6mm ARC vs 6mm Creedmoor Shorty?

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Having a chat with a buddy the other day who insisted that a 16" 6mm ARC would outperform a 16" 6mm Creedmoor using the same bullet... (both in bolt guns)

Can somebody else help explain this? My "buddy" is an avid reloader and gun nut, but on paper when I crunch numbers the creedmoor would still outperform the arc by quite a bit based on factory Hornady 108 Eld-M ammo

I currently have a 26" 6 creed barrel but would like to spin on another in 16 or 18" to be a little handier for Texas deer/hog hunting

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the creed has the advantage, everything else being the same. I just don’t think you could fit a 6 creed in an ar15 platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
It's not even worth a discussion, even in a 16in barrel the 6CM is hundreds of fps faster than the 6ARC.

For me, in a bolt gun the 6ARC has no value but I wouldn't mind having a complete upper in 6ARC for one of my AR15's.

6ARC will be cool if Howa ever sells it as a barreled action on their mini action. Makes for a crazy lightweight 6.5 grendel in their Howa carbon stalker

Hudge

FNG
I’m a Reloader and I have a 6 ARC, though it’s a gas gun. The 6 Creed wins every time, if we are talking velocities. Accuracy wise, I’d say flip a coin.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I’d guess it’s tied to the myth that bigger cartridges need more barrel length. Like the saying cutting a 300wm down turns it into a 308win.

Here some good info from way back…..

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I’d guess it’s tied to the myth that bigger cartridges need more barrel length. Like the saying cutting a 300wm down turns it into a 308win.

Here some good info from way back…..
I'd say that for peak performance they do. A large volume of slow burning powder takes more barrel to burn. However a 300WM will always beat a 308 given the same barrel length.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that for peak performance they do. A large volume of slow burning powder takes more barrel to burn. However a 300WM will always beat a 308 given the same barrel length.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Not really. The powder is pretty much all burned/turned into gas within the first few inches of barrel length.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
6ARC will be cool if Howa ever sells it as a barreled action on their mini action. Makes for a crazy lightweight 6.5 grendel in their Howa carbon stalker
Looks like your prayers have been answered. I can't find the weight but I bet it's the one they mention that is only 4lbs 5oz. Wild.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Looks like your prayers have been answered. I can't find the weight but I bet it's the one they mention that is only 4lbs 5oz. Wild.
Buddy had the Grendel mini and just sold it. 4lb 10oz is what his weighed fwiw.