620 grains 168 fps Enough to Kill an elk at 30-35 yards.

GregB

WKR
After shooting at 30 yards I started to question whether they would have enough energy left at 30-35 yards to get through the vitals on an elk. Haven't shot anything with the stick so looking for some opinions.

OP
G

GregB

WKR
Looks like I need to keep plugging away on my accuracy at those ranges thanks

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, but why? A 500-520 grain arrow will give you more penetration & a flatter trajectory in the 180's fps! Just a thought!

ElkNut

OP
G

GregB

WKR
Yes, but why? A 500-520 grain arrow will give you more penetration & a flatter trajectory in the 180's fps! Just a thought!

ElkNut
Long story short, I needed some new arrows on short notice, local archery shop didn't have anything, I had 1 Gold Tip traditional classic sitting around. Got it to tune really quick, and had a half dozed shipped. I pull about 58# on my bow and generally I am around 560-580 on my arrows. This year just hasn't gone quite as planned.

ledflight

WKR
Wouldn't Heavier arrows lose less penetration through flight as their velocity doesn't drop as much as a lighter arrow, and more of their momentum comes from the mass, not the velocity? - just my understanding. Think a wiffle ball vs baseball...
I guess you'd need to run a chrono 30 yards out to see what your speed there is.

Last edited:

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
I have not shot an elk but everyone i have talked to has said that is enough for most any big game. Thats about what im shooting for moose so i will let you know if i connect this weekend.