65mm STM vs 65mm STX vs STC

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m selling my non-HD STS and 15s and upgrading my spotter. I’m torn between these 3. I don’t love the weight on the STX but like the modularity. I love the idea of the STC and think it would be the best for using as I’d use the 15s when backed off to 17x. I like the STM as the best all-arounder. Looking for opinions!

BBob

WKR
I own a 65 HD STM and agree it’s a great all around compromise for optical quality and weight but you can’t buy them unless you find a used one and they don’t seem to come up very often. X’s indeed are great and better optically than the S’s (and M’s) but heavy. I’m intrigued by the new C series. I’m waiting for one to come in so we can check it out and see how it does against my 65 HD STM. A spotter is no substitute for 15’s, you’re fooling yourself if you think one will be as effective as a binocular.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 65 HD STM and agree it’s a great all around compromise for optical quality and weight but you can’t buy them unless you find a used one and they don’t seem to come up very often. X’s indeed are great and better optically than the S’s (and M’s) but heavy. I’m intrigued by the new C series. I’m waiting for one to come in so we can check it out and see how it does against my 65 HD STM. A spotter is no substitute for 15’s, you’re fooling yourself if you think one will be as effective as a binocular.
Oh I know an STC won’t replace 15s for overall glassing. I live in NC now though and can’t justify 15s with how rarely I get to use them so I’ll primarily use 10s on a tripod and a spotter.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Also, do you really think the STX is noticably better optically?

BBob

WKR
Also, do you really think the STX is noticably better optically?
Side by side absolutely, mby not huge but it’s noticeable. Similar to but greater than the difference between an HD and a non HD in the S series, certainly noticeable. How much would it matter to you? Hard to say but when I’m trying to keep pack size and weight down I grab the STM every time and take the compromise. It still does very well IMO. Actually the STM is the only 65 I have anymore, I sold the 65X objective because I hardly used it.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Side by side absolutely, mby not huge but it’s noticeable. Similar to but greater than the difference between an HD and a non HD in the S series, certainly noticeable. How much would it matter to you? Hard to say but when I’m trying to keep pack size and weight down I grab the STM every time and take the compromise. It still does very well IMO. Actually the STM is the only 65 I have anymore, I sold the 65X objective because I hardly used it.
Sounds like we think alike

BBob

WKR
FYI an STM 65 HD 25-50 popped up in the classifieds.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
FYI an STM 65 HD 25-50 popped up in the classifieds.
Thanks. I saw it. I’m tempted but I have someone else potentially going to sell me a 20-60 STM

BBob

WKR
Trust me, you’ll like the 25-50 better than the 20-60 especially on a 65. Even on my 80 I preferred the 25-50. Is just a better lens.