A is a little more durable. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

tdot

WKR
The 60A is definitely thicker/ more durable then the 60, I also find it holds an edge slightly longer. But neither blade is meant to be twisted or torqued on. I like the shape of the 22, but wish it was the same length as the 60, it's seems to dull faster then the 60, though this may be due to the shorter cutting length.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I will break 4-5 60XT blades on an elk versus maybe 1-2 60A blades. I certainly don't "baby" them when breaking down a bull.......when solo I'm looking at speed, not being meticulous. I also use a fixed blade knife in the process as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
I will break 4-5 60XT blades on an elk versus maybe 1-2 60A blades. I certainly don't "baby" them when breaking down a bull.......when solo I'm looking at speed, not being meticulous. I also use a fixed blade knife in the process as well.

Ya, we break them too. Who's got the best price on 50? Seems like it may be from Havalon.

Last edited:
I only use the 60A. They are comparably cheap in the grand view of things, so I don't mind just swapping them out after every animal.

I use an esee iszula for going around the joints and anywhere I need to really dig, twist, or pry. The risk of cutting myself trying to get out a broken blade isn't worth it to me.

I bought a 50 pack from Amazon during the off season. They had the best price at the time.

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Midway USA has 50 pack on sale now for $24

Thanks for the tip, I actually bought some off of Amazon a week ago. They seem a little stiffer than the regular 60 blades, but we'll see when they actually get put to use!

ao3004

FNG
I also vote for 60A. I can skin and process a whole moose with one blade. The 60XT are garbage and dull and break too quickly. The 22 are very durable but not quite as sharp as 60 blades. The 70 A blades are alright too if you dont want the sharp point of the 60 blades

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
Update: took me 3 of the 60A blades blades to break down a cow elk. They were definitely stiffer than the 60XT and I never had issues with them flexing or breaking.

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I always remember the XT to stand for ‘Xtra Thin’. 60A blades are no doubt more durable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used two 60A blades on my moose as the first one got dull and didn't break any. But while processing it at home I decided to use my old XT's just to use them up. One minute into a front shoulder and a blade snapped. I searched and searched for that thing and didn't find it. I even ran a strong magnet over the meat and everywhere around the area with no luck. Then found it a week later completely on the other side of the garage. I guess I'll use the rest of my XT's to open mail.