60mm objective or 80mm

NB7

WKR
Hoping for some input and opinions from those that have used spotting scopes with 60mm objectives compared to 80mm objectives. I'm trying to make comparisons for purchase, but don't have much experience with either. For reference, I'm talking about scenarios of daypack trips from the truck and/or up to an overnight trip, but not week long excursions deep into the back country. I know that would probably make sense to go with the lightest option. Any input would be appreciated in terms of what you have found for pros, cons and trade offs, such as the better light gathering ability of the 80 compared to the lesser weight of the 60. Seems they average about a pound less than the 80s. Also, my price point is going to fall somewhere in the $350 to $900 range. I appreciate the cost and quality of super high end glass, but it's just not in my budget as of now. Also, I've looked the forum over as much as I could for a similar post, so if I missed on and this is redundant you can point me in that direction too. Thanks

FlyGuy

WKR
Generally speaking, my thoughts are that for day hunts you can much more easily get by with the heavier weight of an 80mm scope, since you are not packing camp or food for a week.

But, for that price point I think you have to be very careful that you don’t waste money. I don’t know all the options available in 80mm at your price point, but there are going to be some bad choices that you will regret sinking money into. I’d look at used gear and also at a 55mm scope. You can find a vortex 55 used for around $500 most times, and that is a great little scope. I have a 77mm Kowa but I probably pack that little vortex more.

Also, give the guys at cameraland a call. They know their stuff and can put you into the best option for your budget.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Reactions: NB7
I also urge you to look at this purchase as a stepping stone to an eventual greater system. Either make sure what you buy has good resale value or aim for a good small spotter that will always have its place in your system. When you can invest ~$1800 then it is worth looking to an 80mm spotter. Also, when you have an 80mm spotter, you want to invest a few hundred bucks into a decent tripod and head. For a small spotter, you’ll be well off with putting less than $100 towards the tripod/head.

FlyGuy

WKR
I also urge you to look at this purchase as a stepping stone to an eventual greater system. Either make sure what you buy has good resale value or aim for a good small spotter that will always have its place in your system. When you can invest ~$1800 then it is worth looking to an 80mm spotter. Also, when you have an 80mm spotter, you want to invest a few hundred bucks into a decent tripod and head. For a small spotter, you’ll be well off with putting less than $100 towards the tripod/head.

Great point. There are cheap tripods out there, but none that you will be happy with running an 80mm scope. For reference, I’m roughly a grand into my outdoorsmans tripod (complete set up). I’m not rich, but one Aoudad hunt with lower quality glass changed my life.

So that’s another reason to go with a small spotter.

Or, you may be better off to sink that money into better binos. If your binos are sufficient, then maybe put the money towards a solid tripod system to use with your binos. That’s what you tend to spend 80% of your time glassing with anyways.

Loper

WKR
I’d look at used gear and also at a 55mm scope. You can find a vortex 55 used for around $500 most times, and that is a great little scope. I have a 77mm Kowa but I probably pack that little vortex more.

I’m interested in this topic as well, since I am in a very similar situation.

[mention]FlyGuy [/mention] are you referring to the 11x33x50mm Vortex Razor?

Loper

WKR
Thanks. My neighbor just bought that Razor and I was very surprised at how compact and lightweight it is. Good to know you use that scope more than the 77mm Kowa.

FlyGuy

WKR
Thanks. My neighbor just bought that Razor and I was very surprised at how compact and lightweight it is. Good to know you use that scope more than the 77mm Kowa.

Yep, I do. I’m not saying it’s “better”, OT by a long shot. But for most of the hunting I do the 77 is just unnecessary weight in my pack.