64st map upgrades?

Whats the best upgrade for the mapping on a garmin 64st,is it worth it and does it even compare to the iPhone/gaia mapping?

DrHogfan

FNG
I’ve manually added caltopo overlays on mine. But that was prior to offline maps on mobile devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Curious if a onx chip is better how does it work sence the gps has its own,does the chip automatically upgrade landowners etc?

DrHogfan

FNG
Curious if a onx chip is better how does it work sence the gps has its own,does the chip automatically upgrade landowners etc?

It works well, it’s not as easy to use as on a smartphone and not as clear. The chips are usually per state or region but the regions don’t have landowner info I don’t believe. Honestly I have mapping software on my phone but I have gone back to map and compass. I have a garmin watch that will give my UTM coordinates I can plot on my map of I can’t tell where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericwh

WKR
I make my own maps for my 64st. I usually do the following for accessible lands and roads:
  1. download Unit Map from Toprut which usually includes land ownership and public roads
  2. download any HMA/WMA maps from Wyoming G&F etc
  3. upload to and filter/format the above in Caltopo
  4. Export caltopo to gpx file
  5. convert gpx file to img file using "imgfromgpx" which is free
  6. put the gmapsupp.img file in the correct location on the garmin and it shows up automatically, as an overlay over the topo map.

OP
C
Im definitely not computer savvy,i think i read were the onx chips had land owner info but how do you upgrade it every few years?